Keep Instrument Cluster Back-lighting Always On

WxNerd2015

Just figured I would post this, though I am not sure if it has been posted before, so my apologies if it has, but I could not find it in my searches. Is there a way to make the back-lighting on the instrument cluster gauges always come on when the Jeep is turned on? I don't want to have to turn lights on on the Jeep to get them to come on always, but they do get hard to see in some circumstances, such as when I am driving to work with the sunrise in my face and sunglasses on, it is basically a guess how fast I am going unless I have the lights on! Is there a power wire that could be spliced to an ignition hot wire for power? Or add this to a switched source to turn it on and off? Any help you guys can provide would be great! Thanks!

jesse3638

Hooked
What's wrong with turning the headlights on? Seems like a much easier way. With a lot of cars today having daytime running lights no one will no the difference.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I typically just have my "parking lights" on all the time for just this reason when the cluster is harder to see with sun and whatnot.

WxNerd2015

What's wrong with turning the headlights on? Seems like a much easier way. With a lot of cars today having daytime running lights no one will no the difference.

I typically just have my "parking lights" on all the time for just this reason when the cluster is harder to see with sun and whatnot.

There is nothing wrong with doing that, and it is a valid option, but I would rather not run with lights on all the time. I know it is easier and doesn't take that much to do, and what I am looking for is more involved, but having driven many other vehicles that the cluster lights just come on with the ignition on, it is a really nice feature which I would really like! Just seeing if anyone had any ideas to do it a different way, because for me personally, that would be extremely nice! And I think, IMO, a neat feature! And if there isn't an option or a way to do it...no big deal! Just tossing ideas around in my head...the curious engineering in me!

jesse3638

Hooked
There is nothing wrong with doing that, and it is a valid option, but I would rather not run with lights on all the time. I know it is easier and doesn't take that much to do, and what I am looking for is more involved, but having driven many other vehicles that the cluster lights just come on with the ignition on, it is a really nice feature which I would really like! Just seeing if anyone had any ideas to do it a different way, because for me personally, that would be extremely nice! And I think, IMO, a neat feature! And if there isn't an option or a way to do it...no big deal! Just tossing ideas around in my head...the curious engineering in me!

I'm definitely the same way but sometimes I just resort to the K.I.S.S. method and call it a day..haha.

BobNH

Those always lit clusters leave more idiot dark drivers than they are worth. They see lights, they assume the headlights are on, and just head on out onto the road. Same with drl-drivers thinking they are enough at dusk/dawn/weather. They aren't, because the tail lights are not on. Drl was rhe most half assed safety improvement ever required.
That said, I agree with others; if you want them, turn them on. If that isn't what you are looking for, I wish I had the FSM because I would say tap them directly into something that comes on with the ignition and shuts off the same way. Just jump them to whatever wire goes to the cigar lighter. But I cannot tell you what wire goes to the console, and have not had the dash apart on mine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

WxNerd2015

Those always lit clusters leave more idiot dark drivers than they are worth. They see lights, they assume the headlights are on, and just head on out onto the road. Same with drl-drivers thinking they are enough at dusk/dawn/weather. They aren't, because the tail lights are not on. Drl was rhe most half assed safety improvement ever required.
That said, I agree with others; if you want them, turn them on. If that isn't what you are looking for, I wish I had the FSM because I would say tap them directly into something that comes on with the ignition and shuts off the same way. Just jump them to whatever wire goes to the cigar lighter. But I cannot tell you what wire goes to the console, and have not had the dash apart on mine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Absolutely agree with too many drivers not actually turning their lights on! Annoys the heck outta me! And yeah, the dash lights, auto lights getting switched off and not realizing it, and DRLs I definitely agree r to blame! I am at least aware enough that I always check that, and it drives me crazy, so I always double and triple check that! That was my idea, but I just need to get into the wiring and see what would provide the power that I could run to a switched ignition source, and maybe even have my own switch to turn it on and off when I want it but still keeping the dimmer functional. Idk? Too many ideas in my head and not enough resources to dive in to it at the current moment! I'll update if I get a chance to dig into it soon and hopefully I can find something good!

Top Bottom