Coil spring swap

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Thinking about changing my 3 inch BDS coils for some 3 inch plush rides. How hard would that be for a non mechanic to do by himself and are there any special tools needed or that would make it go smoothly without bloodshed or filling the swear jar with whats left of my jeep mod money? Is there a write up for this, looked and couldn't find one? Assuming no skills how long would it take?

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
Thinking about changing my 3 inch BDS coils for some 3 inch plush rides. How hard would that be for a non mechanic to do by himself and are there any special tools needed or that would make it go smoothly without bloodshed or filling the swear jar with whats left of my jeep mod money? Is there a write up for this, looked and couldn't find one? Assuming no skills how long would it take?

It should be easy to do with some hand tools. The biggest thing would be to get enough droop to take out the coils and to put the new ones in.

You'll have to undo the bottom bolts for the shocks and possibly even the controls arms to get enough droop.

10abadilla/jk

I have the same coils I rented a spring compressor from oriellys. Its very easy to do. Jack up the jeep to release pressure off of your springs and use the 2 compressors the kit you rent comes with. To compress it until you can remove them. And do the same to install them.

Attachments

• 1472602197231.jpg
    1472602197231.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 190

thardy

Banned
Being that you don't have any experience with it, I would suggest at least having a few folks for assistance.

As trailless said, you will definitely have to undo the bottom shock bolt and you will need the ability to have your axle sitting a full droop. It's possible to do it without removing your control arms, but you will need someone to help flex the axle enough to drop the coil and to be able to get the new one installed. This will be difficult and dangerous by yourself, if you don't have a lift.

thardy

Banned
I have the same coils I rented a spring compressor from oriellys. Its very easy to do. Jack up the jeep to release pressure off of your springs and use the 2 compressors the kit you rent comes with. To compress it until you can remove them. And do the same to install them.

What about a spring compressor tool? Are they any good or worth it?

Personally, I'm not a fan of spring compressors. They are a lot more dangerous than I like to mess with, when you can have someone move the axle enough to remove the spring and reinstall.

DannyD

It definitely helps to have at least 2 people and I agree that coil compressors can be a pain. If you disconnect everything and have someone there to help get the axle down you should be just fine, just be carful and take your time.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It definitely helps to have at least 2 people and I agree that coil compressors can be a pain. If you disconnect everything and have someone there to help get the axle down you should be just fine, just be carful and take your time.

I, personally use a bottle jack, to jack up the side opposite from the one I'm taking the spring out of. That helps it droop more. Taking the drive shaft loose in front helps, too.

bthomas

As stated above disconnect the shocks, and disconnect your swaybar links from the axles, and you should be able to let the axle droop enough, you may well need a second hand with the longer coils. Make sure and use some good safe jack stands, and the tip on jacking up the opposite side of the axle that your working on is a good one too. Also watch your brake lines/ABS wires, breather hoses and any locker wiring or air lines if you have them. Pretty easy job with basic tools, check out the write above, that will help a bunch too.
Front bump stop extensions can be unbolted from the axle pads and removed/replaced while sitting inside the coil also, that might save a little un-needed effort. Auto parts store spring compressors are pretty sketchy, and not really need for our jeeps.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Stupid easy to do. No spring compressor needed. If you need help I would be glad to try and set up a day

10abadilla/jk

You don't need them at all. I did because my Jack didn't go high enough to allow the coils to pull out.

And I didn't drop the axle. Or disconnect sway bars etc. It is easier with another set of hands. I did mine with a spring compressor and it took less then 5 min to do both. Yes there is a way easier way. I unfortunately did not take it.

Donner85

I can change both front springs in a matter of 20 minutes. Take off lower shock bolts and lower sway bar bolts. Using my high lift jack, hook one of the d rings on my bumper and jack it up, change spring, let back down. Repeat on the other side. Don't even have to take my tires off.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I can change both front springs in a matter of 20 minutes. Take off lower shock bolts and lower sway bar bolts. Using my high lift jack, hook one of the d rings on my bumper and jack it up, change spring, let back down. Repeat on the other side. Don't even have to take my tires off.

Wow that's really fast for doing all that. And even with the tires on?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

That sounds safe. Highlift all the way extended and pulling and pushing on the axle, what could possible go wrong?

Top Bottom