Fluid maintence

TonyViv

So Im hitting 30k and thinking about flushing fluids and preventive maintenance and have a few thoughts/questions..

Considering the cost of mopar coolant, has anyone ever just flushed it all out and replaced it with green or dex? if so what was your technique to drain and flush all of the old stuff to replace without mixing fluids?? if so do you use green or orange? Or do you stick with Mopar?

Same with tranny fluid, sure its easy enough to drop the pan and add a drain.. but if you want a full fluid exchange how do you do it?? Let the tranny pump out through the radiator cooler line?? if so which one is the pressure out line?

Thanks for your replies

Tony

Journeyman

Can't seem to find in right now, but there's a coolant write up floating around here that would have some helpful information for you.

Some people believe in full tranny flushes and some don't. The mechanic who I use for things that I can't do doesn't believe in them. Stated he's seen to many automatic transmissions freak out after a 100% flush. So he drains them and replaces the filters. But I'm sure some people swear by 100% flush.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So Im hitting 30k and thinking about flushing fluids and preventive maintenance and have a few thoughts/questions..

Considering the cost of mopar coolant, has anyone ever just flushed it all out and replaced it with green or dex? if so what was your technique to drain and flush all of the old stuff to replace without mixing fluids?? if so do you use green or orange? Or do you stick with Mopar?

Same with tranny fluid, sure its easy enough to drop the pan and add a drain.. but if you want a full fluid exchange how do you do it?? Let the tranny pump out through the radiator cooler line?? if so which one is the pressure out line?

Thanks for your replies

Tony

I wouldn't worry about the coolant right now at only 30k. The mopar coolant is rated to last for up to about 100k depending upon the year your jeep is.

As for the trans I would just drop the pan, change the filter, and re add fluid. You will get at least 75% of t just doing it that way.

Ddays

Hooked
he's seen to many automatic transmissions freak out after a 100% flush. So he drains them and replaces the filters. But I'm sure some people swear by 100% flush.

^ This. I can't explain it but I've had issues doing a full flush as well. I don't know why it would matter but it happened to me twice. Shitty shifting, shift points off a little, etc.
As noted above I'd just drain & change filter.

As far as the coolant, why change what is working well? It's a little expensive but in the grand scheme of things, cheap insurance against issues switching coolants. The Mopar coolant is engineered to work with your vehicle, I wouldn't mess with changing that. Be willing to bet that would void your warranty as well.

TonyViv

^ All makes perfect sense... I have the 100k stuff in my 2012 and in the grand scheme of things whats a 100$ every bunch of years..

With the heat here in Phx, I was thinking about swapping to synthetic fluid for the trans. I plan on keeping this jeep for quite a while it was a sad day when I got rid of my 03 years back..
Ill just stick to the way Ive always done it drop the pan change the filter. On a couple of my past cars Ive also put in a drain plug to do more frequent fluid changes.

Thanks guys...... a good voice of reason

Tony

Heavyhaul07

Your trans fluid is a synthetic from the factory. The atf+4. As far as trans services I've heard good and bad on flushes. My old trans guy told me if its a used vehicle and you don't know if it's ever been flushed then don't flush it. If it's a new vehicle and you plan on doing it at every interval then flush. If it were me and my jeep you have. I'd do a trans flush. Leave coolant alone. Drain and fill t case, and front and rear diffs. And an engine oil change if need be. Get a coolant tester from auto parts store and test coolant freeze point. Especially if u live in a cold climate for winter. U can also by a brake fluid tester witch test the amount of moisture in the fluid.

T.McD

not sure of your jeep year, but if you are going to flush, make sure you get the right stuff for the year as chyrsler changed the type in the 2013 year. they are different spec's and have issues with each other. i have a 2013 and had to top off the coolant from the dealer and after researching found out that there was 2 types.

to me, only flush if you run your stuff hard (towing, highway miles) etc. if not, you are good for the recommmended miles.

Dzldust

I have a 2012 with the 3.6, I have noticed some say use HOAT orange coolant for 2012 and down but with this having the 3.6 and not the 07-11 3.8 that uses the OAT ,what is the correct coolant ?

TheGrendel

never flush the tranny. drain and fill only. enough problems with flushes that it is never worth it in my opinion.

BlackKnight

not sure of your jeep year, but if you are going to flush, make sure you get the right stuff for the year as chyrsler changed the type in the 2013 year. they are different spec's and have issues with each other. i have a 2013 and had to top off the coolant from the dealer and after researching found out that there was 2 types.

to me, only flush if you run your stuff hard (towing, highway miles) etc. if not, you are good for the recommmended miles.

The issue in the '13's is as you say two types in the same year. HOAT, vs,. OAT. (Hybrid Organic Acid Tech / Organinc Acid Tech) The issue being is if you use the wrong type and "top off" leaving the original inside it Polymerizes in the engine and will Total your jeep! The only recourse is pulling the engine and sending it out and have all the water jacket power cleaned (heads, intake Block all of it that has any water channels).

As I have a '13 I went to the dealer and had them check my VIN to verify the type. And will likely go directly through them just in case the bad happens, so they are on the hook for it.

Else, I'm considering doing a full flush and going to the new waterless coolant. It does not boil, thus does not build pressure to burst lines, and as no steam, better heat transfer in the engine and radiator.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/videos/jeep-off-road/

Last edited:

TonyViv

Since mine seemed fine at the time, no evidence of mixing in the past, I got a q tip put it on a stick and dipped it to find the right color. Its very hard to tell what color it is from above. Some sort of light refraction shit. Then went to the dealer and made sure they gave me the right stuff...

Tony

Top Bottom