Aussie Locker in front

Thunderspuds

Ok peeps. I am going to the promised land (Moab) next summer. I have a 2011 JK sport. Thinking about putting an Aussie Locker in the front. Here is my question. Is it worth the $300. Will I get much more performance? My wife drives it when I am at work and don't want it to give any issues on the road. I live in the south so not much driving in the snow here. Any input is appreciated.

@chuck_slayton

Definitely worth it, it should t give any any issues for normal drive ability since it won't lock up until torque is applied in 4wd. I had a spartan in my old TJ cause I didn't wanna put much money in my Dana 30 and it held up well, takes a little getting use to but very drivable! The only thing I would say is it's a Dana 30 so don't bounce it out west where there is a lot of traction. Here in the east the dirt/mud will allow that to survive awhile but the traction that the rocks provide in Moab will be hard on it if you bounce it or bind it up and give it to much throttle! Just my 2 cents... Good luck with it

Technically, its a "ratcheting" locker, so it would work in the front D30 on a JK. I wouldn't recommend it tho...

It will knock, clunk and randomly engage and disengage since its a live hub axle. Initially the lunchbox locker was designed for axles with manual hubs, not full time pinning axles.

With manual hubs they are awesome! A cheap and reliable locker.

I ran an Aussie in my front d30 for a while. I had it gussetted, sleeved, and alloy USA chromoly shafts, and it held up fine. Performance on the locker itself is amazing, traction was never an issue. No noises while in 2WD for DDing, and some clunking on turning while engaged in 4WD...but that's how you know it's working :)

Since then I've upgraded my front axle and went ARB all around, but the Aussie is a nice little locker and won't let you down. Just do some enforcing to that front 30, gussets chromo shafts are all that's really needed.

Last edited:

Gravedigger11

I ran an Aussie in my front d30 for a while. I had it gussetted, sleeved, and alloy USA chromoly shafts, and it held up fine. Performance on the locker itself is amazing, traction was never an issue. No noises while in 2WD for DDing, and some clunking on turning while engaged in 4WD...but that's how you know it's working :)

Since then I've upgraded my front axle and went ARB all around, but the Aussie is a nice little locker and won't let you down. Just do some enforcing to that front 30, gussets chromo shafts are all that's really needed.

I agree with you I run a similar setup never randomly engages. Turning during the break in period is harder. Once the locker is broke in it is great.

Frydaddy

At the core, an Aussie Locker is a great lunchbox locker. Cheap, Reliable, and an awesome warranty too. I put one in my XJ rear, a C 8.25. It helped me climb out of some pretty nasty holes. My logic was that when climbing out, most of the weight will be in the rear anyways.

On the road, it will click only when making turns, Hit the throttle and the inside tire will lock and squeal without even trying. Only once in a while it will make a loud bang if you're on the gas and doing a weird turn.

As for the integrity of a D30, I couldn't tell you. With it on the front and in 2WD, I would assume it will be banging more in turns because the system will be working backwards to how it was made, with the wheels turning the driveshaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed and run a Aussie locker on my old TJ and it worked well but then, a TJ is a lot smaller and lighter than a JK. I personally would NOT run one on a much bigger and heavier JK with a D30 or at least, if you plan on doing any hard wheeling. Also, the ratcheting on turns no matter how quite it was still bugged me. If you're really thinking of one just because you're going to Moab, I personally would say to save your money. Most of Moab is all about the bump and if you can get that down, you'd be surprised at how much you can do with open diffs.

vdog0531

Had one in the front of my jk and removed it due to noise around corners when in two wheel drive. So. Freaking. Annoying.

Top Bottom