Wheel Spacers, offsets and dirty door handles

StormJKU

Following Eddie’s excellent write up on Spidertrax wheel spaces, Spidertrax-Wheel-Spacers-Installation-Write-Up
I wanted to raise an issue I’ve been facing during my drives on muddy grounds, and just this weekend I think I figured out the cause of the problem.

In front of you are three JKs, all traveled the same trail this weekend.
The first one is using stock rims with no offset or spacers.
door clean.jpg

The second started out with 4 rims with offset, but had a flat and replaced the front wheel to the stock spare early in the trail
door semi muddy.jpg

The third one is mine, with Spidertrax wheel spaces.
door muddy.jpg

As you can see the mud accumulated on the door is proportional to the offset used. Do you think it is related to the offset? - I’m using BFG 255/75/17 tires which do not stick out of the fenders as it is illegal where I’m at.
Do you guys have any idea how to avoid so much mud on my door handles, without replacing the wheel fenders ( ..oh, and avoiding muddy trails is not an optional answer :bleh: )

StormJKU

GCM 2

Yes it is proportional to the offset and tires you run. Other than the solutions you mentioned, possibly running a mud flap would be the only other thing that can be done. Here's what it looks like with almost no fender, full width axles and 40"x13.5" Mud Grapplers. My solution is to never go into mud again, ever.

Attachments

• image-57387601.jpg
    image-57387601.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1464667341.jpg
    image-1464667341.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 103

StormJKU

Retractable flaps

mud flaps on the fenders

I thought of flaps, but I’m still considering a solution for retractable flaps that will be pulled only when I’m traveling on muddy terrain.
A two inches fixed blade flaps sticking out of the fenders will not look very nice… retractable flaps might solve that. Is there any off the shelf solutions out there?

StormJKU

jeffd

photobucket-34086-1353101219251.jpg

factory mopar mudflaps help a lot.

GCM 2

GCM

It's all wheeling. Mud or not, just have fun.

Bullshit! :cheesy: I grew up in southern Louisiana playing in that stuff and breaking things because "it's all about the skinny pedal" and after 30+ years of wheeling all over the world.....the four corners and california areas are where it's at and I plan on staying in the rocks. Well at least until I'm wheeling somewhere else on the globe that has mud, and my schedule say Africa real soon

bl17z90

Thats something I really like about Rausch, there is a good mix of rocks and mud however i can't think of any spots where you see anything like what you guys have out in the deserts.

Top Bottom