Power steering on and off 3.6

16rubi

I went mudding front and rear locked on my new 3.6 unlimited rubicon,I got stuck in a deep hole and needed to be pulled out.well I spun my tires hard to assist the jeep pulling me and noticed white smoke come out from my drivers fender.......after I was able to drive out my power steering was gone.....made it home and parked it and noticed it was wet near the reservoir area...the pump whined and fluid was not moving inside the reservoir.i ordered the reman. Pumped off rock auto... I didn't want to have it warrantied after a bad experience at the local dealers...well fast forward I installed the new pump and genuine fluid, started her up and no noise from the pump......I moved the wheels left to right and bled it for an hour.....I test drove it and the longer I'm on the road it gets harder to steer...really tough to turn driving slow.so I make it home and the steering is completely gone and stiff....I shut it off immediately and start it again and power steering is back again.....I check the fluids and it's good...the only problem is I hear a whirring/whining noise in the hard lines near the steering box and it's really hot.is there a valve or something I can check?no other fluids or leaks near the box but it sounds like it's straining or clogged...and ideas wayalife/jeepers?sorry for the novel but I just want to be descriptive,thank you.

Last edited:

16rubi

I hope not.....I read there's a valve in the steering box that can be stuck open/closed?also where'd the smoke come from?

WJCO

Meme King
Drain the fluid again and see what it looks like. To me it sounds like there may be some contamination. If you didn't get it all out the first time, it could damage the pump again. Hard to say.

Draconianwinter

I hope not.....I read there's a valve in the steering box that can be stuck open/closed?also where'd the smoke come from?

Well hopefully that is all it is. Sadly I am a bit out of my league as it seems they making things so differently these days. As for the smoke I couldn't even begin to guess. I have never seen a steering system do that personally. Though if the pump was part of the issue it could have been something internal in the pump itself and that could have sent who knows what into the lines to the steering gear box.

16rubi

That's wat some local jeepers are saying
...something might have traveled inside the lines....gonna go at it today.

16rubi

Little update....I pulled that plastic lining coming out of the box....reinstalled all lines and used Mopar at 4 fluid....bled for another hour...test drove...bled
..and test drove again....power steering is fully functional and no whining....I do hear my alternator bearing whining though...next issue....

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen that on some of the Dodge trucks. It's been awhile but I think that hose liner comes out of place and restricts something. If I recall correctly, removing it won't hurt anything but you may want to research that on your own and keep an eye on it. Hope it works out for you.

Top Bottom