CALAMITY JANE - Cleaning Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since rescuing Jane, our 1974 Jeep CJ5 Renegade from a curbside up in Truckee about a month ago, Cindy and I have been working hard to get her cleaned up. Working through the layers of paint, bondo and years of stupidness added on to her over the years from previous owners, we've been able to get a better idea as to what she needs and have even started to make a few repairs. Thanks to Omix-Ada for making so many parts for old iron and even for an odd ball intermediate CJ5, we've got a lot of parts on order and hope to make her as good as new. Anyway, here are a few shots of what we've been able to do so far.

To start this off, here's a couple of shots of what Jane looked like after bringing her home.
main.php

main.php

main.php

After giving her a bath, doing a detailing and making a repair or two, here's what she looks like now. First from the front/passenger side.
main.php

main.php

main.php

And a few shots from the rear.
main.php

main.php

Close up of the factory aluminum wheels before.
main.php

And here are a couple of shots of what the aluminum wheels look like after a little polishing.
main.php

main.php

Here's a close up of what the front bumper looked like before.
main.php

And, after a bit of grinding, sanding and a bit of paint, here's what it looks like now.
main.php

Here are a couple of shots of what the rear end looked like. As you can see, Jane had been rear ended or she was backed into something that caused the spare to put dents in the body and put tears into the support bar making it very week and unsafe to carry a tire on it.
main.php

main.php

After doing a bit of welding to fix the tears in the body and support bar and doing some body work to help make things look a little better, here's what her rear end looks like now.
main.php

I was going to do more body work to make it look even straighter but my main concern was to fix and make the rear end strong enough to carry a spare again. With a spare hanging off the back, you won't be able to see the flaws and that might be good enough for me... or, at least for now. We'll see.
main.php

main.php

I'm still debating how much I should try and clean things up. As is, the welds are strong and I may just have to leave them visible to keep them that way.
main.php

I am in the process of straightening out the tire carrier and getting it cleaned up. Still debating whether or not to reinstall the tow hitch as I think the rear end looks a lot cleaner without it but, being that it is factory, I may have to put it back on. I'll try to get more pics posted showing off more progress up as soon as I can. Also, Cindy and I have been filming our progress and I hope to get videos posted of them soon too. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great Eddie! Love seeing something like that front bumper get cleaned up so nice. Great work!

Thanks! Cindy did all the work on the front bumper and I think it really did come out great.

Looking good! Are you going to apply Sharkhide on those wheels? Stuffs amazing. :thumb:

Honestly, I don't know if I've ever heard of the stuff. That good, huh? May have to look into it, thanks! :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
Super cool that you guys work on the Jeeps together. Looks great. How did you get the wheels so clean? By hand or buffing wheel?

madstiles

Looking great buddy!! Think my wife wants to get something like that for me to beat on instead of my dd haha anyways great job!

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
That's a great start to bringing that wonderful beauty back to the youth of yesteryear. The love and joy that both you and Cindy have for jeeps and how you share them with the community is inspiring. Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Super cool that you guys work on the Jeeps together. Looks great. How did you get the wheels so clean? By hand or buffing wheel?

Cindy use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and just buffed it out by hand. They came out so well that she's gonna pull off the wheels and do a better job. :yup:

Looking great buddy!! Think my wife wants to get something like that for me to beat on instead of my dd haha anyways great job!

Thanks! Working on old iron is always a lot of fun :cool:

That's a great start to bringing that wonderful beauty back to the youth of yesteryear. The love and joy that both you and Cindy have for jeeps and how you share them with the community is inspiring. Thank you.

Oh yeah, Jeeps are what we're all about. We're so glad that people like you can share in the fun :)

That is one sweet looking CJ! Great job with the clean-up Cindy!! :thumb:

Thanks! We've got a lot more work in store for us but we're gonna try hard to get her into paint before winter. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Cindy use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and just buffed it out by hand. They came out so well that she's gonna pull off the wheels and do a better job. :yup:

I've used that stuff too. Definitely a proven product. :thumb:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Looking great! Big difference in the wheels!! Looks much better without that old hitch too :thumb:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
That looks like it will be alot of fun redoing it, I really hope you're gonna keep those wheels and the winch on it.

Ddays

Hooked
Honestly, I don't know if I've ever heard of the stuff. That good, huh? May have to look into it, thanks! :yup:

Yes, this stuff is that good. One of the few products that I've used that lives up to the hype. I put this on my wheels when they were brand new and its the best thing I did.
It goes on like water and you're thinking no way is this stuff that good. I applied mine in Feb (instructions give application range between 20 & 100*F but says the colder the better)
and I have yet to need to use anything other than soap & water to clean them. Brake dust doesn't stick either.

AZMikeD

Good progress so far. Great work! Look forward to seeing the continuing transformation. Thanks for posting the update.

jmy

I love seeing old iron being brought back to life, awesome progress so far. The front bumper looks brand new!

DP1120

I like seeing anything old brought back to life. It kills me to see all of the old cars and trucks sitting in fields rotting away when they could be saved.

Top Bottom