G2 truss on d30

10abadilla/jk

I ordered my truss. I am reinforcing it this way because it will take me a lot of time to save the money for the pr44. Family. Kids. Bills etc we all get it. One thing I am worried about is warping the axle. Are there any tips when welding this on to not do so? I already have gussets and most people say they wouldn't go further then that on a stock axle. I agree I just don't have the money and won't for a while for the pr44. And want to continue to wheel without putting d30 out of commission if it breaks without reinforcements. I'm hoping this can buy me time to save for a couple of years. I am not interested in sleeves.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So you're going to spend $600+ to have a truss put on instead of saving for a new axle? What exactly is the truss going to do for you?

Ddays

Hooked
Best way to not warp your axle is to not bothering to weld the truss on in the first place. Put that $$ toward your new axle. Seriously. Unless you're 37's or bigger and pound the shit out of your Jeep it will probably last til you get that new PR44.

Edit - Overlander beat me to the punch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what a truss is gonna do for you but hey, if it'll help you to sleep better at night, it's your money to waste. Certainly, if you're really playing as hard as you think you are, bending an axle tube is the least of your concerns.

10abadilla/jk

So you're going to spend $600+ to have a truss put on instead of saving for a new axle? What exactly is the truss going to do for you?

No I'm going to spend about 100. I don't pay for the welding. I pull out the axle myself and I have a buddy who welds. I'm hoping the truss will help prevent the axle from bending or completely breaking from the housing.

10abadilla/jk

Best way to not warp your axle is to not bothering to weld the truss on in the first place. Put that $$ toward your new axle. Seriously. Unless you're 37's or bigger and pound the shit out of your Jeep it will probably last til you get that new PR44.

Edit - Overlander beat me to the punch.

I am moving up to 37s the ending of this month. And I wheel quite often

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No I'm going to spend about 100. I don't pay for the welding. I pull out the axle myself and I have a buddy who welds. I'm hoping the truss will help prevent the axle from bending or completely breaking from the housing.

LOL!! There are over 1 million JK's on the road today and since they came out back in 2006, I have only see 3 axle housings break and have only heard of a handful of others. Like I said, if you really play as hard as you think you do, bending or even breaking your Dana 30 is the least of your concerns.

GR8WHITE

I beat the piss out of my old 30 on 37s for a little while and never had a problem. And if the housing bends a little who cares keep beating on it.

10abadilla/jk

Not sure what a truss is gonna do for you but hey, if it'll help you to sleep better at night, it's your money to waste. Certainly, if you're really playing as hard as you think you are, bending an axle tube is the least of your concerns.

That's exactly why I asked you all. I wheel as much as I can. Holcomb creek. John bull. Dusy ershim. Etc. Not as near as hard as you wheel. But I do plan to go to moab in the next year or so. Driving it out there and would not want to trailer it back. Anyways I guess I hoped it would but me time while still allowing me to drive it to and from trails. Now I know it's not worth it. Thank you Eddie.

10abadilla/jk

Now I understand not to waste my money on a truss. Thank you all. It will probably be about 2 years or so before I can fully afford a pr44 built.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's exactly why I asked you all. I wheel as much as I can. Holcomb creek. John bull. Dusy ershim. Etc. Not as near as hard as you wheel. But I do plan to go to moab in the next year or so. Driving it out there and would not want to trailer it back. Anyways I guess I hoped it would but me time while still allowing me to drive it to and from trails. Now I know it's not worth it. Thank you Eddie.

It really isn't and if it were me, I would save your time and money and just wheel with what you've got until you can afford to upgrade to a real axle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now I understand not to waste my money on a truss. Thank you all. It will probably be about 2 years or so before I can fully afford a pr44 built.

That being said, perhaps you should consider NOT running such a big tire on such a weak axle. Again, your real problem will be your axle shafts and ring and pinion.

10abadilla/jk

LOL!! There are over 1 million JK's on the road today and since they came out back in 2006, I have only see 3 axle housings break and have only heard of a handful of others. Like I said, if you really play as hard as you think you do, bending or even breaking your Dana 30 is the least of your concerns.

That puts me at ease a bit more thank you. The main concern I had is my plug welds started cracking and leaking. And I have a minor bend on the passenger side. About a cm or so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That puts me at ease a bit more thank you. The main concern I had is my plug welds started cracking and leaking. And I have a minor bend on the passenger side. About a cm or so.

Well, you could of had your friend fill in the plug weld but if you've got leaking going on at the diff, you're already in need of a new housing.

Agreed. That being said should I even throw money at axle shafts and gears on the 30

I would only get shafts IF the need arose. As far as gears go, the ratio you'd want for 37's is 5.13 or 5.38 if you wanted more power. The pinion on a 5.13 is ridiculously small and the potential to break there is really high especially if you're running a locker.

Top Bottom