Radio static

jkwebbie

So I just recently installed a sPod in the Jeep and noticed that my factory radio now has more static than normal. It didn't do that before I had installed the sPod. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you fix it? It's not that big of deal because I listen to music from my phone most of the time, but I like to listen to certain stations in the morning on my way to work so I can hear a traffic report. And if you're going to be an asshole and post shit on here about how you hate sPod and say I should have bought this or that, just keep scrolling because that shits not funny, I'm looking for legit help. Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
:cheesy: saw that coming... I have tons of appropriate memes, but I'll let it go this time.

Seriously though, disconnect the main power from the spod to ensure that is what is causing the problem. Then look for any spod power wires that are close to the radio or antenna. With the radio on, move or even disconnect wires one by one to see if reception gets better. This will better identify the circuit. Sometimes you can fix these things, sometimes you have to live with it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Apparently you can't read, but I'll entertain your opinion on why I shouldn't have gotten one. So let's hear it

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

jkwebbie

:cheesy: saw that coming... I have tons of appropriate memes, but I'll let it go this time.

Seriously though, disconnect the main power from the spod to ensure that is what is causing the problem. Then look for any spod power wires that are close to the radio or antenna. With the radio on, move or even disconnect wires one by one to see if reception gets better. This will better identify the circuit. Sometimes you can fix these things, sometimes you have to live with it.

Yea I know some people on here don't like sPod, I've seen the thread you referred to, but I just prefer to have switches over buttons, but that's just me. But thanks for the help, I'll definitely try that out this weekend when I have some free time off work. Hopefully I can diagnose it and move some wires around or something and get it fixed!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I know some people on here don't like sPod, I've seen the thread you referred to, but I just prefer to have switches over buttons, but that's just me. But thanks for the help, I'll definitely try that out this weekend when I have some free time off work. Hopefully I can diagnose it and move some wires around or something and get it fixed!

For sure, switches over buttons should always take a priority over things like honesty and integrity.

jkwebbie

For sure, switches over buttons should always take a priority over things like honesty and integrity.

I thought so too. Buttons are easier to use at the mall to turn my light bars and curb lights on so that everyone can see me. I mean lockers and stuff like that are over rated in my book, but that's just me

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yea I know people with any sort of moral compass don't like sPod,

Fixed it for you. :thumb:

I thought so too. Buttons are easier to use at the mall to turn my light bars and curb lights on so that everyone can see me. I mean lockers and stuff like that are over rated in my book, but that's just me

Que we got a bad-ass memes.

Good luck getting it fixed. I know jeep problems can be frustrating no matter how big of a douche you are. :yup:

Last edited:
Call Spod or the dealer you purchased it and ask for help.

As far as "legit help". Take that Spod and throw it in the trash.

Coop

Caught the Bug

Hey bro! Try What WJCO said to see if you can isolate a circuit that is giving you trouble, but it's likely all are. Running twisted shielded wire pairs can help a lot. Belden # 8718 (12 AWG) or #8720 (14 AWG) or equivalent. Can get this at an electrical distributor. This is expensive shit! Slice outer cover an leave 12 - 18 inches of shield on the end nearest the power source, and cut the wire down to length needed, leaving the twists. Route the wiring away from heat sources. Feeds from the relays should have the shields extended nearest the relays. Twist all the shields together and ground at the power source (battery) and then at the relays. This is the best way to keep the ignition frequencies out of the wire. Make sure you have radio chassis grounded.

jkwebbie

Hey bro! Try What WJCO said to see if you can isolate a circuit that is giving you trouble, but it's likely all are. Running twisted shielded wire pairs can help a lot. Belden # 8718 (12 AWG) or #8720 (14 AWG) or equivalent. Can get this at an electrical distributor. This is expensive shit! Slice outer cover an leave 12 - 18 inches of shield on the end nearest the power source, and cut the wire down to length needed, leaving the twists. Route the wiring away from heat sources. Feeds from the relays should have the shields extended nearest the relays. Twist all the shields together and ground at the power source (battery) and then at the relays. This is the best way to keep the ignition frequencies out of the wire. Make sure you have radio chassis grounded.

Yea I'll see if what WJCO works, hopefully its just something simple like a bad ground or something. I've also heard that the CB radio can mess with stuff like that too since both the CB and sPod wires run through the same hole in the firewall. I've seen where a switchpros kept messing up because of that. I'm thinking about taking my CB out anyways and switching to Rugged Radios instead anyways.

mastrcruse

I'm not sure how the SPOD is tied into the Jeep but when I installed and ARB switch for my compressor I had the same issue. We found that it had to do with the hot wire we spliced into for the buttons to fade with the other lights in the jeep. Again, not sure if that could be the problem but we picked another hot wire and all worked perfectly afterward. I also had to finally admit that the Jeep has a terrible sound system haha.

jkwebbie

I love my sPod. Install was super easy, make sure you get the ARB compressor harness, it makes connecting it super simple and takes a big chunk of the wiring harness for the ARB away. I got the dual LED sPod and it looks really nice, especially at night.

Top Bottom