Looking for a dog

S_wall98

My family has started looking for a dog. We have 2 young daughters (4 and 2) and would like a larger (mainly) inside dog.
Here's the short wish list:
-kid friendly is a must (who knows what they'll do to this poor guy)
-fairly low maintenance
-controlled shedding (don't want everyone to know I have a dog by looking at my clothes)

Those are the biggies. A boxer would be perfect if it wasn't for the shedding (but I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise)

Napalm

German Shepherds are awesome but they do shed. They are extremely protective and loyal to their owners.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Boxer's are hyper. Fun dogs, but require a lot of exercise and attention.

We had a bullmastiff and she was the best dog ever. We put a lot of work into her to begin with, but you could not ask for a better dog. Good with a short walk and spent most of the day sleeping on our couch or bed. LOL

I've also owned an English bulldog before. Really low maintenance, but a ton of fun.

We are thinking about a dog ourselves and a French Bulldog is high on our list. A pug or a Boston terrier also. Of course, we are also considering just a mutt from the pound. Too many good dogs do not have a home. Some of the best dogs I've been around have been mixed breeds.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I Second adopting although I personally love Bulldogs. It's like living with Chris Farley. Bullmastiffs are great too.

Ddays

Hooked
Labs & Goldens are great dogs but shed like a mother. We have 2 boxers that are great. They shed some but it's short hair. Great with kids and protective but not obnoxiously so. We rescued a Staffordshire Terrier a year & a half ago & she is the most awesome dog I've owned. The s the American version.

S_wall98

Have you owned a dog before?

Not many. We've had a poodle/wire haired terrier mix, a great Dane mix, a rotty, Lhasa apso/poodle mix (i was told but it was about 35 lbs), a beagle, dachshund, a mutt and a shihtzu poodle mix. The bigger dogs and were all outside dogs though so we weren't worried about shedding. This one will be inside though so id like something that doesn't shed too terribly.

S_wall98

Thanks for the comments guys.
I would love to adopt also and have been checking out our 3 local shelters at least once a week but it seems like they're 75% pit which I'm not wild about.
We'd definitely be looking at labs and shepherds for outside but I don't think the wife will entertain the idea for inside. She had a roommate with a lab that shed worse than anything I have ever seen.....she won't forget it.
Mastiffs interest me but I'm not sure I want something that big.

Lance628

Thanks for the comments guys.
I would love to adopt also and have been checking out our 3 local shelters at least once a week but it seems like they're 75% pit which I'm not wild about.
We'd definitely be looking at labs and shepherds for outside but I don't think the wife will entertain the idea for inside. She had a roommate with a lab that shed worse than anything I have ever seen.....she won't forget it.
Mastiffs interest me but I'm not sure I want something that big.

Pits might be the best dog you will ever own, I have three and two kids they love the kids and the kids are all over them

Ddays

Hooked
Honestly the best dogs we've had were from the pound. Just stay away from the ones that have been brought back more than one time. Sometimes that's an indicator of behavior issues.
Its a shame about the pits because they can be fantastic dogs. My daughter rescued one last year and he is the biggest pussycat. She takes him to the playground by her for the little kids
to fuss all over & he loves the attention. This is Riley, our Staffie. bout 45 pounds & as you can see cannot get enough attention EVER. Shes my 4th kid.

PS: Staffies are considered to be in the pit family too.
Hahah - Lance & I concur!

0903161941c.jpg

Lance628

Honestly the best dogs we've had were from the pound. Just stay away from the ones that have been brought back more than one time. Sometimes that's an indicator of behavior issues.
Its a shame about the pits because they can be fantastic dogs. My daughter rescued one last year and he is the biggest pussycat. She takes him to the playground by her for the little kids
to fuss all over & he loves the attention. This is Riley, our Staffie. bout 45 pounds & as you can see cannot get enough attention EVER. Shes my 4th kid.

View attachment 221144

He looks just like my girl I lost to cancer beautiful dog man

S_wall98

I agree on the pits, I know they have a bad rap. If I could find one as a pup, I might be able to convince the wife. It would be a little different if it came before the kids too. Just too many unknowns for us to be comfortable....whether warranted or not

catahoula

Caught the Bug

View attachment 221144

That is the most vicious dog I have ever seen!😀

I agree total bad rap. It's the owners to blame in my opinion.

Modit

I don't remember my Lab shedding that much. But I was a kid and wouldn't have given it much thought.
You might be able to find a Labradoodle. They have hair instead of fur. Almost no shedding.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't remember my Lab shedding that much. But I was a kid and wouldn't have given it much thought.
You might be able to find a Labradoodle. They have hair instead of fur. Almost no shedding.

^^ absolutely this!
We had a black lab and it was just nuts how much she shed. We also have a Lab/retriever mix that we shave every 2 weeks because shes an obnoxious shedder. :icon_crazy:

Top Bottom