Sun Shade - smittybilt

T.McD

Hey all, i bought a smitty bilt mesh sun shade for the kids and hen i when to install it last week i couldn't get the bunggies around the rear bar completely. it pulled the shade tight, but with 4 other guys we were all pulling it and it would move enough.

i'm ready to return it, but was wondering if there is a trick to installing it or a recommendation for a different brand.

benatc1

Hooked
I love my spiderweb shade, top notch, have also heard great things about bartact so if u make the switch you'll be in good shape either way.

8POUND

I have the Spiderweb shade and I'm happy with it. I like the 1 piece design. Easy install and I can buy bungee cord from anywhere, if I need to fix a broken/damaged cord. There are some two piece shades made by other companies. I have also heard good things about Bartact.

T.McD

You can order Spiderwebshade right from their website. www.spiderwebshade.com I love mine.

I think Bartacs are also made in the USA but I don't have any experience with them. I've been considering their MOLLE seat covers.

thanks. i have been looking the 2 recommended ones up and have just got off the phone with Bartact (was good on the phone) and they actually have 2 version of the top.

bungy version that they say are made for quadratec, 4wheelparts etc as they requested that and a velcro version. they say the velcro version is there main one and if ordered directly from them it would be the velcro version as it holds the top tighter.

the price are about 25$ different.

anyone have any experience with the velcro version. i would be easier to keep tight as it can be adjusted and not rely on the bungy stretch.

GraniteCrystal

I went with Dirty Dog. No bungee stretching issues, very well made. I chose them because 1)front and rear seats are separate pieces so I can do one and not the other 2) no bungee issues 3) it doesn't wrap over my rear roll cage cross-member which I use a lot 4) I can leave it on with the hard top.

I hear great things about both those other brands as well though too.

GraniteCrystal

And here is a few pics

Attachments

• 1473796190750.jpg
    1473796190750.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 1473796217030.jpg
    1473796217030.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1473796324823.jpg
    1473796324823.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 73

christov11

I went with Dirty Dog. No bungee stretching issues, very well made. I chose them because 1)front and rear seats are separate pieces so I can do one and not the other 2) no bungee issues 3) it doesn't wrap over my rear roll cage cross-member which I use a lot 4) I can leave it on with the hard top.

I hear great things about both those other brands as well though too.

you just sold me on this........$$$...poor wife..... she wanted sushi tonight..... "sorry hunny! gotta protect us from them sunshine rays!"

on a seriouse note.... i know its mesh. i realize that 100%. that being said, does it sort of protect you from rain? i mean... durring higher speads im guessing theres wind and speed that might help the rain move to the back when hitting the shade that might help keep you dryer than having nothing at all? and of course depends on the harshness of the rain too but just curious if you guys have experienced being caught top off with the sunshade and were surprised about how dry you were

zimm

Caught the Bug
Another + for the spiderwebshade. Made in the USA and a great piece of gear. Can be left on with hardtop, although I think I'll pull it off before swapping tops for the winter.

IMG_3671_zpsbjlndyqb.jpg

The install video is a must see. In fact I might have to watch it again for fun.

https://vimeo.com/68059075

HoosierWolf

The Spiderwebshade doesn't do much to stop rain. Maybe very light sprinkles. Probably similar with the others.

As a side note if it gets poured on then flip it to get the water standing on it off or it will drip on you... or your wife will flip it with her hand from the passenger seat while you are driving and soak you. Or maybe that's just my wife. Next time I'm hitting it first so she's the one that gets drenched.

I've emailed with the Bartact guys. So far they've been terrific.

T.McD

Thanks for all the options and pictures they help. i like them both, now that i see the 2 piece one. i like the idea that i can install one for the kids in the rear and leave the front off for me and the wife. i think i'm leaning towards the dirty dog 2 piece.

GraniteCrystal

I've driven in the rain with just the sunshade. As others noted, it does help a little with that but when you flick it, it falls through. Biggest thing you can do is drive above 50mph or so and the brick-like structure of the Jeep will create an awesome current of air over the top that pretty much vaporizes the rain 👍

8POUND

The Spiderwebshade doesn't do much to stop rain. Maybe very light sprinkles. Probably similar with the others.

As a side note if it gets poured on then flip it to get the water standing on it off or it will drip on you... or your wife will flip it with her hand from the passenger seat while you are driving and soak you. Or maybe that's just my wife. Next time I'm hitting it first so she's the one that gets drenched.

I have sprayed my shade down with Camp Dry. It helps bead the water and the water just flies off while driving down the road. I have sprayed it 4 times, since owning the Spiderweb shade. I've had the shade just over a year. I take it off to spray, usually lay it out on a tarp.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the options and pictures they help. i like them both, now that i see the 2 piece one. i like the idea that i can install one for the kids in the rear and leave the front off for me and the wife. i think i'm leaning towards the dirty dog 2 piece.

With the spiderwebshade, you can undo 3 spider balls up front, and fold it towards the back, using the 2 front corner loops hooked around the knobs for the soft top surround to keep it all tight. That lets you have open air for the front seats, kids still get the shade. Takes 3-5 mins to do. It's like a sunrider option.

T.McD

With the spiderwebshade, you can undo 3 spider balls up front, and fold it towards the back, using the 2 front corner loops hooked around the knobs for the soft top surround to keep it all tight. That lets you have open air for the front seats, kids still get the shade. Takes 3-5 mins to do. It's like a sunrider option.

Thats a good idea. k. back to the drawing board....

christov11

I've driven in the rain with just the sunshade. As others noted, it does help a little with that but when you flick it, it falls through. Biggest thing you can do is drive above 50mph or so and the brick-like structure of the Jeep will create an awesome current of air over the top that pretty much vaporizes the rain 

thanks gents! thats exactly what I thoguht but wanted to confirm :beer:

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I have an alien shade it has been awesome!
Even came with a little green alien lmao he's my mascot XD

Same, I love mine, probably going to tie my little guy to the CB antenna.

Even getting about 10 minutes of decent rain on the way to Telluride, it kept me dry enough to get to a gas station and put the panels back on.

Although been thinking about trying to get 2 more of the longer ones to go around the sound bar so I can use freedom panel screws, mine will drip a little around seal when it rains.

Top Bottom