Rough Idle

hobbse66

Anyone have an issue with their 3.8l shuddering while idling? I asked the shop today about it and he said that since I put on an aftermarket exhaust the O2 sensors could be struggling with fuel/air ratios since more exhaust is able to get out. Any truth to this?

Wvjeepguy

Is it throwing any codes? I would think if the O2 sensor wasn't working properly you'd get some kind of engine code. Is it possible that there might be a problem with the exhaust or the install...possibly restricting flow?
I don't have any experience with this on my JK but my WJ would throw engine codes for everything.

Last edited:

Joshman3280

How many miles are on it? I have had a couple dodge caravans with the same issue at around 80k miles. Turns carbon builds around the valves and causes rough idle issue, I perform a decarb process and a BG fuel induction cleaning service and that usually takes care of it. You can get a can of cleaner at your local jeep dealer or any auto parts store I'm sure.

hobbse66

It actually just threw some o2 sensor codes yesterday. P0430? I think. I unplugged the battery and reset the codes so we'll see if it pops back up. I had the Jeep at the shop the other day for the engine tick so they may have messed with something that made it throw codes... The engine only has 3500 miles on it but I am not sure how old the wires/plugs are. I bought an can of seafoam so I'll see how that goes. But my hopes aren't too high.

hobbse66

So I am having some arcing from my spark plug wires. Those will get replaced tomorrow when they come in. I changed the oil and added some seafoam to the mix but nothing changed. I no longer have an engine light on, but the exhaust does smell pretty rich. This jeep will be the death of me.

Top Bottom