Help from the pros please.

Newbster21

So let me give you a little bit of the backstory first. I wanted a jeep because I know how much fun they can be I had one before and traded it in and regretted it ever since. I have a 2016 Sahara I did a 4 inch Mopar lift, jps lower adjustable control arms, and 37 inch Toyo mud tires with the DVA rear bumper and tire carrier. Here's where the dilemma starts now I've got the itch I want to start wheelin but I need a front bumper, winch, rocker protectors, and fender flares but most of that stuff is cosmetic. I know I need to strengthen the front axle with a artic truss and gusset kit and money is limited so what should I do first and why? The cosmetic stuff or strengthening the front axle? Thanks for all advice in advance
Thanks,
Rick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're asking me, what you should do is not throw any money at your Dana 30 front axle. Beefing up the housing won't do squat in preventing a shaft or ring and pinion break and really, you're still gonna bend your housing if you really play as hard as you think. If it were me, I would just play with what you've got and look into buying something like a ProRock 44 when you can afford to replace it or find the need to replace it.

That being said, there's nothing cosmetic about good rocker protection. You can just trim your fenders and unless you plan on wheeling solo, there's really no need for a winch.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Hey, welcome to Wayalife. I would get some C gussets welded on as first priority, followed by bumper and winch, and then start stacking on the rest. I wouldn't truss your axle

Edit: I totally read past that you had a d30... You need a new front axle with those 37's. Don't bother gussets or truss

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So let me give you a little bit of the backstory first. I wanted a jeep because I know how much fun they can be I had one before and traded it in and regretted it ever since. I have a 2016 Sahara I did a 4 inch Mopar lift, jps lower adjustable control arms, and 37 inch Toyo mud tires with the DVA rear bumper and tire carrier. Here's where the dilemma starts now I've got the itch I want to start wheelin but I need a front bumper, winch, rocker protectors, and fender flares but most of that stuff is cosmetic. I know I need to strengthen the front axle with a artic truss and gusset kit and money is limited so what should I do first and why? The cosmetic stuff or strengthening the front axle? Thanks for all advice in advance
Thanks,
Rick

Don't waste your money on a truss. All you need is the C gussets.

You don't need a front bumper right away either. Just have some recovery straps and make sure you go wheeling with someone who can pull you out.

Cut your stock flares. It's free and looks good on color matches flares like you have.

Get some Evo or lod sliders and call it a day. They will be the last set you ever need.

Summary: get sliders, recovery straps, c gussets, and cut stock fenders. Do gussets and recovery gear first. I just saved you a shit ton of money till you can get a winch and front bumper.

geberhard

Douchebag
What Eddie said. I would trim fenders, add good rocker protection, have some decent attachment points and go wheeling with a group and have fun.

Newbster21

Thanks everyone for the solid advice! LOD rocker protectors it is. Also where to buy and get a fair price on a pro rock Dana 44 and any idea on cost?
Thanks,
Rick
P.s. Eddie this is all your fault I stumbled across one of your videos and now I can't wait to hit the trail! 😉👍🏻

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks everyone for the solid advice! LOD rocker protectors it is. Also where to buy and get a fair price on a pro rock Dana 44 and any idea on cost?
Thanks,
Rick
P.s. Eddie this is all your fault I stumbled across one of your videos and now I can't wait to hit the trail! 

Tons of options with that axle. Contact Dynatrac directly and they can answer any questions you have.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks,
Rick
P.s. Eddie this is all your fault I stumbled across one of your videos and now I can't wait to hit the trail! [emoji6][emoji106]🏻

Trail Jeeps, but as mentioned earlier, you can run what you have. You may be able to get quite a bit of use out of it, depending on how you wheel.

Ddays

Hooked
Are you still running stock gear ratio? If so a re-gear will help both on and off road performance. I agree throwing money on the D30 is a waste but depending on how hard you wheel it may last you a good long time and having close to stock
acceleration and MPG is nice. Don't go any higher than 4:88's though.

Newbster21

Yep running 3.73 with the trac lock upgrade not a locker but the limited slip I think. I didn't want to regear again to throw money into the D30. You guys are all awesome so many people made me paranoid thinking if it touched dirt it would self destruct.
Thanks,
Rick

Newbster21

So guys next question the shop I use asked if I wanted the LOD rock sliders bolted on or welded on which is better thanks for the help.

Rick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So guys next question the shop I use asked if I wanted the LOD rock sliders bolted on or welded on which is better thanks for the help.

Rick

No reason to not weld it on unless you think you're going to want to replace it someday.

Thanks,
Rick
P.s. Eddie this is all your fault I stumbled across one of your videos and now I can't wait to hit the trail! 

Welcome to the cult! LOL

Give us a call at 714-421-4314 or email us at sales@dynatrac.com and we'll be happy to go through everything with you and get a quote worked up on a ProRock for your Jeep. EVen if you're not ready to buy at this very minute, you'll have a no-guesswork idea of what it will cost and proceed accordingly from there.

Newbster21

Thanks to the crew at Dynatrac I will be calling you soon. Also wanted to give an update on progress getting LOD Rock sliders and some rocker armor installed today pics to follow along, also an AEV programmer for speedo and tire correction for tire size and gonna cut down the front stock bumper to a stubby size.

Rick

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Welcome to the cult! LOL

Give us a call at 714-421-4314 or email us at sales@dynatrac.com and we'll be happy to go through everything with you and get a quote worked up on a ProRock for your Jeep. EVen if you're not ready to buy at this very minute, you'll have a no-guesswork idea of what it will cost and proceed accordingly from there.

I may be giving you guys a call then too. Not ready to buy now but would be nice to know the ins and outs of when I want to buy.

Top Bottom