Question about the non-trailhawks with factory trailer tow

TWX

Question,

Do the non-Trailhawks that come from the factory with the trailer tow package with 2" receiver already installed have the provision in the hitch for the red hook on the left side?

When I installed the hitch on our TH, it was the RenegadeReady kit. It was a Mopar-branded hitch, with the provision for the hook so I was able to move the hook to the new part.

I'm curious if a non-Trailhawk's factory hitch is made this way, which would allow a non-TH to have the hook added just by cutting the plastic bumper cover. I would assume they have only one hitch P/N for the North American market, but would like confirmation.

Kurojeep

there is currently a safety recall on the factory trailer hitch.. Just got it in the mail yesterday from FCA. So be careful!! I'm going stop using mine until FCA have a fix..

TWX

I assume the recall notice wasn't terribly specific about the reason, was it?

EDIT: looked it up. Apparently someone neglected to install all six fasteners, only installing two, one per side. Eegh!

I installed mine myself. Not only did I use the six big bolts but I also sourced nuts to secure the six rear-facing mounting studs that non-TH models have their factory impact-bumpers secured by. I'm just glad that it wasn't the welded assembly, that would have sucked for aftermarket buyers like me, with a potentially bad hitch and a hole in the bumper cover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom