3rd brake light amp draw

TonyViv

Ok this might sound a bit crazy but bear with me...

My 3rd brake light bracket cracked below the carrier so my daughter and I put an led in the center cap of my spare, no biggie works great and looks better.
So my 11 year old asks if she can have the old brake light and unbroken part of the bracket to hang on her wall, and then says can we make it light up in my room? So I start thinking I don't see why not if that's what you want (she cant wait to take over my jeep at 16). So I figure no big deal, ill get a plug in 120 to 12dc transformer and wire in a switch. As I got to thinking and looked around I realized I don't know what amperage draw the light has to get the right transformer..

Does anyone happen to know what amount of amps or milliamps the stock 3rd brake light draws??

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:

TonyViv

Duh.......... I should have thought to look at the base of the bulb. only makes sense

Thanks guys

Frydaddy

Transformer? Just use an old wall wart from any old electronic device that's below 15V. The lower, the dimmer.

If the bulb shows watts, remember P=VI, watts=volts*Current. Move it around and you get I=P/V.

If there is no markings, get a multimeter and measure resistance and use E=IR, voltage=current*resistance. That turns into I=E/R.

TonyViv

Even though I'm mathematically challenged.... that makes perfect sense
I know I have some old device around here I can use the plug in for..

Thanks for the help and ideas

Tony

Frydaddy

Even though I'm mathematically challenged.... that makes perfect sense
I know I have some old device around here I can use the plug in for..
Thanks for the help and ideas
Tony

So how did it turn out? Did you find an old wall wart? Pics?

TonyViv

brakelight3.jpg
Just did it last night. like you said any old junk wall wart with the right voltage worked.... She loves it
Thanks for the idea!!!!

Tony

Frydaddy

worked out great thanks again. I see your in town, where abouts?? I am 60th and Tbird.

Well, for now im in a crappy apartment in Mesa, and have a rocking job in Tempe, but I have a garage in Rainbow Valley. Im doing Crown King on the 8th. I know, there's a meet and greet on the same day.

Top Bottom