Tools needed for DIY

lesterjanpearson

Hi guys. Please give me suggestions on common tools I need for DIY stuff on my JKU sport.

Like removing grills or headlights. Removing the sears. Opening the dashboard to vhaning tires. Or other stuff that I am not sure yet.

Calebrink

Just get a good ratchet and sockets, torque wrench, wrenches and some screw drivers should be about it. Once you start to turn those wrenches you'll figure more out. But that's a good start for ya

rogerk93

Just get a good ratchet and sockets, torque wrench, wrenches and some screw drivers should be about it. Once you start to turn those wrenches you'll figure more out. But that's a good start for ya

I agree that's what I started with and I installed my Currie lift with a synergy drag link flip with pretty much all hand tools. Yes it was a bitch but since then I added air tools and a few other goodies

rogerk93

One tool I find myself using a lot for really small work is a leatherman tool. Get a good one it may be a little pricey but worth it in my opinion

Napalm

A floor jack is a great addition to any garage. While the jack that comes with the Jeep is OK, a regular floor jack is much easier to use.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Impact wrench does wonders. Other than that simple hand tools and some larger sized sockets. If you start doing fluids like transmission and transfer case you'll need some large allen bits too. Lots of good write-ups here that list all of the necessary tools, go browse through a few.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Must. Get. This. Immediately. Lol

Being that you are in austin, I picked mine up from the Lowes off I35 south in austin :thumb:

That is a good deal! Did it come loose and you just have in a bag?

They come loose in individual cardboard boxes. You can store/organize them however you want. I'm still debating but leaning towards multiple bags, a smaller for 3/8" drive, and a larger for 1/2".

Here's what's inside the box, minus the wrenches.

Attachments

• 1472858607308.jpg
    1472858607308.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

lesterjanpearson

Will get a set of these ASAP.

Thank you for the info Guys. really appreciate.

jesse3638

Hooked

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Damn thats a hell of a deal! May need to buy this for my trail set and give the Cresent kit to the kids so they quit taking my tools..haha. Now I know how my dad felt when I was growing up.

Honestly, given what's included in the set, if I didn't already have a full tool chest, I would have bought two, one for the garage, and one for the jeep. :yep:

Calebrink

Can not beat this deal. I just picked up a kit for trail tools. Super impressed with what's included. This kit, an impact, and a few miscellaneous additions and your set.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-432-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1000049583

That's a smokin deal! How big do the sockets and wrenches get?

I use a 50 cal ammo can for screw drivers, wrenches, pliers... Etc. Then get the socket holders and toss all that in a smallest bag you can easily get it and of. Nice, compact, and easy to get to.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
That's a smokin deal! How big do the sockets and wrenches get?

I use a 50 cal ammo can for screw drivers, wrenches, pliers... Etc. Then get the socket holders and toss all that in a smallest bag you can easily get it and of. Nice, compact, and easy to get to.

22mm? I'll have to check, might be 24? The tool kit is suprizingly complete. Hense why I'm so glad I picked it up. This kit, some vice grips, cutters, impact, torque wrench, an axle socket, and a few torx screwdrivers (it has sockets, but they won't fit to adjust headlights) and I'm pretty sure you will have everything you need for DIY work with hand tools on just about any vehicle

All drivers (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) have universals, 3" and 6" extensions, and breaker bars... metric and standard 6 point shallow and deep sockets, metric and standard 12 point shallow and deep sockets, metric and standard box wrenches, AND metric and standard gear less ratcheting wrenches, torx, allen, tamper proof torx sockets, allen key wrenches... like I said, I was blown away. $400 worth of USABLE tools, for $199! Hell yes!

Last edited:

whispike

22mm? I'll have to check, might be 24? The tool kit is suprizingly complete. Hense why I'm so glad I picked it up. This kit, some vice grips, cutters, impact, torque wrench, an axle socket, and a few torx screwdrivers (it has sockets, but they won't fit to adjust headlights) and I'm pretty sure you will have everything you need for DIY work with hand tools on just about any vehicle

All drivers (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) have universals, 3" and 6" extensions, and breaker bars... metric and standard 6 point shallow and deep sockets, metric and standard 12 point shallow and deep sockets, metric and standard box wrenches, AND metric and standard gear less ratcheting wrenches, torx, allen, tamper proof torx sockets, allen key wrenches... like I said, I was blown away. $400 worth of USABLE tools, for $199! Hell yes!
You just sold me on my next trail took kit!!!

Top Bottom