Jk Tilt!

Cptcoob

Hi everyone,
I had a 3.5" lift installed about a year and half ago or so, and now I noticed that my Jeep's body, is tilting to one side (passenger side fenders are about 1.5" lower than the driver side). The same thing happened to my YJ years ago. Am I the only one with this issue? What can I do to fix it?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
They almost all lean to the passenger side. You can install spacers above the springs on the pass side only.

rogerk93

The gas tank is on the passenger side causing more weight on that side. They sell spacers you can buy and place it on top of the passenger side spring and it will fix that lean.

SunDevilJk

Funny how these things work. I put on a lift last week, literally just noticed the lean this morning. Go on the forums and here is the answer.

Sullivan

It has nothing to do with gas tank. Some lifts are worse then others. My RK 3.5" has a considerable lean. My rear springs rotated a little while wheeling and when I put the orientation of the bottom of the spring back the right way, it helped a little. I still have the lean, but not as much

rogerk93

It has nothing to do with gas tank. Some lifts are worse then others. My RK 3.5" has a considerable lean. My rear springs rotated a little while wheeling and when I put the orientation of the bottom of the spring back the right way, it helped a little. I still have the lean, but not as much

So your saying the extra 22 gallons of gas weight on one side and all the Jeep's with the lean is on the same side of the gas tank is just coincidence. It must be new that manufactures are including the passenger side sag to make it easier for people to get in the jeep. Thanks for the heads up.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So your saying the extra 22 gallons of gas weight on one side and all the Jeep's with the lean is on the same side of the gas tank is just coincidence. It must be new that manufactures are including the passenger side sag to make it easier for people to get in the jeep. Thanks for the heads up.

The lean is present no matter the amount of fuel in the tank. It could be empty and it still has the lean.

rogerk93

The lean is present no matter the amount of fuel in the tank. It could be empty and it still has the lean.

I'm not saying it is happening because of the amount of fuel in the tank at the moment. But over time that extra weight can take a toll..

Sullivan

That's not what's causing the lean. Like the above poster, you can remove the whole tank and it will still lean and also still does with 500lbs on drivers side.

Tree Frog

Yup this just about freakin drove me nuts. I am way to OCD to let this lean slide.

Running coilovers I had the ability to jack up one side with the preload rings and to take out the preload from the other side.
Well guess what, no matter how much I would preload the passenger side the lean was still there and the vehicle would just get more lift. Okay shit now what?

I pulled the coilovers, swapped them side to side, changed out to heavier springs, and about a hundred other things to try to fix it.

I was only off about 3/4 of an inch. But I could see it. My garage floor is very flat side to side. Shot it in with a transit so I knew for sure.

Our good buddy Overlander came up with the answer. (Dont laugh it works) Change the length of your sway bar end links to account for the lean. It works like a charm. My rig sits flat as can be now.

Oh and believe it or not the fuel tank had absolutely NO bearing on the lean. I thought the same thing at first. Empty, full did not matter. So do the math. Unleaded gas weighs in at 6.183 pounds per gallon. 19 gallons gives you 117.477 pounds.
I weigh 230 and can stand on my rock rail and jump up and down and the rig barely notices it. I had my wife (who weighs slightly more than 118 HA) sit in the drivers seat and the lean was still there.

Believe me when I tell you this drove me nuts. I thought it was something I had done wrong on the Double D Pro install.

JDDK

I love this thread. Mine bugged me for a bit too. My friend had a lean in his tacoma that drove him nuts. Last week he bought and installed new leafs. Still leaned. Ended up just adding a few washers to the rt rear body mount bolt and problem solved. 2 bucks in hardware!
Anyone need a set of Tacoma leafs?😆

Top Bottom