Thoughts on wheeling without a winch

mojave5

I haven't need a winch yet (knock on wood). And since i never wheel alone, wondering how important it is to have it be my next purchase.

Biggest debate is because it's expensive and could use that money on other things first. I know when i do buy a winch, i am buying the Zeon 10-S.

Opinions?

WJCO

Meme King
Not needed if you aren't wheeling alone, but not a bad thing to have. You can also help others out in the winter time if they go off the road though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I haven't need a winch yet (knock on wood). And since i never wheel alone, wondering how important it is to have it be my next purchase.

Biggest debate is because it's expensive and could use that money on other things first. I know when i do buy a winch, i am buying the Zeon 10-S.

Opinions?

Not needed if you aren't wheeling alone, but not a bad thing to have. You can also help others out in the winter time if they go off the road though.

As WJ said it isn't really needed if your never wheeling alone BUT it's really nice to have for those situations where a strap will not help

Jtvegas

I've used it a few times helping others however it only takes that one moment when you really need it. If your going with others then you should be all good.

mojave5

This is true, and i definitely want one by winter for snow wheeling trips.

what else did you have in mind?
RCV axle shafts, I know i am kind of on borrowed time with my stock axles with my 37's and amount of wheeling i do.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
RCV axle shafts, I know i am kind of on borrowed time with my stock axles with my 37's and amount of wheeling i do.[/QUOTE]

If it was between the winch and shafts, I would choose winch

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is true, and i definitely want one by winter for snow wheeling trips.

RCV axle shafts, I know i am kind of on borrowed time with my stock axles with my 37's and amount of wheeling i do.

I wouldn't wasn't my money on rcv shafts. what I would do is save the money at that point just for a new front axle which will be stonger and be able to take the abuse of 37's

mojave5

I wouldn't wasn't my money on rcv shafts. what I would do is save the money at that point just for a new front axle which will be stonger and be able to take the abuse of 37's

I have my Rubi 44 up front which is why i figured i only need shafts. That much of a difference to go to a PR44 or would i just go to a 60?

mojave5

If it was between the winch and shafts, I would choose winch[/QUOTE]

So winch first and then just not waste my time with shafts?

I have my Rubi 44 up front which is why i figured i only need shafts. That much of a difference to go to a PR44 or would i just go to a 60?

The tubes and c's on the pr44 are way stronger than the rubi 44. Paired with a solid set of ball joints and shafts, you may not need another front axle ever again...unless you really beat the crap out of it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

The rubi 44s use the same axle tubes, knuckles, brakes, etc. as the dana 30. The only difference is the center section. The 44 has a bigger ring and pinion than the dana 30.

So a pr44 would be a good upgrade at some point. A pr60 would be great if your thinkin some 40 inch tires and/or a v8.

I'd get some axle shafts with full circle clips, some inner c gussets if you haven't already and wheel it until you have to replace it.

mojave5

The rubi 44s use the same axle tubes, knuckles, brakes, etc. as the dana 30. The only difference is the center section. The 44 has a bigger ring and pinion than the dana 30.

So a pr44 would be a good upgrade at some point. A pr60 would be great if your thinkin some 40 inch tires and/or a v8.

I'd get some axle shafts with full circle clips, some inner c gussets if you haven't already and wheel it until you have to replace it.

Yeah i already have the EVO C-gussets welded on. Just figured i could do the axle shafts and not have to do the full assembly. I guess i'll wheel it till it breaks and then do a PR44 since not going to do a V8 or bigger than 37's (i think :hmm:)

So in the meantime consensus is winch?

Thanks everyone for so much help.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yeah i already have the EVO C-gussets welded on. Just figured i could do the axle shafts and not have to do the full assembly. I guess i'll wheel it till it breaks and then do a PR44 since not going to do a V8 or bigger than 37's (i think :hmm:)

So in the meantime consensus is winch?

Thanks everyone for so much help.

I would make a front bumper and winch the first upgrade if I were to start all over again. Since you wheel with friends this changes the necessity, I normally don't, so I feel its a priority

mojave5

I would make a front bumper and winch the first upgrade if I were to start all over again. Since you wheel with friends this changes the necessity, I normally don't, so I feel its a priority

Yeah I'd feel the same if i didn't always go with people. Which is how i've gotten away without one so far.

scull20

I've got a "Wayalife Winch"...synthetic line, verbal winch controller responds to "pull" and "stop" commands, and it's easily upgradable if you need more pulling capacity.

Hasn't let me down yet.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473280619.137234.jpg

In all seriousness...you can probably skip the winch for now like others have mentioned above.

Last edited:

mojave5

I've got a "Wayalife Winch"...synthetic line, verbal winch controller responds to "pull" and "stop" commands, and it's easily upgradable if you need more pulling capacity.

Hasn't let me down yet.

View attachment 221634

In all seriousness...you can probably skip the winch for now like others have mentioned above.

Whats the retail on that model? I see the true friend leaving you behind up ahead... haha

scull20

Whats the retail on that model? I see the true friend leaving you behind up ahead... haha

Can't put a price on it. That was Nick up ahead actually backing up the trail to come pull me off the rock...then the winch just appeared out of no where lol.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Can't put a price on it. That was Nick up ahead actually backing up the trail to come pull me off the rock...then the winch just appeared out of no where lol.

This is why i love wheeling with you guys [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] i also used the wayalife winch

Top Bottom