Is my Dana 30 breaking?

132JKPNW

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473539039.928986.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473539110.379530.jpg

These are the factory plug welds on the passenger (long side) on my d30. They appear to have separated from the pumpkin. No other indicators that they are actually broke other than the driver side looks like it's still in tact like what a weld should be. What do you guys think?

10abadilla/jk

My d30 did the same thing. I have yet to do anything about it. I had a buddy fill one plug weld that was almost gone. But didn't even think about warranty. I may take it in and see what they say. I doubt they will warranty it now with one refilled. I would take yours in. Should still be under warranty.

Last edited:

132JKPNW

I'll see what the dealership says about it and keep you guys updated. Probably be a fight with the 4.56 gears and 35's. Might have to drop the magnuson moss warranty act on them... There a pain to deal with here. Anyone have luck with a dealership using this act?

132JKPNW

So I already got denied by two dealerships. They even told me that it would cost 95.00 just to look at it and tell me what they have already said. So I found a local weld shop that will refill the plugs. While I'm at it, I've seen a few d30s with a bead going around the tube to the diff housing? Anyone recommend this and h e any comments on it? Keep in mind this is going to be a fix for a year or so until I can upgrade.

WJCO

Meme King
So I already got denied by two dealerships. They even told me that it would cost 95.00 just to look at it and tell me what they have already said. So I found a local weld shop that will refill the plugs. While I'm at it, I've seen a few d30s with a bead going around the tube to the diff housing? Anyone recommend this and h e any comments on it? Keep in mind this is going to be a fix for a year or so until I can upgrade.

I'm not really sure why shops don't weld the tube entirely myself. But maybe there's something I don't know that could be affected. One thing though to remember, the inner axle seals are really close to that area so be careful with how much time you keep heat in that area so you don't damage the seals.

EDIT: Pumpkin is cast iron, tube is steel. Much more involved to weld cast iron.

Last edited:

132JKPNW

I'm not really sure why shops don't weld the tube entirely myself. But maybe there's something I don't know that could be affected. One thing though to remember, the inner axle seals are really close to that area so be careful with how much time you keep heat in that area so you don't damage the seals.

EDIT: Pumpkin is cast iron, tube is steel. Much more involved to weld cast iron.

OK thank you for the information. Luckily, the weld shop Im going to specializes in iron and steel haha. Perfect! Ill be sure to ask him if he has done this exact procedure before with concern on the seals then let you know how it goes!

christov11

Did they decline cause of the re-gearing and such?

honestly I wouldnt of even brought it up :S just been like... theres a problem there, fix it please :) bye

not the most honest thing but so is declining to fix on warranty if this was never touched by anything you did. unless im completely wrong and its directly related...

and if thats the case, i retract my comment and will shaddap!

132JKPNW

Did they decline cause of the re-gearing and such?

honestly I wouldnt of even brought it up :S just been like... theres a problem there, fix it please :) bye

not the most honest thing but so is declining to fix on warranty if this was never touched by anything you did. unless im completely wrong and its directly related...

and if thats the case, i retract my comment and will shaddap!
I only brought it up because I was concerned about how they would handle the internals. Wasn't sure if they would just replace with a loaded d30 or a housing and transfer over my 4.56 set. At this point, I would rather not even deal with either dealership and just fix it myself. Then upgrade to a Fusion D60!

Last edited:

dannymalkin

I've heard welding around the tube to the diff creates a new stress point for failure. However I have no personal experience/knowledge.

132JKPNW

That makes sense to me. I think at this point, I'll just ha e the plugs refilled and call it good. Don't need to make it worse than it is. Thanks everyone for the input!

christov11

I only brought it up because I was concerned about how they would handle the internals. Wasn't sure if they would just replace with a loaded d30 or a housing and transfer over my 4.56 set. At this point, I would rather not even deal with either dealership and just fix it myself. Then upgrade to a Fusion D60!

ah! i get it!

@chuck_slayton

Damn, yeah that sucks! Sounds like they are being a pain to deal with! My dealership never said anything other than your new housing will be here in a couple of days! They even added a Detroit in a Dana 30 for my buddy while they were replacing tube seals and only charged him $100. Anyway god luck to you my man, sorry for the troubles at the dealerships

Stotch

Caught the Bug
So you guys are saying it's not supposed to look like this?

Attachments

• 1473853113530.jpg
    1473853113530.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom