Worth it?

robx251

Caught the Bug
So, I have been looking around on ebay for some new tires because I am looking for some bigger rubber. I have been looking for some 35s because that is what I had on my old jk. But I found a killer deal on a,time new 37s I can get all four shipped for 800. They are the federal courtega mt. Now I had those in 35 and liked them. My conundrum is I know that where I have 2 door rubicon stock 4.10 gears, manual, 1.25 spacers and a 2.5 level kit.

I understand, that I'll have to do something with the fenders before I really get out and play hard with it for rubbing issues. While I really like the thought of the 37s the 35s really took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Other than being a pig on the highway and being geared tall for the 37s. It's new only 5k miles on it and don't want to crack the seal just yet on the axles. What other downsides should I expect for the 37s v 35s.

Btw. The 37s are $120 cheaper than the 35s

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I ran my old 2 door on 37s with the stock 4.10 gearing and manual....it wasnt terrible other than loosing 6th gear on the highway for the most part. Wheeling was fine except on large rocks and stuff like that I would stall out quite a bit. I would suggest if you havent already done so, get some c-gussets welded on which is all I ever ran, other than upgraded drive shafts. Things will wear faster with 37s tho.

mojave5

So, I have been looking around on ebay for some new tires because I am looking for some bigger rubber. I have been looking for some 35s because that is what I had on my old jk. But I found a killer deal on a,time new 37s I can get all four shipped for 800. They are the federal courtega mt. Now I had those in 35 and liked them. My conundrum is I know that where I have 2 door rubicon stock 4.10 gears, manual, 1.25 spacers and a 2.5 level kit.

I understand, that I'll have to do something with the fenders before I really get out and play hard with it for rubbing issues. While I really like the thought of the 37s the 35s really took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Other than being a pig on the highway and being geared tall for the 37s. It's new only 5k miles on it and don't want to crack the seal just yet on the axles. What other downsides should I expect for the 37s v 35s.

Btw. The 37s are $120 cheaper than the 35s

I'm running my 2dr with 37 mud grapplers on about 3" of lift. With my set up i am able to fully stuff them without rubbing, it's all in how you do it. I pieced my suspension together though instead of buying a standard kit.

As for everything else, i highly recommend c-gussets and sleeves before wheeling it with 37's. Also make sure your backspacing on your rims is right, some 37's, such as mine, are 13.5 wide vs. 12.5.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Don't waste your money on sleeves. Housing breaks aren't very common and the sleeves will do nothing to prevent the tubes from bending where they meet the pumpkin.

mojave5

Don't waste your money on sleeves. Housing breaks aren't very common and the sleeves will do nothing to prevent the tubes from bending where they meet the pumpkin.

Would you recommend going straight to chromoly shafts then? I agree its the best route, but also a lot more expensive if he is worried about money.

This is also for personal knowledge, thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Would you recommend going straight to chromoly shafts then? I agree its the best route, but also a lot more expensive if he is worried about money.

This is also for personal knowledge, thanks!

I'd get c-gussets and then wheel what I have. If you break a shaft then replace it, but I see no point in spending the money right out of the gate.

geberhard

Douchebag
To the OP, what type of wheeling do you do and how much highway usage vs offroad? If you are thinking long term as far as going to 37's might as well do it now rather than kick yourself later, and do the DIY fender trimming (there is a great write up and several pics here).

Top Bottom