VERY CURIOUS: Cons of cutting frame/ crash bar for a bumper

I know a few pros of doing this for a bumper, but I have heard that cutting these parts can constitute as frame damage and will lower a trade in value or resale. I would love to hear everyone's input, or if you've had any experience with this or what bumpers you guys have that are still quality and don't need to cut anything.

Napalm

I know a few pros of doing this for a bumper, but I have heard that cutting these parts can constitute as frame damage and will lower a trade in value or resale. I would love to hear everyone's input, or if you've had any experience with this or what bumpers you guys have that are still quality and don't need to cut anything.

Who cares about resale value ;) LoL

I cut the crash bar off of mind and had no problem doing it. I feel no less safe without it, and I love the high clearance. In my opinion, i would NOT cut off the frame horns for a smaller bumper such as the Poison Spyder BFH, but that's just my opinion. I don't believe it'd make it any less safe, it's just that once you do that, there is no turning back.

Just my opinion.

mojave5

Having just done this a few weeks ago i can say it's a bit nerve wracking. And looking back i can say a few pro's and con's so far.

Pros: better approach angle, better wheel clearance, IMHO a better looking front end with the bumper tucked closer

Cons: limited to which bumpers you can run (i run the crawler conceptz skinny), could be considered frame damage (was curious about trading mine in afterwards and they didn't seem to care or mention it, could just be that dealer though), a little harder putting a winch on.

Comes down to how sure you are about wanting that bumper and the extra clearance.

Here's mine
IMG_1367.jpg

deadguy

Kind of hard to see but I cut mine off and made little skid plates to close up the bottom of the frame

Attachments

• 1473178474536.jpg
    1473178474536.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 256

Big Bad Wolf

It's like switching to long arms or coil overs.. It's a commitment. I cut mine off, and will be cutting more to fit a BFH bumper. For me the improved departure angle is worth it, but that's just me.

Plenty of guys here wheel crazy stuff without bumpers like the BFH line, perhaps they can add some input.

I say if you have to question cutting you should maybe hold off.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Regarding the trading it back in, if you leave the bumper most salesmen probably won't notice the "crash bar" has been cut off let alone the frame horns. Not saying every sales man is an idiot but most know just enough to sell the car to most people. I love shopping for cars and getting them flustered by asking actual questions about the vehicle mechanics. Specially in today's time when most people are concerned with it having wifi and other gadgets in the interior.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yes a commitment! Just like cutting and drilling your jeep to install EVO corners....there is no going back.lol!

desertrunner

I did it on mine to fit the PS BFH trail stinger. Personally i liked not having the low hanging pointless crash bar down there i had gotten hung up on it a few times. Out in CO it helped having a little extra clearance climbing around on the big rocks. As far as cutting the frame ends... it was means to an end for the bumper i wanted. BUT i will say i only had a Warn VR8000 and it BARELY fit on that bumper, and it was rubbing up against my grill, in fact i think i ended up taking the grill off to get the winch reinstalled. So if its the means to the bumper you want then go for it but know you loose options if you want to change the bumper later and loose winch options. And it did leave the Rubicon SB disco motor a little exposed but i never had a problem catching it on anything

1463684_3772301962444_1146453872_n.jpg

1461653_3772299242376_773226256_n.jpg

action shot because everyone loves throwing sparks with an angle grinder!!!

1459933_3772429725638_1469984726_n.jpg

Last edited:

Flynlo

Did it to mine to fit the Crawler Conceptz Skinny. No regrets. I saved my frame horns in case I ever decide to weld them back on for a different bumper. If I trade it in, my local dealership builds, buys and sells customized Wranglers so this mod is nothing out of the ordinary.

Great looks and a great approach angle.
IMG_0899_zps0p5rthk0.jpg

IMG_0725_zps3hgr3tvu.jpg

Top Bottom