Steering Problems

etabjr

Hello All!

My name is Jr. Here is a quick description of my Jeep...
2015 Unlimited Sport w/ 20k miles
AEV 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit
35x12.50R17LT Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar (28psi)
TeraFlex Ball Joints

The issue I'm having occurs when making sharp left turns or left hand u-turns. It also occurs when reversing with the steering wheel turned left. It has never happened making a right turn.

So the problem is some kind of binding when I turn. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I'm restricted from turning the wheel fully and the wheel starts to pull hard to the right. The steering becomes very stiff and the wheels kind of hop like it would in 4wd (no it is not in 4wd) In order to correct it I need to turn the wheel straight and move forward. a few times I've heard a POP and it was fixed. I've looked at the suspension components, but can't find anything out of the ordinary. I do not feel comfortable driving this car especially when turning. I've been in the middle of the intersection making a turn when this has happened and couldn't correct it and end up making a wider turn than I wanted to.

I got an alignment and no change. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't tell me what it was, they pointed me to an aftermarket shop due to the lift kit. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
You could always take it off and then re test drive it. Also have someone turn the steering wheel while you look for any binding. Especially check drag link and tie rods.

Journeyman

What WJCO says!
Sound be easy to do. You could probably just remove the tie rod end of the stabilizer and zip tie it back to the axle and go for a spin around the block. Just make sure nothing's going to get hung up on the tire rod as it travels back and forth.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked to see if maybe you're missing a steer stop bolt? What you're describing sounds a lot like u-joint bind and that would explain why you only have the problem when turning left.

trailraider

Have you had the front end inspected or just alligned? I've had similar issues with bad ball joints binding. Not quite the extent you're describing, but very stiff and difficult to turn.

aldaman

Have you had the front end inspected or just alligned? I've had similar issues with bad ball joints binding. Not quite the extent you're describing, but very stiff and difficult to turn.

Was thinking the same thing about the ball joints. To the OP how long have you had them?

Last edited:

etabjr

I suspected a possible bad ujoint. Anyway of testing it without removing it?

The front end was inspected by the jeep dealership and the mechanic couldnt find anything obvious so they referred me to an aftermarket shop. I also just had it aligned but that didnt fix it.

trailraider

If you're far in enough to check the u-joint, you may as well just replace it. Have you ever replaced them? How many miles?

Jody Treadway

I bet you have a u joint cap that is dry and causing that joint to bind when turning.
The easiest way to verify is to safely put the front axle on jack stands and turn the wheel all the way against the stop to one direction. Then rotate the wheel by hand and feel for binding when that cap begins to rotate. Then check the other side the same way.

It seems to be as easy as needing new universal joints in the front axle(s).

Top Bottom