Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

tonywjk

Good morning everyone...

Driving home last night the MIL light came on, first time this happened. I know the manual says that it isn't serious unless it flashes. Any suggestions, service? Dealer or any service station? I have 48k miles on my '11 JK.

Appreciate any feedback.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Your jeep is about to blow up!

All jokes aside, nobody can tell you anything until you go get the codes read. Most auto parts stores can tell you the codes for free but I wouldn't ask them much more than that unless you know them and know they actually work on stuff. Some of them aren't just part slingers.

The dealer will most likely charge you even to just read it.

Good luck and if you find out the code, report back.

Edit to ask: did you just get gas and did you A. Leave it running while filling up or B. Forget to put the gas cap back on?

You would be surprised how many people will do one or both of those.

tonywjk

Your jeep is about to blow up!

All jokes aside, nobody can tell you anything until you go get the codes read. Most auto parts stores can tell you the codes for free but I wouldn't ask them much more than that unless you know them and know they actually work on stuff. Some of them aren't just part slingers.

The dealer will most likely charge you even to just read it.

Good luck and if you find out the code, report back.

Edit to ask: did you just get gas and did you A. Leave it running while filling up or B. Forget to put the gas cap back on?

You would be surprised how many people will do one or both of those.

Thanks for getting back to me, got gas a few days ago and yes it was running, cap is on, not loose. There isnt a code though, just the light

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for getting back to me, got gas a few days ago and yes it was running, cap is on, not loose. There isnt a code though, just the light

What MIL is it? Check engine light should leave a code if the light is still on.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thanks for sending the link. Followed the proceure to get the MIL code and all that appeared on the dash was, done. No numeric code??

I have had that happen. I would ask an auto parts store, i.e.: Napa, Auto Zone, etc. run a scan for you. The generally do it for free. If still nothing then I would disconnect the battery to reset the system and then see if if comes back. Last time I had this happen, (on my KK), I eventually got a P0300 and then finally a P0301. Replaced a $50 coil and all was well. I hope you issue is that simple or nonexistent!

Last edited:

tonywjk

I have had that happen. I would ask an auto parts store, i.e.: Napa, Auto Zone, etc. run a scan for you. The generally do it for free. If still nothing then I would disconnect the battery to reset the system and then see if if comes back. Last time I had this happen, (on my KK), I eventually got a P0300 and then finally a P0301. Replaced a $50 coil and all was well. I hope you issue is that simple or nonexistent!

Thanks for the info. Will try and get to a store this weekend and see if they'll help me out. Have a good holiday weekend.

Top Bottom