Gas Mileage Indicator on JK Dash

JoeB-JKURX

I was wondering whether anyone knew the number of miles over which gas consumption is averaged on a 2014 JK. My wife's Toyota can go a long way on the highway or back road with little or no change (it must be averaged over a very large number of miles) but the Jeep only has to go a very few miles to see a noticeable change (like a few miles on the freeway or a few miles in the rocks). Anybody know?

JAGS

Hooked
I was wondering whether anyone knew the number of miles over which gas consumption is averaged on a 2014 JK. My wife's Toyota can go a long way on the highway or back road with little or no change (it must be averaged over a very large number of miles) but the Jeep only has to go a very few miles to see a noticeable change (like a few miles on the freeway or a few miles in the rocks). Anybody know?

My understanding is a total accumulation since the last time you hit reset. Some people hit reset with every tank fill.

I've stopped looking MPG as it is just depressing at this point.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My understanding is a total accumulation since the last time you hit reset. Some people hit reset with every tank fill.

Yep, and a Prius won't go where you've driven!

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I'm just the opposite. My Liberty's get 19mpg on the best days, but the JKU gets around 22mpg if I keep off the Freeway.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm just the opposite. My Liberty's get 19mpg on the best days, but the JKU gets around 22mpg if I keep off the Freeway.

I remember the good old days of 20mph and belly rubs... it's a thing of the past now... I'm lucky if I get 16.

Kilroy

I agree, I can't look at mine either.

stormtroopedjk

Yeah I gave up at looking at the gas mileage as well. I just see dollars flying out of my wallet when I check it... Figured that if I don't check it anymore it'll get better [emoji23] lol

Pursesnatcher

I've done a ton of research on this topic and many have found that there is an error of +/- 1 to 3 MPG with the dash reading based on different claims around various Jeep forums. Which, doesn't really surprise me.

The most accurate way to record this is via spreadsheet, and hand calculation

NVrx8XQh.png

Above is a quick mock MPG log I made. Basically, you just need to log your previous and current mileage... and literally fill your vehicle up to the brim. You can drive it cautiously, and test it. You can gun it around town all day and test it. The whole point is that you're cross testing what you're normal habits are and seeing what a ball park really is. Then, compare that to your dash and maybe you'll surprise your self and you'll get more (or less) than it claims!

I LOVE this kind of testing, for some reason. On long road trips in college, my room mates would make fun of me for doing this. But I legitimately enjoy looking at data like this :2thumbsup:

You don't even really need to do a long trip either. Pick a 50 mile round trip you'd normally do around town. Or pick a day you're driving to work and fill your Jeep literally to the brim... fuel should be coming out of the filler. This way you know you've filled it with (around) 22.5 gallons. Then run your desired trip. After your trip, fill it back up as close to full as you can again - this will help you know exactly how much fuel was used in the trip.

Then take how many ever gallons you put in the tank and divide that by the trip mileage and you've got your MPG!

Last edited:

Eagle1911

I use mine as a "guide". Yes, they are not the most accurate. Frankly, I don't really want to know the accurate information. Just makes me go nuts.

Top Bottom