Why TPMS is the Most Useless Warning Light

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't agree wiith this more. TPMS is totally useless and I'm so glad that companies like AEV and Superchips offer a way to just turn it the damn thing off.

Why The Tire Pressure Light Is The Most Useless Warning Light
original.jpg

Warning lights have never been the most helpful thing in the world. They're there to tell you when something's about to go wrong, but without giving you a good estimate on how severe or how soon things are going to get really screwed up. A warning light just tells you to be a little more on edge.

Your instrument panel is full of lights that tell you when something's happening – or isn't. There's one if your parking brake is on, one if you turned off your traction control, one if your seatbelt isn't on. When my car flashes the airbag light, what am I supposed to do exactly, not crash? Thanks, I knew that already. But the most useless of all is the one for the tire pressure monitoring system, given the rather unfortunate abbreviation of TPMS...

See the whole article here:
http://jalopnik.com/5973322/why-the-tire-pressure-light-is-the-most-useless-warning-light

MTG

Caught the Bug
Agreed. How's this for F'd. On my wife's navigator you have to program the TPMS every time you rotate the tires. No problem right? Wrong! Only the dealership can do it. Needless to say we get false warning light about once a day.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Agreed. How's this for F'd. On my wife's navigator you have to program the TPMS every time you rotate the tires. No problem right? Wrong! Only the dealership can do it. Needless to say we get false warning light about once a day.

On my F150 they failed like 3 or 4 times and I had them replaced under warranty and still the same thing happened. Finally I said F it and just dealt with the light.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I turned mine off and did away with the sensors when the beadlocks went on. Fortunately I had a dealer that was willing to use their computer to turn it off. Now, if I could just turn off the damn stability control so I can drift in the snow....

soct

I turned mine off and did away with the sensors when the beadlocks went on. Fortunately I had a dealer that was willing to use their computer to turn it off. Now, if I could just turn off the damn stability control so I can drift in the snow....

1. Turn jeep on
2. Set to 4hi
3. Set parking brake
4. Make sure steering wheel is centered
5. Turn wheel to the right, 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, you may hear a chime at 5 seconds(and ESP OFF may show up on the speedo), but keep holding for 7 seconds!!!!
6. Turn wheel back to center then left 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, again, hold for 7 seconds!!!
7. Turn back to center, and hold ESP for 7 seconds.
8. Turn Jeep off

Hope this helps.;) Full disclosure, I didn't do this myself. Just found the instructions. Good luck.

TwtPunk08JK

1. Turn jeep on
2. Set to 4hi
3. Set parking brake
5. Turn wheel to the right, 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, you may hear a chime at 5 seconds(and ESP OFF may show up on the speedo), but keep holding for 7 seconds!!!!
6. Turn wheel back to center then left 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, again, hold for 7 seconds!!!
8. Turn Jeep off

Hope this helps.;) Full disclosure, I didn't do this myself. Just found the instructions. Good luck.

I've done this before. Saw the steps online and wanted to know if it actually worked. I was amazed at how easy it was to turn off the ESP. :D

Sent from my Xoom using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jersey_Devil

On my F150 they failed like 3 or 4 times and I had them replaced under warranty and still the same thing happened. Finally I said F it and just dealt with the light.

My dad got new wheels for his 06 Tacoma and he didn't know he had tpms till I saw he declined them from desert rats order slip, so I put the wheels on anyway and we put his stock wheels and tires in the yard and just keep em aired up and the light only turns on when one is low... He even drove two states away.... No light. Dunno if anyone else tried this..... Worked for us

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
1. Turn jeep on
2. Set to 4hi
3. Set parking brake
8. Turn Jeep off

:banghead::banghead::banghead: I feel like an idiot. I remember reading that one time. Thank you for sharing that. I'm on the way out the door to turn that damn thing off.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Kinda makes one wonder how did we ever get along all these years without that light? Jeep, how about trading the TPMS for a locking gas cap?:thinking:

dahreno

Banned
tpms

I will look at AEV and Superchips to see what they offer to turn off the tpms . I have broken 3 out of four of my monitors on rocks years ago and replaced them with standard rubber ones . I am so used to seeing the light on the dash , I hardly even notice anymore , but it would be nice to not have it on anymore !

TrailRidden

''When my car flashes the airbag light, what am I supposed to do exactly, not crash? Thanks, I knew that already.''

hahahaha. Best part.:cheesy:

soct

bdmckenna, you are welcome.
Linebacker, I agree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Last edited:

bl17z90

I will look at AEV and Superchips to see what they offer to turn off the tpms . I have broken 3 out of four of my monitors on rocks years ago and replaced them with standard rubber ones . I am so used to seeing the light on the dash , I hardly even notice anymore , but it would be nice to not have it on anymore !

Take the light out? :thinking:

Idk I'm good at ignoring things that claim to be "important"

But based on what I learned, TPMS is now required by law because it helps with fuel milage to be aired up properly. They claim if your tire is at all low your fuel economy will be lower and then we will be killing the enviorment faster.......now don't get me wrong I don't see anything wrong with preserving the enviroment, I love some of the views you can see when you go on a good long hike or wheel your Jeep out into the middle of nowhere, but i feel like some people are getting a little crazy.

FoxC

The TMPS on our Avalanche just plain suck. We get readings that are all over the place...no where near being accurate. :naw:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Every time the weather changes here in TX my light goes off. It was relatively warm a couple days ago and then a cold spurt hits and my tire pressure drops and that stupid light comes on when I start up and stays on. I've had the same issue with my wife's Mazda... WTH

Not to mention being aired down... :doh:

bl17z90

I have to say my JK TPMS is better than any other vehicle I have ever owned. The trip from home to work on a cold morning was enough to make the damn thing go off :banghead:

PurpleHayes519

I absolutely cannot stand those damn TPMS warnings that pop up. There are people like us, you know... the ones with common sense. And then there are people who fill their tires up to 60psi saying 'I don't know why my light is on, my tires aren't low.' I work at a Cadillac dealership as a service porter and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to refrain myself from laughing in a customers face as to how stupid they can be. But hey, you can't fix stupid right? Even worse are the people who come in and say 'my tire warning light came on but I don't know how to fill up my tires.' :doh:

Adam

CerOf

I thought they were cool on my old WJ, but then, they gave me the actual psi number for each tire.

I used my hypertech to set my tpms at 25. I run 30 cold. If I hit 25, there's a problem.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Top Bottom