P0306 STRIKES RUBICAT AGAIN : Jeep JK Wrangler Cylinder 6 Misfire

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Last week, Cindy and I packed up Rubicat and headed out bright and early to make our way down to Shaver Lake and with plans of taking her out to the Dusy Ershim Trail. Unfortunately, just as we were passing a pickup pulling a trailer up a long grade about a half hour out of town, our engine started to run really rough and the check engine light on the dash started blinking and dinging at us. After pulling over to the side of the highway, I popped open the hood and did a quick visual check to see if anything obvious could be seen.
HRVS7336.jpg

With everything looking good, I decided to hook up a Superchips Flashcal we had with us to see what check engine codes we were getting and... we were getting a dreaded P0306. Translation, a Cylinder 6 Misfire.
FLIY0328.jpg

Now, for anyone who has a 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler or even in some cases, a 2013, you most likely know that the all new 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine that had just come out was prone to having a bad cylinder head. Like so many of you, we ended up having to have ours replaced very early on and thankfully, under warranty. The link below chronicles what had happened to us back in 2012:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1195-2012-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Check-Engine-Light-on-RubiCAT-P0306

When Rubicats engine started to crap out on us this time around, we knew we had experienced something like it before but were hard pressed to think it might be the same thing. But, after seeing what code we were getting, a P0306, it was hard not to think we might have another bad head. Sure enough, as we hobbled our way back home, Cindy started to do some research and much to her surprise, found there was in fact a new TSB that FCA issued and it was for an extended warranty on the "left cylinder head on 2011-2012 and some 2013 vehicles equipped with the 3.6L engine". The TSB 09-002-14 or X56 - Extended Warranty now covered the cylinder head "10 years or 150,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the vehicle's In-Service Date". Needless to say, as soon as we got back home from our trip, we made an appointment at Carson City Jeep and brought her in today.
XEIF4515.jpg

Just to make sure we didn't influence anything, we kept quiet and let our service advisor, Tom Koche do a scan and come to his own conclusion as to what might be wrong. And, while he couldn't give a definitive diagnosis, he pointed out that we had a cylinder 6 misfire and explained that it might be a bad cylinder head. He went on to inform us that if it is, FCA had extended the warranty on it and that it might get covered. Too soon to say for sure what the exact problem is but I was happy to hear him volunteer this information rather than have me bring it up.
SPLQ0320.jpg

We won't hold our breath but if we can get this covered under warranty, we will be two very happy campers. I'll be sure to post up more once I find out what's going on.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
That's great. I was wondering about warranty on it, when I saw the post on Instagram a few days ago.

Rb1boxer_3

Man bummer that happened to my 2012 rubi and I had Chrysler buy it back. Now that I have a 2013. I hope it doesn't happen again. This time I'll just have them fix it.

JeepFan

Hooked
Hopefully it all works for the best.

I called my dealer today to make an appointment to have both front leather seat covers fixed. October 10th is the earliest they can look at it.

So dumb!!

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Just went through this last week with my 2012 JKU.......They (dealership) just replaced the cam and crank sensors the week prior and had run fine for about 4 days then started running rough again.....back to dealer and diagnosed with left head failure........got my rig back Friday and all is well so far......it was warrantied for the head but not the cam and crank sensors......hope they get things worked out for you and you get Rubicat back on the trails soon

~Woodrow~

DP1120

As soon as i seen this the first thought i had was we were about to have a second LS swap happening soon.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Hopefully it all works for the best.

I called my dealer today to make an appointment to have both front leather seat covers fixed. October 10th is the earliest they can look at it.

So dumb!!

f*ing service advisors!!!! Am i right??? hahahah

Trail JK

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. I was just wondering how Rubicat was doing while sitting in traffic today.

Kalums

Does anyone know to what point in 2013 that TSB covers? Mine was "assembled" in July of 2013, I was just wondering if I was lucky to get near the end of the 13' model year.
Edit: wow I feel rude, I was originally going to wish you guys luck, hopefully they cover it.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've been wondering if this was going to be a problem with mine but so far so good. I ordered it in November of 2011.

f*ing service advisors!!!! Am i right??? hahahah

Once they give me the run around I just say I'll See you next Tuesday!..;)

Top Bottom