used jeep shopping BS thread

desertrunner

so finally getting in the market to buy my second JK, this time not as my DD. Just looking for some opinions on the matter from the jeep gods on WOL :bleh:
my past experience is with an 08 JKUR on an RK 3.5" and 37s and i finally got to the point where i was working on it more than driving it and i just needed a DD so i had to let it go. Now that i have a solid DD and some funds in the bank let the shopping begin!

so first question is in regards to the 3.6 vs the 3.8. I had the 3.8 and have only known ppl that i wheeled with the 3.8. I have no future plans of an engine swap so what i end up getting is gonna be there for a while. I really didnt have any problems with my 3.8 running 37s and the stock 4.10s, yeah i couldnt get up and pass someone on a 2 lane at 80 but with the rubi T case i didnt really have any problems with power on the trails and re gearing of course would have helped. Everyone wants more power of course but at the price difference of a 12'+ id rather have more money for other mods and in terms of reliability i havent seen a ton of ppl bitching and moaning about high mileage 3.8s unless im missing the 3.8 hate threads out there?? so is the difference in the 3.6 vs the 3.8 worth the 10G ish price leap to start?

Next is in regards to X(sport) vs Rubi. I know all the differences between the two and it looks like on avg getting a Rubi vs X or sport on comparable jeeps is like 5G. In the long run i wanna end up getting PR44 up front fairly soon in the build with an ARB locker. Toss on an Atlas 2S or if i get lucky find an old rubi T case. and a second ARB in the rear while doing the regear and for rough numbers sake for maybe an extra 2 G you just made something better than a Rubi anyways. so saving that extra 5 G up front lets me tool around on a 2.5" and 33s for a while until i save up for the PR and T case instead of running around on a stock Rubi until i save for even just a lift and tires.... I loved doing all the work to my last jeep so axle swap and T case swap just sounds like a fun week in the garage that i wouldnt pay someone else to do so dont have to worry about labor cost on that.

so then you get into pricing if i can get my hands on a 08ish with under 100k miles sport for like 12G that leaves plenty of room for cash on building something that with 7G will be better than a rubi

or get a 08ish rubi same under 100k miles for 16G now less room for mods but get the 44 up front, E lockers, 4:1 Tcase, 4.10 gears

or go 12'+ sport for like 18-20 (If im lucky) get that new 3.6L engine but then obviously the the D30, sport T case etc

or just say F it and go 12'+ Rubi for like 25 and get all the goodies but be totally broke with a sweet stock mall crawler

On a side note why the Fuck are the prices of used JKs so damn high when i bought my 08 JKUR with 50k miles in 2012 i got it for 26K and i swear the price hasnt changed! There are dealerships asking 25G for a 2012 2 door sport with 60k miles on it and even though i have argued with them that you get buy it for that BRAND NEW they wont budge off the price!!!

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
interested in what people input on this would be.

I have personally pondered the idea of different years and different model JKs But I can't speak in terms of the 3.6 vs 3.8 so ill just leave that alone.

In addition to your thought process there is 1 additional bonus to buying a more expensive Rubi. That is not only being able to due what you want as far as running larger tires, but better gearing with lockers, lower range transfer case, and electronic sway bar disconnect, not to mentions the interior. but when it comes time to upgrade those particular parts for a PR44 or and Atlas then you would be able to sell the parts for more than you would a Dana30 or a sport transfer case.

So in reality does it really save you much money to purchase a Sport or Sahara and buy better quality parts with the saved cash? Or buy a Rubi, spend a little extra in the upfront cost for aftermarket parts and then sell the stock parts to help take the our of pocket blow?

kyle521

2 door or 4 door?
I would go for a 3.8 with just under 100,000 miles. If its not your DD then you wont have to suffer the daily routine of not having a lot of power. Then you can throw in a PR 44 and an arb in the rear and be ready to go axle wise, and have the proper gears for your tires. You can always upgrade tcase down the road. As far as value, I havent seen 07,08 JKs really drop in price that much at all in the past 4 years. In the northeast you're still looking at close to $15000 for a 4 door with close to 100,000 miles

As far as 3.8s, mine has around 130k and ive replaced alternator, radiator, waterpump and intake manifold gasket. Nothing too major. Dont know how much longer my automatic tranny will last. My friend has a standard one with 190k with a new clutch. Only thing hes been replacing are things like water pump, rad fan. They seem like they will last as long as you maintain them.

Last edited:

desertrunner

interested in what people input on this would be.

I have personally pondered the idea of different years and different model JKs But I can't speak in terms of the 3.6 vs 3.8 so ill just leave that alone.

In addition to your thought process there is 1 additional bonus to buying a more expensive Rubi. That is not only being able to due what you want as far as running larger tires, but better gearing with lockers, lower range transfer case, and electronic sway bar disconnect, not to mentions the interior. but when it comes time to upgrade those particular parts for a PR44 or and Atlas then you would be able to sell the parts for more than you would a Dana30 or a sport transfer case.

So in reality does it really save you much money to purchase a Sport or Sahara and buy better quality parts with the saved cash? Or buy a Rubi, spend a little extra in the upfront cost for aftermarket parts and then sell the stock parts to help take the our of pocket blow?

You are very correct the Rubi take off parts can be sold for more money than anything off an X and that would offest the cost of the new axle or T case BUT when running 37s on my last 4 door i really didnt see the need to upgrade the front axle and T case SO in looking the Rubi is about 5-6K more than a Sport. It seems like a Rubi front 44 is easy to come by on here for sale and Rubi T cases from up from time to time so if i can snag a used rubi axle and T case that would be WAY less than the upfront cost of the Rubi. And even if you go with a Brand new PR44 and Atlas that would cost roughly 6G ish (my math might be off) depending on configuration so now you have the same cost as the Rubi for almost the same price AND have a better set up than a Rubi (even considering not selling the used X stuff). There are a few more things to consider like doing gears in the back and a locker so that will add up a little and the E sway bar disco isnt something i care about (I wasnt a huge fan of it in my last Rubi, same with the E lockers, they were always intermittent and took a while to connect or disengage)

2 door or 4 door?
I would go for a 3.8 with just under 100,000 miles. If its not your DD then you wont have to suffer the daily routine of not having a lot of power. Then you can throw in a PR 44 and an arb in the rear and be ready to go axle wise, and have the proper gears for your tires. You can always upgrade tcase down the road. As far as value, I havent seen 07,08 JKs really drop in price that much at all in the past 4 years. In the northeast you're still looking at close to $15000 for a 4 door with close to 100,000 miles

As far as 3.8s, mine has around 130k and ive replaced alternator, radiator, waterpump and intake manifold gasket. Nothing too major. Dont know how much longer my automatic tranny will last. My friend has a standard one with 190k with a new clutch. Only thing hes been replacing are things like water pump, rad fan. They seem like they will last as long as you maintain them.

I plan on going 2 door with the 6 speed. Good to hear that the 3.8s seem to be holding up well and i have found plenty for sale with less that 80k on them and the alt, waterpump, clutch, etc just sounds like any other car with 100k plus on it, i was just worried about ppl having oil burning issues or having to a valve job or rebuild the top end and stuff after 100k. I guess it does depend on how it was previously maintained too.

I still find it hard to believe that the price of the 07-11s just havent dropped in the last 4 years it sucks i would have thought with the new 3.6 out for a while now and the new upcoming JL they would have dropped a bit but they just havent. Sure wish i could find like an 08 X with 100k for like 10 G but no luck so far in looking.

desertrunner

it also looks like a 12' sport is about the same price as an 08 Rubi, so if the 3.6 was really THAT much better than the 3.8 i would consider that but i think i would rather have the older Rubi for the same price.

I do really love the gecko green and of course they only make it in 2012 but i cant justify paying like 22 to get a gecko sport just for the color. I ran across a few for sale for like 24.5 gecko 2 dr sport with like 50k miles and when i called the guy and told him i could have a brand new 16' sport for like 2k more why the hell would i pay that much he was very convinced he would get the 24.5 for it and wouldnt drop the price at all :doh:

WJCO

Meme King
We're in this same situation. We're almost thinking of buying the 3.8 just because of the price difference. We can always put a motor into later if we have to. But I've also heard the 3.6 is a much more powerful motor and we spend a lot of time in the mountains. No matter what, we want the power windows, etc so we won't be getting a sport. An older Rubicon would be sweet too.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
I was in the same boat and price is what drove me to buy my 16'. Couldn't justify me buying used because the price points are so close to new.

I went with the Rubi because I wanted off the lot capability. In my opinion they are the most off road capable vehicle you can buy stock. I went new because like you have seen late model used are the same or more than new. I am amazed at where I can go still in 2wd. I would get the rubi and if you get the itch for bigger tires quickly do a budget boost.

desertrunner

We're in this same situation. We're almost thinking of buying the 3.8 just because of the price difference. We can always put a motor into later if we have to. But I've also heard the 3.6 is a much more powerful motor and we spend a lot of time in the mountains. No matter what, we want the power windows, etc so we won't be getting a sport. An older Rubicon would be sweet too.

I agree the power windows and locks are very nice but i have found plenty of sports or X with power windows and locks it was just an extra option some ppl bought, my dad being one he has an 08 X with power windows and locks

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had an 08 X model four door that had the 3.8 and 6 speed manual.

I know have a 2014 rubi four door with the 3.6 and 5 speed standard.

Stock for stock I couldn't tell enough of a difference in the butt dyno to say that one was better than the other.

I do like the newer interior over the older one. I know it's a jeep etc but the dash just looks so much better to me in the 14 compared to the 08.

I got the 14 rubi because I was to the point with the 08 that I wanted 35s which meant gearing, which also meant I should do lockers at the same time. I couldn't afford that. I could afford a little higher monthly payment though and some 35s and a cheap lift.

People ask me about my jeep and jeeps in general when they are looking. I tell them all the same. Buy brand new if you can because of used pricing, buy a rubicon if you can and plan to wheel it any at all and not go bigger than 35s or it be a while before you can go bigger than 35s. If you could jump to 37s or even 40s and it were me, I would look for as new of a jeep I could afford (mostly for the interior and if I was gonna drive it immediately) and it would prob be a sport because I'm lookin to change everything.

I keep watching for a titled frame and tub to start building. Specially if I could get a loan on it for full value or whatever it would take to do a build. Then it would make a trip to Offroad Evolution and get everything I wanted up front. [emoji106]

kyle521

You can find a two door for around 12 with under 100,000. Ive seen ones with around 75k going for that price

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Bought mine used, 2012 2dr 6 speed hard top sport with 110000 miles and power everything. Unfortunately I live in CO so Wranglers are a bit over priced, got it for about 17k. Came very stock but clean. The miles do not concern me as there are a fair amount of low mileage motors that come up on ebay from all the hemi swaps for 2-3k and I think the 3.6 is fine for now. If I need more power I would rather have forced induction with as much time above 7000 ft as it gets.

Put a Rubi take off BFGs, Rubi sliders and a set of JKS sway bar disconnects. I have wheeled it every weekend since I bought it in late May, it has never let me down and gets me through stuff I did not think it could do.

In the next few months I have a set of JKU Rubi take off springs and a set of longer Bilstein's waiting to go in once I get around to a re-gear, rear locker, a set of 35's and some new wheels with less backspacing.

I plan on 37s and axles probably a stretch with a decent suspension in a few years.

Only problem I have had so far is I got a head replaced because of a misfire, but since it was a problem with the first 3.6's Jeep extended the warranty out so it didn't cost me a dime.

Rb1boxer_3

I was in the same boat and price is what drove me to buy my 16'. Couldn't justify me buying used because the price points are so close to new.

Yup that's how I felt when I bought my 2nd jeep. A New sport was 30k a used was 27k. I only did it cause I needed a low monthly payment. I had a 12' rubi and was planning on changing everything out anyways I spent 42k on that one. So this time I just went with a sport and it'll be alot easier changing everything out. I found a rubi sway bar for 300 and a tcase for 1000. A huge savings to me at least then buying a rubi. I plan on doing 1 ton swaps my self so another big savings.

desertrunner

So after doing a little more thinking it over I think I have decided to go with a Rubi, mostly for the fact that I am going to have to finance the purchase and I know that I can make a sport equivilant to a rubi or even better by swapping out a few things but I wont have the cash on had to do that right away so to get more bang for my buck of the bat Rubi is the way I want to go with that said here come the next question

I have found a few 07-11 Rubis for under 20k on the lower mileage scale under 70k miles in the 18-20G mark and I have also found a few 12' Rubi in the 23-25 range but on the higher mileage range also like 70k miles

SO is that extra 6G really worth it for the new engine??? More asking for reliability sake the extra power would be nice but its not going to be a DD and I know im going to buy a manual so with the right gear / tire combo and the Rubi t case I will be just fine on the power issue.
I do really have my heart set on the gecko green but idk if I can quite justify the extra 6G just for a color it would have to be for the sake of having the new 3.6 being THAT much better than the 3.8

Any thoughts??

Flynlo

I've had both engines and the 3.6 is a much needed improvemnt over the 3.8. BUT, I DD and travel a lot in my JK so I don't see myself ever going back to the old engine. The added power, smoothness and fuel economy are very welcome to me. That being said, I think the 3.8 will suite your needs just fine as a non-DD. Besides, they make a supercharger kit for both engines incase you need more ponies.

Top Bottom