EVO Bolt on Coilover help

g00se04

Just got done install the front EVO bolt on coilover kit and have a couple questions.

Question #1
I have adjusted the coilovers to the ride height that I would like to be at but I need assistance on determining where the stop ring? should be located.

(Sorry for the crappy late night pics)

IMG_2670.JPG

Question #2
Driver side the reservoir hose has plenty of clearance but the passenger side has a small section touching the bottom of the battery tray which i had a hard time moving away. I have cut a piece of rubber to protect that section but I'm wondering if I should go in there
and remove that section of ribbing under the battery tray?

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The timing rings should be set about a inch or so above the coupler separating the two coils. Essentially, you want the timing rings to stop the compression of the softer upper coils before they go solid and allow the lower springs to kick in.

The plastic on the batter tray WILL eventually cut into the hose. It'll take a while but if it were me, I would try to cut away the plastic and mitigate the problem that way.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just got done install the front EVO bolt on coilover kit and have a couple questions.

Question #1
I have adjusted the coilovers to the ride height that I would like to be at but I need assistance on determining where the stop ring? should be located.

(Sorry for the crappy late night pics)

View attachment 223528

Question #2
Driver side the reservoir hose has plenty of clearance but the passenger side has a small section touching the bottom of the battery tray which i had a hard time moving away. I have cut a piece of rubber to protect that section but I'm wondering if I should go in there
and remove that section of ribbing under the battery tray?

View attachment 223529

View attachment 223530

The timing ring, or stop ring as you put it, should sit no more than 3/4" above the slider when your sitting at ride height.

As for the rubber on the tube that will help protect the line just fine. Just always check it out

g00se04

So the timing ring just controls when the lower coil is engaged? With the jeep at ride height it looks like the timing ring would almost be bottomed out.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
My rings are basically at the bottom of the threads on my front shocks, which I would think would be the same for most people on here.

desertrunner

so just curious as i am still trying to understand the way coil-overs work

the upper soft spring is for ride height and comfort on road? and you want the timing ring set in order to engage the bottom stiffer spring before the upper spring fully compresses, which make sense. So if you set your timing ring no more the the 3/4" above the spring separator as cozdude suggests that means you will get no more than 3/4" compression on the top spring before the bottom spring engages correct? seems like you should be able to get more than 3/4" compression on the upper springs before they fully compress?

Im just speaking from curiosity sake as i have no experience with these but really want a set in the future so trying to learn a thing or two here.

Also does the weight of the vehicle such as the difference in 2dr vs 4dr make a difference on the timing ring location? or just the top preload setting?

ColoradoJKUR

so just curious as i am still trying to understand the way coil-overs work

the upper soft spring is for ride height and comfort on road? and you want the timing ring set in order to engage the bottom stiffer spring before the upper spring fully compresses, which make sense. So if you set your timing ring no more the the 3/4" above the spring separator as cozdude suggests that means you will get no more than 3/4" compression on the top spring before the bottom spring engages correct? seems like you should be able to get more than 3/4" compression on the upper springs before they fully compress?

Im just speaking from curiosity sake as i have no experience with these but really want a set in the future so trying to learn a thing or two here.

Also does the weight of the vehicle such as the difference in 2dr vs 4dr make a difference on the timing ring location? or just the top preload setting?

Bump! I'd like to know the same thing. And how this effects ride. It seems like if you were a go fast guy youd want the primary (upper spring) to engage long to so your stop nut would further towards the top to allow the isolator to travel further.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can set your timing rings higher than 3/4", you just don't want to go so high as is shown in the pics above that your upper coil goes solid before the lower springs kick in. Because the upper coils are much softer, you just want them to provide you with a general nice ride in most conditions. You want your lower springs to kick in whenever you hit something hard as it will help to absorb the impact of it and keep you running fast and flat as opposed to bouncing you around. Turns out that setting your timing rings about 1" above the coupler works pretty well for most people.

ColoradoJKUR

You can set your timing rings higher than 3/4", you just don't want to go so high as is shown in the pics above that your upper coil goes solid before the lower springs kick in. Because the upper coils are much softer, you just want them to provide you with a general nice ride in most conditions. You want your lower springs to kick in whenever you hit something hard as it will help to absorb the impact of it and keep you running fast and flat as opposed to bouncing you around. Turns out that setting your timing rings about 1" above the coupler works pretty well for most people.

Thanks Eddie! Mine moved on me just the other night and wasn't sure where they should be. I never touched them when I installed the kit thinking everything was 'preset' and needed no adjustments. That's what I get for assuming.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
To if your compressing the top spring to much to get your ride height. You may need a stiffer spring.

Evil

Here kids. Search crawlpedia. They have a awesome set up guide that is copyrighted so I will not link it or copy and paste the written content. :thumb:

desertrunner

Here kids. Search crawlpedia. They have a awesome set up guide that is copyrighted so I will not link it or copy and paste the written content. :thumb:

YES!!! Finally i was searching all over google for a damn page like this and just got a ton of BS. Thanks for the link :rock:
Guess my google game isnt that strong haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom