Fuel Tank Skid

danco3636

Anyone know if there is an aluminum fuel tank skid that replaces the OEM one?

Looking to not just cover but replace and save weight. Any options out there?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Anyone know if there is an aluminum fuel tank skid that replaces the OEM one?

Looking to not just cover but replace and save weight. Any options out there?

The only thing holding the Gas tank in the jeep is the skid. There is no reason to change it.

Ddays

Hooked
Yikes! $500 is a lot of loot to save just a few pounds on! Nothing wrong with the stock one really. They take a beating. Rubicat & Moby run stock tank skids. :yup:

danco3636

Yeah I seen that one. Would fit nice since I have their other ones.
"Mounting The RH4x4 gas / fuel skid plate mounts to your existing fuel tank support mounts for OEM fitment but with the added strength of 1/4" aluminum and does NOT require you to drop your fuel tank."

This one mounts over not replacing but would be my first choice in a bolt over.

Thanks

JAGS

Hooked
If there is a place or two I'd WANT stronger steel is around fuel and oil (and trans for that matter). I just don't see any value in an aluminum fuel skid.

Big Bad Wolf

I agree, steel for sure here.

The stock skid does work but I will NEVER just run that alone again. The huge dents transfered up into the plastic tank and warped it pretty bad. I'll try and get photos when I can. I will note, despite the large dents my fuel system works fine.

I'm only speaking for myself here, perhaps the stock is fine for most or perhaps I got unlucky.

JAGS

Hooked
I agree, steel for sure here.

The stock skid does work but I will NEVER just run that alone again. The huge dents transfered up into the plastic tank and warped it pretty bad. I'll try and get photos when I can. I will note, despite the large dents my fuel system works fine.

I'm only speaking for myself here, perhaps the stock is fine for most or perhaps I got unlucky.

You can drop the factory skid, pound it out and re-install. TTFHELL on here did that some ago.

Tree Frog

I have had to take mine off twice now, rinse out all the mud and pine needles then jump up down on it to get the dents back out. Luckily it has not crushed in the tank yet.

Carefully placed ratchet straps make the job a lot easier. Make sure all the fuel is out of the tank.
Oh and really take note of how the fuel lines go. It is like some damn puzzle as how each one is a little bit different. :thinking:

I cant not figure out why the fuel tank was designed to hang below the frame. You would think on an rig designed to go off road with the break over of these long 4 doors that the tank would have been help up above the bottom of the frame rails.

Draconianwinter

I have known as few people to use aluminum skids. The problem with them is they tend to literally crack and break. As far as underside armor I would personally use steel skids.

Big Bad Wolf

I cant not figure out why the fuel tank was designed to hang below the frame. You would think on an rig designed to go off road with the break over of these long 4 doors that the tank would have been help up above the bottom of the frame rails.

I agree Tree Frog. It's hard for me not to ditch the stock tank and figure something else out. It would be funny if I ran the stock tank up in the tub haha. Having weight up high is not my cup of tea either but perhaps it would not be so bad. Another issue is I snagged a fuel line on brush once which left me stranded. I now carry a fuel line repair kit.

RocknJK

I have known as few people to use aluminum skids. The problem with them is they tend to literally crack and break. As far as underside armor I would personally use steel skids.

I agree. I have nemesis aluminum rock sliders and they haven't held up as well as my synergy steel skid plates. My friends stock gas tank skid got pushed pretty good from repeated impacts. He just installed new steel metal cloak skids under the whole jeep.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Aluminum is for looks. Steel is for skids. Factory gas tank skid works perfectly fine. After a while, you may have to take it off, beat it back out, and spray some paint on it. I would not swap any skids over to aluminum to "save weight" for one, it's really not that much weight savings that your gonna feel in the ole butt dyno. And two, the aluminum will gouge, will dent, will crack, and will break. So you get to spend more money on replacements down the road.

Van

I just removed mine today. It was nasty.
these were taken after I scraped all the mud off.

20170707_160358.jpg
20170707_160427.jpg

Top Bottom