A couple weird issues

Swaps

New member here. Just got my jeep on Friday and there are a couple things I'm having issues with already.

First, and I'm assuming this is the easiest thing to fix. I get a wobble at 55 mph. Not 52, not 57. Just 55 and it's immediate vicinity. I'm assuming it's a tire balance issue? When I 'give it the beans' it smooths itself out, it typically only happens when I'm coasting around 55.

Secondly, and most concerning. When I accelerate hard my throttle sticks and the engine runs away. I immediately kill the engine. I assume it has a rev limiter, I just don't really care to find out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

Check the linkage for the throttle under the hood it may be sticking on something when fully stepping on the gas pedal. And yeah it could be a toe issue, but I would still go through and make certain all bolts are torqued to spec even after you have tires rebalanced even if that stops it.

thardy

Banned
Did you buy it from a dealer?

The "wobble" sounds like a balancing issue. Should be easily fixed unless there's a bent wheel or flat spotted tire.

For the throttle issue, that's not normal and needs to be addressed. If you got it from a dealer, I'd be taking it back and having them address the issues ASAP.

Draconianwinter

Also if you don't see anything hanging up on the throttle linkage try spraying a light lubricant at the joints for the pedal itself as well as any linkage points. While doing so try move the pedal and see if it maybe hanging up inside as well.

thardy

Banned
Check the linkage for the throttle under the hood it may be sticking on something when fully stepping on the gas pedal. And yeah it could be a toe issue, but I would still go through and make certain all bolts are torqued to spec even after you have tires rebalanced even if that stops it.

The throttle is electronic, so there won't be much "linkage" to check.

Draconianwinter

Did you buy it from a dealer?

The "wobble" sounds like a balancing issue. Should be easily fixed unless there's a bent wheel or flat spotted tire.

For the throttle issue, that's not normal and needs to be addressed. If you got it from a dealer, I'd be taking it back and having them address the issues ASAP.

I should have prayed more attention to his full post as he did say he just got if lol. What thardy said take it back make them fix it if it was a dealer purchase if not then go through those steps I started lol

Swaps

How old is the jeep? New or was it used?

that would probably be good info, sorry.

2007, used.
it was a repo at my bank, got a hell of a deal on it.

Someone test drove it and complained of the "death wobble" so they replaced a steering linkage and bushings. Cost the bank $250, cost me nothing. :)

I'll crawl under with a torque wrench and make sure everything is up to spec.

thardy

Banned

2007, used.

Someone test drove it and complained of the "death wobble" so they replaced a steering linkage and bushings. Cost the bank $250, cost me nothing. :)

Also check ball joints and all steering parts for play.

Draconianwinter

2007, used.

Yeah definitely want to make certain on that never know who done what to it or if it was done right. Definitely check the throttle control system from the pedal to the linkage under the hood like I stated. Chances are it will be an easy and cheap fix. Good luck to you with it. And you definitely signed up with the right group of people. I have seem more knowledge here than pretty much anywhere else on the Web

JKbrick

Does the engine continue revving and the pedal comes back up? Sounds dumb but the pedal can get stuck on floor liners and floor mats

Swaps

that's what I though happened the first time, but after the second time I'm not sure. I take my foot off the pedal to shift and the revs shoot up so the first thing I do is kill it.

It does have a rubber floor mat that I'm not a big fan of. I'll toss it in the passenger well and see if it happens again.

jesse3638

Hooked
Sadly I have seen people do some really fucked up shit to vehicles when they were going to have the repossessed

Yeah I have too. My moms old neighbor had her Chrysler 300 Repo'd and before they came to get it she smashed out all the windows and slashed all the seats flatted all the tires. Why are you mad you're the one who didn't pay? If you feel like smashing or slashing anything it should be yourself as you were the one responsible for purchasing a vehicle you couldn't afford. People amaze me. OK rant over back to the OP's post..haha

Draconianwinter

Yeah I have too. My moms old neighbor had her Chrysler 300 Repo'd and before they came to get it she smashed out all the windows and slashed all the seats flatted all the tires. Why are you mad you're the one who didn't pay? If you feel like smashing or slashing anything it should be yourself as you were the one responsible for purchasing a vehicle you couldn't afford. People amaze me. OK rant over back to the OP's post..haha

Lol. Yep. I had a pickup truck that was scheduled for repo due to loss of job. I didn't get made at the truck or the bank hell I even made sure it is was clean. One thing that did puts me off was that no one told me if I was able to get all the payments caught up in 90 days I could have gotten it back and the repo would have been taken off my record. Oh well live and learn.

jeeeep

Hooked
....Secondly, and most concerning. When I accelerate hard my throttle sticks and the engine runs away. I immediately kill the engine. I assume it has a rev limiter, I just don't really care to find out.

Any ideas?
try this, i had it happen before when jeep was new, reset and hasn't happened since, if you have a tune for gears you may need to reinstall the tune:

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable
2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors
3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery
4. Turn the key to on but do not start
5. Turn the headlights on
6. Turn the headlights off
7. Turn the key off
The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. for the next 50 warm up periods the ECU will relearn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts

jeff_in_rc

IIRC the JK's are a fly-by-wire throttle system and there is no cable, could something be getting stuck under the pedal causing the problem?

Top Bottom