PR60 vs XD60 for 37's

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
So I keep going back and forth, PR60 vs XD60 for 37's?

I'm pairing one of these with a PR44 up front and can't decide on the rear. The XD60 is newer, a little beefier, and a 10.1" ring gear. However, it will only be available in 4.88 and 5.38.. Not a huge deal, but I was planning on 5.13.

Now the PR60, been around a long while and I'm sure will hold up just fine with 37's. Little smaller ring gear, less beefy, will hold 5.13's..

Here's the questions:

What gear ratio do you prefer with 37's?

Is the XD60 more than I need running 37's?

The price difference between the two isn't much and neither is the gearing between 4.88 to 5.13. Just curious what others might do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So I keep going back and forth, PR60 vs XD60 for 37's?

I'm pairing one of these with a PR44 up front and can't decide on the rear. The XD60 is newer, a little beefier, and a 10.1" ring gear. However, it will only be available in 4.88 and 5.38.. Not a huge deal, but I was planning on 5.13.

Now the PR60, been around a long while and I'm sure will hold up just fine with 37's. Little smaller ring gear, less beefy, will hold 5.13's..

Here's the questions:

What gear ratio do you prefer with 37's?

Is the XD60 more than I need running 37's?

The price difference between the two isn't much and neither is the gearing between 4.88 to 5.13. Just curious what others might do.

In for info. I want to do a 60 rear aswell and was unaware of the XD60 not being available in 5.13. I'm pretty sold on a full float either way.

Currently running a 5.13 gear in the factory d44 w/ 37" toyo's (manual trans) and love the setup, just like stock rubicon 4.10s and factory tires :thumb:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The XD60 is more than just a larger ring gear. It has larger diameter 3.75" axle tubing, larger pinion bearing, larger carrier bearings, and a stronger center section housing. I believe it's slightly lighter as well. I have the front XD60. You can check out the XD60 videos from Sema in Dynatrac's YouTube page. Jim@Dynatrac gives the rundown on the differences compared to the ProRock 60.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The XD60 is more than just a larger ring gear. It has larger diameter 3.75" axle tubing, larger pinion bearing, larger carrier bearings, and a stronger center section housing. I believe it's slightly lighter as well. I have the front XD60. You can check out the XD60 videos from Sema in Dynatrac's YouTube page. Jim@Dynatrac gives the rundown on the differences compared to the ProRock 60.

I've looked into both of the axles and spoke with Steve at Dynatrac (Very helpful guy). His recommendation was to run the PR60 cause you could get into it cheaper and it would handle 37's just fine. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, and don't want to spend more money than needed so that my bulletproof axle can be more bulletproof. I am not worried about the price difference either as its negligible, but if 5.13's are that much more worth it verse all the extras of the XD60???

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I run the XD60 with 5.38 gearing. I am very happy with the 77:1 crawl ratio(I have an automatic), I am never hunting for a lower gear.

The ground clearance on the XD60 is what gets me. So nice not to get hung up on my rear end all the time.

Another benefit is the rear seal, which is built into the design so you don't have to mess with the RTV stuff.

And finally, you get bigger brakes. This was a money saver since I only had to upgrade the front brakes to the ProGrips on my PR44 Unlimited Extreme front axle assembly.

I am just not worried about breaking my rear axle housing with all of those improvements and have no plans to go to 40 inch tires, so this should be the last axle I buy for this rig.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I run the XD60 with 5.38 gearing. I am very happy with the 77:1 crawl ratio(I have an automatic), I am never hunting for a lower gear.

The ground clearance on the XD60 is what gets me. So nice not to get hung up on my rear end all the time.

Another benefit is the rear seal, which is built into the design so you don't have to mess with the RTV stuff.

And finally, you get bigger brakes. This was a money saver since I only had to upgrade the front brakes to the ProGrips on my PR44 Unlimited Extreme front axle assembly.

I am just not worried about breaking my rear axle housing with all of those improvements and have no plans to go to 40 inch tires, so this should be the last axle I buy for this rig.

Thanks for responding, the updated rear seal is a huge convenience. I wasn't aware rear brakes came with the xd60, will need to look into that. How are you doing with 5.38's? I'm concerned that they are to low for 37's

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Have you confirmed that the XD60 isnt available in a 5.13 gear? That just seems so odd to me, while I havent called them as I do not have the money quite yet, I checked the website here and it specifically states:
The Dynatrac ProRock XD60 is designed for 3 3/4-inch outside-diameter axle tubes with either 1/4-inch or 5/16-inch wall thickness. The 1/4-inch-thick axle tubes are 22 percent stronger than a 3 1/8-inch-diameter tube with 5/16-inch wall thickness, and they weigh the same. The 5/16-inch-thick tubes are 12 percent stronger and 18 percent lighter than 3 1/8-inch-diameter tubes with 1/2-inch wall thickness. The Dynatrac ProRock XD60 accepts a full range of differentials, including air lockers, electric lockers and limited slips. Gear ratios are available from 3.54:1 to 5.38:1.

Exodus 4x4

Have you confirmed that the XD60 isnt available in a 5.13 gear? That just seems so odd to me, while I havent called them as I do not have the money quite yet, I checked the website here and it specifically states:

I believe the UD60 isn't available in 5.13, and that may be where the confusion is.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

I know, this confused me also because on there website there is nothing to indicate that I could not use 5.13's with the XD60. However both Trail Jeeps and Dynatrac had the same thing to say. I can't argue much with that..

Exodus 4x4

I know, this confused me also because on there website there is nothing to indicate that I could not use 5.13's with the XD60. However both Trail Jeeps and Dynatrac had the same thing to say. I can't argue much with that..

That's weird. Steve with Dynatrac quoted me the XD60 with an ARB and 5.13's not to long ago.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

well that's basically nails in the coffin... Guess I'm going 5.38s? :idontknow:

EDIT:
Premature post
That's weird. Steve with Dynatrac quoted me the XD60 with an ARB and 5.13's not to long ago.

This is MUCH better news. I wonder what the confusion is here? Like I said, I haven't contacted them at all as I am not ready to buy yet. Once I have the money, I'll call them, see what setup I want, and place the order all in one shot. I dont want to waste their time now when I have nothing to spend

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thanks for responding, the updated rear seal is a huge convenience. I wasn't aware rear brakes came with the xd60, will need to look into that. How are you doing with 5.38's? I'm concerned that they are to low for 37's

I thought that the gearing would be too low, but have really grown to love the 5.38. It is wicked slow on obstacles. So much confidence is felt with the lower crawling. But that is just me, being new to off roading.

Just so you know, Eddie and Cindy run 5.38 on Rubicat for 37's. Also, if you ever want to upgrade to 40's, that's one less step in the process, since in my opinion, the XD60 would work fine with 40's as well.

Exodus 4x4

well that's basically nails in the coffin... Guess I'm going 4.88s :idontknow:

EDIT:
Premature post

This is MUCH better news. I wonder what the confusion is here? Like I said, I haven't contacted them at all as I am not ready to buy yet. Once I have the money, I'll call them, see what setup I want, and place the order all in one shot. I dont want to waste their time now when I have nothing to spend

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472825485.902489.jpg
Here's a copy of the quote.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I thought that the gearing would be too low, but have really grown to love the 5.38. It is wicked slow on obstacles. So much confidence is felt with the lower crawling. But that is just me, being new to off roading.

Just so you know, Eddie and Cindy run 5.38 on Rubicat for 37's. Also, if you ever want to upgrade to 40's, that's one less step in the process, since in my opinion, the XD60 would work fine with 40's as well.

Thanks for the info, If I go with the XD60 I will run 4.88 and 5.13 if I go with the PR60 just can't make up my mind.. No 40's in the future, but I want them!

View attachment 220875
Here's a copy of the quote.

Right there in the middle.. 4.88 or 5.38.. darn

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's no question that the XD60 is a superior axle. The question you need to ask, is it really necessary for a set of 37's? As Steve from Dynatrac has pointed out, the cost of a PR60 is now a LOT cheaper than it was being that the XD60 is now available and if cost is a concern, I can tell you that the PR60 under Rubicat is the one that we had on Moby before and it's still serving us well.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
There's no question that the XD60 is a superior axle. The question you need to ask, is it really necessary for a set of 37's? As Steve from Dynatrac has pointed out, the cost of a PR60 is now a LOT cheaper than it was being that the XD60 is now available and if cost is a concern, I can tell you that the PR60 under Rubicat is the one that we had on Moby before and it's still serving us well.

That is a full float (5x5.5) PR60, correct?

Top Bottom