Does anyone in hot weather notice this?

So I've searched around, and never found the right combinations of words...but...

Does anyone have a problem with serious power or acceleration loss with your A/C on? Ever since I traded in my 13 for my 14 (and moved to the desert) I've noticed my acceleration, hill climbing on the highway, and just general all-around power loss when my a/c is on. I have never had a car that has had such a noticeable lag with the ac on...not even my 13 JKU.

It's really annoying.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You will notice or experience that with any vehicle. At least I have with mine

Last edited:

Jaimegomez8

Here in California having the ac on is no problem being that traffic is ridiculously heavy all the time so we don't worry about losing power ::cheesy

Napalm

I've always just thought it was gutless because it was a Jeep.. Hah.

Seriously though, I also experience this. Here in Texas you have to run your AC pretty much year round except for Christmas.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Always, running the AC compressor is a power loss regardless of weather. As an aside, most vehicles also run the AC compressor when the defroster is selected.

bthomas

Hell, I don't run good when it's 115° either! Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist, or a race engine builder, I have no hard data to back myself up here, it's just something I've noticed in 40+ years of being a gear head in the desert. I've thought for years that it has as much to do with air density as it does drag from the compressor. When it's hot and humid, there's less oxygen in a given amount of air, cooler drier air contains more oxygen. It has always seemed that everything I ever owned ran better, AC or not, in the cooler weather. Noticed it with dirt bikes, nitro r/c cars, boats, and our vehicles. It's worse on a carbureted engine where there's no FI system to compensate for atmospheric change. I don't know what would have changed from your 13 to your 14, but I agree, I feel it to, and it sucks!

TRLJNKY

Hell I turn mine on than when im ready turn it off and let her loose. Who needs a Ripp when you can Jedi Mind trick yourself into thinking you have one lol. Yeah its a dog with the AC on. Try to run without it as much as possible.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Mines pretty much on high, from May to the first of October, in Mississippi. I've always noticed a power loss, over not running the AC.

jeeeep

Hooked
I notice it after I've been up in higher cooler elevations and return to Texas.

Also lose noticeable mpg

Donner85

I keep the top and doors off most of the summer but the few times I'm all closed up and have the ac on I definitely feel a little loss of power when going uphill on highways. Back roads it's not to bad.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I've searched around, and never found the right combinations of words...but...

Does anyone have a problem with serious power or acceleration loss with your A/C on? Ever since I traded in my 13 for my 14 (and moved to the desert) I've noticed my acceleration, hill climbing on the highway, and just general all-around power loss when my a/c is on. I have never had a car that has had such a noticeable lag with the ac on...not even my 13 JKU.

It's really annoying.

You should have been in my 95 geo prizm then with me and all 95 hp that motor had on a good day. If you turned the ac on and punched it the car didn't move lol.

In all seriousness tho, if your ac is blowing super cold than i wouldn't worry about it to much. If you are worried you can always bring it to the dealer and have them do what's called a performance check on it for you to just make sure the whole ac system is operating as it should

Last edited:
Never noticed it, but then in Central Florida the A/C is always on. It may also have something to do with the programming as well. The computer may not be as adept as managing the fuel mixture. With the hot air the mixture has to be leaned to maintain power.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info / advice / validation folks! I guess I'll just have to tolerate it for a few more weeks..then its top off until May!

Top Bottom