E-brake help!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I swapped my rear axle recently and was not able to reconnect my ebrake. For whatever reason it is too tight to hook up. The cable physically won't reach far enough and comes up an inch or so short of where it needs to be. We adjusted the parking brake all the way out on the axle already.
Anyone had this one before??

WJCO

Meme King
Should be the same. Are the holes in the backing plates in the same location as the old ones?

Evil

Did you disconnect it and shove the lines up out of the way and not re route them properly? and what do you mean axle swap? stock for stock or a 44 to a 60?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
The holes are in the same location and no, we just let them hang. It was only axle-less for about 30 minutes. However, I know a shop did some work on it prior to my possession so I can't guarantee that they did not re route it. They were tight as hell getting off the old axle as well

Evil

The holes are in the same location and no, we just let them hang. It was only axle-less for about 30 minutes. However, I know a shop did some work on it prior to my possession so I can't guarantee that they did not re route it. They were tight as hell getting off the old axle as well

This is what it looked like stock, does your look like this with the bracket holding the lines to the bottom of the tub? Do you have a lift?
IMG_2385.jpg

jk12blk

You can try disconnecting the cables from inside under the console to free up some slack so you can connect the wheel end first. Then reconnect the cables inside the jeep by pulling the cable connector back far enough so you can re-connect the cables. I recently installed new custom axles and had to order new custom ebrake cables from Control Cables. I took some photos during my project and I've included a photo of the stock setup inside a 2012 JK (pay no attention to the tape measure). This gives you an idea where to disconnect the two cables that route to each wheel - it's the shiny bracket under the tip of the tape measure.

If you go this route, after you disconnect the two cables, you will be left with the the one cable connected to the bracket and it will want to retract under the parking brake handle mechanism. Use a long enough skinny screw driver or punch to hold the cable in place by placing it sideways so that stops by hitting the two outside metal braces/brackets shown the photo. I probably did not explain this very well but hopefully you get the idea. The photo does not show how the two cables disconnect, but there are slots underneath the shiny bracket where they slip out.

Taking apart the center console is not hard - just a few bolts and some wires that need to be disconnected under the passenger seat (at least for my jeep anyway).

Capture1.jpg

Evil

Remove that wire bracket. Whatever the lines use to go over now need to go under it. With a 4 inch lift and connected they should not interfere with the re routings and lack of wire bracket.

Top Bottom