75 CJ5 Rear pinion seal

Helipilot2

Hey guys so I need to replace the rear pinion seal on my CJ5, I have a dana 44 out back. I have never done one and have heard mixed information about doing it, some say it's as simple as popping the yoke, putting the new seal in and done. Others have said I will have to reset the back lash on my gears. Can I get some clarification on what needs to be done here please.

JKbrick

Hey guys so I need to replace the rear pinion seal on my CJ5, I have a dana 44 out back. I have never done one and have heard mixed information about doing it, some say it's as simple as popping the yoke, putting the new seal in and done. Others have said I will have to reset the back lash on my gears. Can I get some clarification on what needs to be done here please.

Do you have any idea if it has a crush sleeve on the pinion like a jk does?

I have the same year CJ5 that I drove many a miles and years and then converted it to a desert racer... know it well. The outer seal is easy, no resetting back lash, just take yoke nut off and pull yoke and screwdriver old seal out and install new by tapping around it in a circle and put yoke and nut back on. Pre lube new seal with a little dab heavy grease on the rubber.
Back lash is only if you pull the ring gear / 'pumpkin' out and change gears (pinion) then you have to use shims between bearings and housing on pinion shaft to adjust the meeting of pinion teeth with ring gear teeth.

Top Bottom