5.13 with 37's on stock rubicon axles

mojave5

I've heard mixed reviews saying I should stay less than under 5 on a 44. Any real cons to going to 5.13 instead of 4.88?

I do plan on a PR44 in the future, but until I break my stock 44 I plan to run it.

GraniteCrystal

I'm planning on doing 5.13 gears with 37s on stock Rubicon axles. Haven't heard anything on hear saying that would be anything but an awesome setup.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
You'll be fine with 5.13 gears. It's the 5.38 you want to try and avoid with a D44 because of how small the pinion gear is.

mojave5

I'm planning on doing 5.13 gears with 37s on stock Rubicon axles. Haven't heard anything on hear saying that would be anything but an awesome setup.

You'll be fine with 5.13 gears. It's the 5.38 you want to try and avoid with a D44 because of how small the pinion gear is.

Thanks guys! Just know I read a few places to not go north of 5 so wanted to clarify and get opinions first.

jcslax17

How much smaller is the pinion with 5.38s over 5.13s? I'm having gears done soon and was going to do 5.38s for the extra power with the 37s and 3.8 even though I have a manual.

Heavyhaul07

I'd go with the 5.13. Even with my manual when it's time for me to go to 37 I'll go 5.13 it's my dd but I also live in the mountains. If I want to haulass down the freeways I wouldn't of bought a jeep I. The first place.

JAGS

Hooked
Chart...fart...go 5.13 if you go 37s. It's really the way to go. Bumped up acceleration and good crawling on the trail in low gear. I've been running this set up on my stock Rubi axles for more than two years. As a daily I've put for than 40k in that time.

Ozon8r

I run 5.13 with 37s on my DD with no problem. Love the low end torque and didn't seem to sacrifice hwy speeds. My coworker has the same setup as me with 4.88s with no issues. While I have have a bit more torque he runs lower rpms on hwy compared to me. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Brute

Hooked
I've been running 4.88 in the Brute with 37"s...more than deep enough with the NV241OR t-case at 4:1 for anything I point her at...on the hwy, with .83 5th gear, I'm doing 2700 rpm at 70 mph...

ttfhell

Forget the chart. It doesn't take into account weight from mods, gear, mountains, or wind. It doesn't tell you you will be in third gear screaming above 5500 rpms to do 70 up a steep grade or the the amount of downshifting it will do. Nor does it mention how high your temps will rise due to running at those rpms. I've had 3.73, 4.88 (because of the chart) and 5.38 on 37's. I've driven 5.13's which was nice and still would choose 5.38's but it's not my daily driver. You will drop down one gear on steep climbs versus two and I liked it for crawling.

mojave5

I run 5.13 with 37s on my DD with no problem. Love the low end torque and didn't seem to sacrifice hwy speeds. My coworker has the same setup as me with 4.88s with no issues. While I have have a bit more torque he runs lower rpms on hwy compared to me. Best of luck whichever way you go.

I've been running 4.88 in the Brute with 37"s...more than deep enough with the NV241OR t-case at 4:1 for anything I point her at...on the hwy, with .83 5th gear, I'm doing 2700 rpm at 70 mph...

Scheduled for Oct 5th now for the re-gear. Doing the 5.13 as originally planned since it's not my DD.

sblackf1

I have a 3.6, manual and I run 5.38s yukons with 37inch trail grapplers on Ruby axles with no problems. I love it. I wheel moab pretty hard (I don't spin my tires if I don't have to), I also tow (within the small tow limits of a JKUR), I road trip with it as often as possible. I'm not sure I would notice a difference between 5.13s and 5.38s ratios but I chose the higher of the two. 90mph is pretty high rpms sustained. I choose to stay around the 75mph realm howevber, highway speeds were never my intention.

whispike

I'm running 4:88's and I feel that it's a little underpowered on acceleration. It does fine offroad but it's my day to day driving where I feel it needs a little more umph!

Top Bottom