OEM or after market gas cap?

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Okay, this is the second time I've gotten the GASCAP word on the odometer. I filled the tank a couple of days ago but I tightened the cap and it would have been on a long time ago had I not tightened down. The JK is only 2 yrs old so it makes check engine light come on, I tighten it, drive home, start it and the next I start the Jeep, it disappears. I think now the cap is worn and needs to be replaced. Do you you people get another OEM or is there another brand you use. This is getting old. Still can't believe something so frivolous only lasts a year but I guess the seals are that great.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - New gas cap from O'Reilly's did the trick. I'm getting one of those slick looking Drake gas caps in red from a splash of color against my white JK. Thanks for the tip. Never heard of that brand. They are a bit pricey so I spent the $11 for now. Could have gotten it cheaper online but I wanted it fixed now.

jeeeep

Hooked
Okay, this is the second time I've gotten the GASCAP word on the odometer. I filled the tank a couple of days ago but I tightened the cap and it would have been on a long time ago had I not tightened down. The JK is only 2 yrs old so it makes check engine light come on, I tighten it, drive home, start it and the next I start the Jeep, it disappears. I think now the cap is worn and needs to be replaced. Do you you people get another OEM or is there another brand you use. This is getting old. Still can't believe something so frivolous only lasts a year but I guess the seals are that great.

I have a 2010 and still using the same gas cap. When I get the GASCAP warning I use an alcohol swab to wipe off the filler tube edge and the gas cap o-ring then rub a little lip balm on the o-ring and put it back on. Warning turns off pretty quick.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I have a 2010 and still using the same gas cap. When I get the GASCAP warning I use an alcohol swab to wipe off the filler tube edge and the gas cap o-ring then rub a little lip balm on the o-ring and put it back on. Warning turns off pretty quick.

I cleaned off the the gas cap with a wet paper towel real good all the way around, real clean, cleaned off the rubber ring around the filler tube edge nice and clean and got it black again but that didn't help. Soon as I put that new cap on, light went right out.

Top Bottom