Roof Light bars

mojave5

So does anyone even use theirs? I see so many jeeps that have the 50" lightbars with stock jeeps and wonder where they even turn it on.

So my question is, is this just a fad or any practical reason everyone has one?

HoosierWolf

I could see using one because I go in areas were I could really use the light for things other than just wheeling but, I hear they whistle really badly and my jeep is usually naked from June to October and think it would really annoy me. So I guess at least for me they are a no go.

Jimmypaget

That's the reason I removed mine. I used it a handful of times while I had it. Good for if you're the lead jeep on a night run or going solo at night (which is never a great idea) and now the manufacturers of the major light bars send them with the wind noise reducer fins.

mojave5

I could see using one because I go in areas were I could really use the light for things other than just wheeling but, I hear they whistle really badly and my jeep is usually naked from June to October and think it would really annoy me. So I guess at least for me they are a no go.

That's the reason I removed mine. I used it a handful of times while I had it. Good for if you're the lead jeep on a night run or going solo at night (which is never a great idea) and now the manufacturers of the major light bars send them with the wind noise reducer fins.

I can only think of maybe once it would have been nice to have one when i was leaving a ski area late at night, but thats why i have the 20inch.

Just wanted to get opinions on such a popular item.

MrJ3sser

I would say 80-90% of people get them just for the look. There is someone in my neighborhood who has an all stock Sport with two 50" light bars. :rolleyes2: You DEFINITELY need two light bars before you upgrade your shitty headlights.

Jimmypaget

I would say 80-90% of people get them just for the look. There is someone in my neighborhood who has an all stock Sport with two 50" light bars. :rolleyes2: You DEFINITELY need two light bars before you upgrade your shitty headlights.

Lol, and you definitely need to dual 50's to gain that horsepower jeeps lack. I've seen a bone stock ram 1500 with light bars, like really dude? Where you going with that truck? :crazyeyes:

mojave5

Lol, and you definitely need to dual 50's to gain that horsepower jeeps lack. I've seen a bone stock ram 1500 with light bars, like really dude? Where you going with that truck? :crazyeyes:

Well i get it if you do a lot of night runs or something. It's just something i see everywhere now and actually kind of bugs me.

But hey i still have my stock headlights... just LED bulbs haha. I'm cheap. :standing wave:

MrJ3sser

I can see the use of them for night runs, but I think the biggest advantage of a 50" would be for farmers. I'm sure they would be handy when you're setting irrigation pipes in the middle of the night/early morning.

mojave5

I can see the use of them for night runs, but I think the biggest advantage of a 50" would be for farmers. I'm sure they would be handy when you're setting irrigation pipes in the middle of the night/early morning.

I doubt the farmers are living in the city with 22" rims on 35's with a stock sized spare.

But that is a good scenario where i could see it being useful!

WJCO

Meme King
We have several threads on this already. Summary: Rarely used.

I do have a neighbor with a good sense of humor and I use mine to fuck with him.

MrJ3sser

I doubt the farmers are living in the city with 22" rims on 35's with a stock sized spare.

But that is a good scenario where i could see it being useful!

Lol I agree. That is just where I could see someone getting the FULL use out of a light bar like that. But I am definitely not knocking anyone who has one. If for anything else, it would good for blinding an asshole if you needed to. :D

Big Bad Wolf

I do a lot of wheeling in the dark in the forest and on long dirt roads. After running various sized lights I honestly do not think they are needed at all. 2-4 quality small ones are plenty at least in my opinion.

I plan on getting one for several reasons.

1 I like the way they look.
2 use in the fields and pastures at night. Actually a combination of lights to go with the bar for this. It's nice to be able to see where the caves are being dropped 3/4 of mile out. Also makes coyote control easier.
3 use on the back roads near my family's home in Alabama to make the deer easier to see. I'm the only one left that hasn't hit one and I want to keep it that way.

Frydaddy

At night, I prefer to be able to see all around me. That's why I installed four pods up high and all around the cab to light the way. The rear ones are on a post because of the soft top, and light up with my backup lights as well.

On trails, forward is rarely straight ahead.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So does anyone even use theirs? I see so many jeeps that have the 50" lightbars with stock jeeps and wonder where they even turn it on.

So my question is, is this just a fad or any practical reason everyone has one?

I use mine when I go wheeling out west, especially Moab. I do a lot of photography, and out west, the sun sets like an on/off switch, so after my sunset photos are taken, I end up wheeling back in pitch black darkness, so mine has been extremely useful. Around where I live (out east) I never turn it on.

Top Bottom