The CALAMITY of Jane

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you're restoring a Jeep that's over 40 years old, there are times that it can feel a lot like you're an archaeologist working at a dig site. Carefully removing parts as not to break any of its rusty bolts or strip any of their heads, you often unearth the tell tale signs of problems and mistakes left behind from previous owners. Likewise, sanding down its paint can reveal layer after layer of previous colors it once had as well as any body damage it may have suffered and the repairs that were made to it. Unfortunately, Jane is no exception to the rule and in spite of the fact that she was predominantly stock when we brought her home, we've quickly discovered that looks can be deceiving and that she's clearly lived a rougher life than we had ever imagined.

Over the last couple of weeks, Cindy and I have started the restoration of Jane and have done so by stripping her down and sanding the paint off of her body. After doing some welding and body work and replacing un-salvageable part with new ones made by Omix-Ada, we're hoping to get her painted back to the stunning Jetset Blue Metallic that she once was. Of course, along the way, we've been documenting our progress with video and photos and in this post, you'll get to see some of the calamity of Jane.

First off, let's take a moment to point out some of the more obvious calamities of Jane that we could see right off the bat.

It's a little hard to tell in photographs but the rear end of this CJ5 had either been hit or was backed into something hard enough to cause a fair amount of body damage. The dimples you see in the support bar was clearly caused by the spare tire getting smashed into it.
main.php

You can clearly see there was quite a bit of bondo applied to the passenger side rear quarter panel in an effort to help reshape it.
main.php

On the passenger side of this CJ5 close to where the embossed Jeep logo is, there was a large 1" hole that had been drilled into the tub. My best guess is that this was for a radio antenna but it's hard to say for sure. From the looks of the body, this point had been hit by something or the Jeep had leaned into a tree or rock as there is some buckling here.
main.php

There are other smaller holes that were drilled into the body so that carriage bolts could be installed through them and in what I think was an effort to hold the body together. You can see this bolt to the right of the embossed Jeep logo on the driver side.
main.php

Both the passenger and driver side fenders were a total mess. At one point and time, the previous owner had crudely cut large holes in the fenders in order to install headers and make them fit.
main.php

main.php

main.php

In order to help give the fenders additional support after having large sections removed from them, the previous owner decided to weld them to the frame using thick pieces of steel. Unfortunately, what the guy didn't realize is that the body of the CJ5 is separated from the frame with body mounts that allow for movement between the two. Needless to say, it didn't take long before these brackets broke and more brackets were added to help hold things together.
main.php

main.php

Surprisingly, at a glance, Jane's floor pans looks like they were in really good condition and the only real problem I initially saw was a tear in on the passenger side.
main.php

Underneath, there were clear signs that some kind of homemade rocker guards were once installed and welded directly to the tub.
main.php

A bigger problem I noticed right away was how many of the body mounts were loose, torn out, rotted out or missing altogether.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's an improvised grill support that was welded in place.
main.php

Now, I'm far from being a good welder but looking at the full cage that was added onto the factory roll bar, I was less than impressed with what I saw. Also, the mounting points on the floor pan was far from being desirable.
main.php

Stripping Jane Down to the Metal
To help identify problems we couldn't see at a glance and to being the restoration of Jane, one of the first things we did was remove the roll bar that was installed on her.
main.php

Right away, we could see this was a smart move as it looked as if a mouse had made his home in between the mounting plate and fender.
main.php

What we also discovered after moving the cage is that the spot welds securing the driver side floor pan to the rocker panel had separated and most likely from the forward half of the roll cage pushing down on it. There were also additional cracks in the floor pan that were being hidden by the driver seat. It ain't the prettiest thing but I was able to repair the cracks and stitch the floor pan and rocker panel back together again.
main.php

Here's a shot of Cindy starting the process of stripping the layers and layers of paint covering Jane and starting with the embossed Jeep logos.
main.php

main.php

As mentioned before, the previous owners got drill happy with Jane and made swiss cheese out of this CJ5's body. Some of the holes were quite large but we were determined to fill them in with metal.
main.php

Here's a shot of the passenger side hole after filling it in and sanding it down. A skim coat will be applied to the area to help fill in the gaps and smooth things out before going to paint.
main.php

Prepping the cracks on the passenger side floor pan.
main.php

And here it is after being stitched back up.
main.php

Continuing to dig through the layers of paint and strip Jane back down to metal.
main.php

It's slow going but we're making progress.
main.php

main.php

main.php

On the passenger side, we were starting to find a lot of bondo... A LOT of it!
main.php

main.php

main.php

As concerning as it was to see so much bondo, a quick check on the inside of the tub revealed there wasn't any damage, holes, rust or otherwise being covered up. In fact, the metal seemed to be smooth and in good condition.
main.php

Sanding further down in a small area to see what was going on, we found that the bondo was just being used as a skim coat to smooth over spot welds and so we left the rest alone.
main.php

Driver side embossed Jeep logo all cleaned up and the hole next to it filled in.
main.php

Did I mention how many holes were drilled into Jane and all over the place?
main.php

Okay, time to get the windshield front fenders and hood removed.
main.php

main.php

Now we have better access to get rid of the stupid homemade fender brackets.
main.php

main.php

Lame brackets cut off and frame cleaned up.
main.php

A couple of shots of Jane all stripped down.
main.php

main.php

With all the paint removed, you can really see all the patches of bondo well now. Or, should I say, places on the body that needed some help.
main.php

main.php

Oddly enough, it looks as if there was some kind of damage to the top of the cowl too.
main.php

Okay, it's time to get these stupid holes filled.
main.php

main.php

Some of the holes we still needed for the soft top rails and so we temporarily marked them off with some blue tape.
main.php

And, here's a shot of what they look like filled in.
main.php

Just need to clean them up a bit.
main.php

What it looks like now.
main.php

Some of the little holes along the side filled in.
main.php

And what they look like after being sanded down.
main.php

Another before shot.
main.php

And after.
main.php

Still got a ton of work to do but, that's about where we've been able to things so far. :cool:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm glad to see you're fixing her with metal, & not just bondo, again. It's great to see a cool old Jeep, lovingly preserved.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, I'm glad to see there are people here who can appreciate a project like this.

After making this post, I realized there were a couple of things that I forgot to include in all the calamity we've found on Jane. The first of which is a common problem with early and intermediate Jeep CJ5's being that they have open frames - cracks and or tearing. I suppose I didn't really think about this one being that the previous owner did take the time to have all the ones on Jane's frame welded back up. Here are a few shots of what they look like.
main.php

main.php

Here you can see one of the spring hangers had either torn off or just needed some reinforcing.
main.php

main.php

Also, after inspecting the inside of the driver side rocker panel, I could see there might be a bit of cancer that needed to be examined a little closer. Taking the bondo all the way down to the metal, I was able to clear away the thin layer of metal to reveal the following hole.
main.php

I have since thoroughly cleaned out the rust and treated the infected area with POR-15 but because we will be installing rocker guards over it, I may just patch up the hole with bondo and call it a day.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
This is going to be awesome watching the restorations! I am looking forward to seeing her in her original color.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is going to be awesome watching the restorations! I am looking forward to seeing her in her original color.

Well, I don't think we'll be getting her back to showroom condition especially being that we do plan on taking her out on the trail but hopefully, pretty close to it. I think we're even going to get the factory Renegade decals and sticker her up so that she kind of looks like this, only in blue :yup:

1974-Jp-CJ5-Renegade-frnt-lft-color_1158x867.jpg

Bullwinckle

Hooked
She's gonna look slick with the factory decals and I like that blue color. Did you reinforce the frame welds up a bit more or did you just end up leaving it as is?

JKRicky

Wow great job! You guys are making great progress on her and she already looks way better. Can't wait to see more!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
She's gonna look slick with the factory decals and I like that blue color. Did you reinforce the frame welds up a bit more or did you just end up leaving it as is?

So far, we've decided to leave the frame alone as it seems to be holding together. If needed, we may have to look into boxing the rest of it in. IF it starts breaking again that is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Enjoying watching this project. The color chart says printed in USA, a customer of my plumbing business prints color charts for companies, that could be from Ft Wayne, never know. Keep up the good work

Interesting. This is an original color chip sample sheet from 1974 so anything is possible.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
So far, we've decided to leave the frame alone as it seems to be holding together. If needed, we may have to look into boxing the rest of it in. IF it starts breaking again that is.

Awesome! Hopefully it won't but the way you wheel it may lol [emoji15]

Top Bottom