Navigation upgrades:

zooplancton

hi guys,
sorry if this is in the wrong forum. (mods if so, please feel free to remove)
i just did a 2.0 build on my jeep. (G2 core44 front end, rock hard roll bar, 4.5" lift, long arm kit, galvin roof rack)

i'm looking for a navigation system and would love your guys recommendations!
thanks in advance!
brandon

WJCO

Meme King
we are often out of cell signal reach with our iPhones. wondering if nav systems also go out of signal reach?
thanks,
-b

Navs work everywhere to the best of my knowledge. I go deep in the back country backpacking and have never had a problem with my gps. I assume NAV is the same. My GPS for backpacking has been fine on Jeep trails too.

Big Bad Wolf

Im building a custom dash.

I'm wondering about the Ipad set up. I guess you can get a water resistant case etc.

So the Ipad has a GPS like the phones you can use in the backcountry ?

And you guys find the Ipad shock proof etc ? I guess they must be with no moving parts (if they have no moving parts).

It's a cheaper alternative to some of the crazy expensive systems I have seen.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

I'm wondering about the Ipad set up. I guess you can get a water resistant case etc.

And you guys find the Ipad shock proof etc ? I guess they must be with no moving parts (if they have no moving parts).

Some iPads have GPS some use wifi but you can get a GPS receiver if yours is a wifi one.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
An iPad with the Gia app is all you need. I've been using the setup for 3 years, and it's always on. I have that paired with a Carolina Metal Masters grab bar to hold the iPad, again works awesome

MO502

I dropped in a Pioneer AVIC 5100. The nav is good and it's compatible with apple CarPlay but switching between functions is slow.

If I had to do it again I would probably go for the Alpine X109 or X009 restyle system. It's pricey but looks like a really nice setup.

lesterjanpearson

I dropped in a Pioneer AVIC 5100. The nav is good and it's compatible with apple CarPlay but switching between functions is slow.

If I had to do it again I would probably go for the Alpine X109 or X009 restyle system. It's pricey but looks like a really nice setup.

Same here with Pioneer, needed it for GPS Nav and Play videos for the kid.

But the Alpine is so sick.

zooplancton

An iPad with the Gia app is all you need. I've been using the setup for 3 years, and it's always on. I have that paired with a Carolina Metal Masters grab bar to hold the iPad, again works awesome

i downloaded Gaia and its exactly what i was looking for!
thanks all!
-b

Tenways

I've done just that. Took me quite a few months to get it just right. While it could use just a touch more sanding, I've got it close. A jailbroken iPad thats connected to a Sony App Remote receiver will do just the thing. When the iPad receives power, you have have it unlock and launch straight to the app remote menu. As far as GPS, the guys above are right, Gaia is amazing and all I use off road. Your routes will sync up between your phone and tablet flawlessly. On road it's pretty hard to find anything that beats google maps.

I 3D printed and a molding that houses my TrailDash. If you're interested in the 3D model I can send it you. You would just need to take it to someone with a 3D printer. As far as the chassis for the iPad, soundman audio has them (a bit pricey, but worth it in the long run). The iPad will slip in and out easily. It just takes a lot of time and patience....and body filler.

File_001 (1).jpg

jmatta33

I've done just that. Took me quite a few months to get it just right. While it could use just a touch more sanding, I've got it close. A jailbroken iPad thats connected to a Sony App Remote receiver will do just the thing. When the iPad receives power, you have have it unlock and launch straight to the app remote menu. As far as GPS, the guys above are right, Gaia is amazing and all I use off road. Your routes will sync up between your phone and tablet flawlessly. On road it's pretty hard to find anything that beats google maps.

I 3D printed and a molding that houses my TrailDash. If you're interested in the 3D model I can send it you. You would just need to take it to someone with a 3D printer. As far as the chassis for the iPad, soundman audio has them (a bit pricey, but worth it in the long run). The iPad will slip in and out easily. It just takes a lot of time and patience....and body filler.

Looks like a pretty bad ass setup! :thumb:

Top Bottom