Suspension technic

Guascone

Is there a sort of guide in order to understand which should be the right free compression travel looking a static jk?

Which should the right value represented by the red arrow on the pictures?

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474454043.332072.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474454062.561708.jpg

qwasin

It is different for every jeep. You need to have enough bump stop to keep the tire from rubbing. Once you figure out your bump stops, take your bump stop height and add 38cm. For instance if you added 5cm bump stops, then you will have 43cm between the upper and lower shock mounts at full compression. Then buy a shock with a 43cm or less compressed length. If you have more than 2-3cm of shaft showing at full compression, your shocks are too short. If you have zero shaft showing at full compression, your shocks are too long. How much shaft is showing at ride height is not relevant to anything.

Guascone

nderstood your explanation and I agree with you.
My question is a little bit different…travel and bump stop are directly related, ok.
But, If I want to choose the right coils (in terms of high and stiffness) I have to compare it with the shocks…it is useless to have the properly bump stop if the shocks have, for example, too much upper travel and zero down travel (the contrary is the same).
Some years ago someone told me that a good way to find the right suspension setup is to check if the shocks has 1/3 of the total length as free upper travel.

What do you think about it?

Hope that my English is enough clear…:)

qwasin

But your max up travel is going to be the physical limitation of your tires stuffing into your fenders. And whatever down travel you have is going to be a function of the shock size you will need to allow your tire to fully stuff. Some people use more bump stop than they need just to run longer shocks or coilovers, but that's a lazy way to do it, proper way is to raise the upper mount further into the chassis.

image.jpg

Now if you already have your shocks and bump stops figured out and just want to know what your ride height should be, that depends on how you want it to look, how much belly clearance you want, and what you're doing with it. I think 10cm or so should prevent you from bumping out on the street. But you will want more for fast off road driving.

Guascone

Thanks for the answer! Up to now shocks and bump stop are ok for my rig but I was thinking to increase the lift from 2.5 to 3/3.5.
The shocks length could be enough (11”of travel)if I’ll change the front fixation from OI to OO and the rear using the EVO Rockstar bracket…

I know that I have to change something more but in order to plan the modifications this could be a start point…:)

Top Bottom