What would you guys do? EVO lift on 2dr

Hey guys,

I'll start with the real question in the first paragraph, and then the rest will have other questions and why I want to switch.

MY DILEMA : I REALLY want the Evo Plush Rides but I have found out that they only come in 3" and 4" unless you just get the leveling kit, but I really want new springs on all four corners. I'm worried that this is simply going to be too much lift... but I'm not sure. I run 33" MTRs right now and will be moving up to 35" as soon as these run out of tread (probably another year or so). I do wheel the Jeep (typical socal trails in big bear, Gorman, Anza Borrego, etc) but I am ideally building a rig for Rubicon-type trails.

If this lift is too big, what are some of the other options you would recommend other than EVO based on what I'll tell you? Should I go for a 1.5" lift from RK or what? It's so hard to tell because you get so much extra lift from these springs. I'm hoping some people more knowledgeable than me will chime in. I would love to not run into too many complications down the road because of this.

Now for the boring stuff:

So I'm conflicted. I want to get some new springs because I hate my current set up. I did the whole 19/60 swap from another jeep and in my opinion it just rides too dang rough and doesn't wheel as well as my old setup, which was made up of softer/shorter stock springs and 2.5" puck lift.

I have a pretty light 2dr manual with a hard top, but I do have a Gobi rack on permanently and a RTT that I put on occasionally. Other than that, I don't have bumpers and won't have the money for them for a while.

Shock-wise, I'll have to stick with the stock shocks for a bit, but I do have some 2.5" extensions that I can use.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If the plan is 35" tires and your cool with spending $2500 or so on the 3" enforcer I'm sure it would look good and ride nice. I'd bet you'll get 4-4.25" with that lift on your 2 door. The RK 1.5" is actually called the 2.5" on a 2 dr. Another option may be the JKS jspec 2.5" or synergy's stage I 2" kit. Good luck with your decision.

thardy

Banned
With 35" tires for a 2dr, I would NOT go with the 3" Enforcer. I would get just the front 2" plush rides and pick up a set of Old Man Emu 2" rear springs. I've heard good things about that combination. And as mentioned above, the JKS Jspec lift would be a good option as well.

When I had my 2dr, I had the 19/60 springs from a 4dr and was going to cut the fenders and run 35s. I personally liked the setup, but was also on a budget.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I ran 17/59 springs and found them harsh. I went with EVO 2" plush rides up front, to get a softer ride, and even with a 1" spacer in back, I was nose high on a 2 door. I had stock bumpers, and when I put a RockHard winch plate & M8000 winch up front, I still had over 2.5 inches. I picked up a set of Old Man Emu light load 2" rear coils off of Amazon, and it sat a lot better. I plan to run a 3" Enforcer on this 4 door, but on a 2 door, you might consider the 2" OME coils all around. They road really nice. Maybe not quite as soft as EVO, but close.

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=734282

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses! Man, I love this forum. So I'm thinking now that I may go with what was suggested; 2" plush up front and the OME 2" in the back. As far as the light duty vs the heavy duty OME goes, which should I run considering I have the Gobi roof rack? That thing definitely adds some weight. Thanks guys!

Also, what I may do is get the Plush rides up front and wait a little while on the rears just to see what that does. Would that be a terrible idea with the 60 stock springs in the back or would that maybe be a good combo?

notnalc68

Thank you for the responses! Man, I love this forum. So I'm thinking now that I may go with what was suggested; 2" plush up front and the OME 2" in the back. As far as the light duty vs the heavy duty OME goes, which should I run considering I have the Gobi roof rack? That thing definitely adds some weight. Thanks guys!

Also, what I may do is get the Plush rides up front and wait a little while on the rears just to see what that does. Would that be a terrible idea with the 60 stock springs in the back or would that maybe be a good combo?

The 2617 are for a constant 150kg (330 lb) load.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474743978.828887.jpg

http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

It will ride soft up front, and hard in the rear, with the 60's, but you can do it.

The 2617 are for a constant 150kg (330 lb) load.

View attachment 223906

http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

It will ride soft up front, and hard in the rear, with the 60's, but you can do it.

So call me dumb for asking, but that 330lb load is referring to a constant 330lb of gear or extra weight over a stock jeep correct? So the medium duty would be fine for a rig that has, say, a 100lb roof rack and occasionally some extra gear. The heavy duty would then, theoretically be really stiff on my Jeep

notnalc68

So call me dumb for asking, but that 330lb load is referring to a constant 330lb of gear or extra weight over a stock jeep correct? So the medium duty would be fine for a rig that has, say, a 100lb roof rack and occasionally some extra gear. The heavy duty would then, theoretically be really stiff on my Jeep

Probably. I had a stock bumper, and soft top, and just from measuring at the center of the rear fender, I got about 2.5 inches from the 2630 coils. If you run heavy later, you could throw a spacer on top.

Edit--I just realized that I purchased the #2617 coils.

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug

If you go with the plush rides you'll need 1.5" or 1.75" rear spacers and probably front lower control arms, without those things you'll be way nose high and your caster will be off causing the jeep to handle not great on the highway. Actually, add a rear spacer and then if it handles poorly, then add the front lower control arms.

This forum does rock!

If you go with the plush rides you'll need 1.5" or 1.75" rear spacers and probably front lower control arms, without those things you'll be way nose high and your caster will be off causing the jeep to handle not great on the highway. Actually, add a rear spacer and then if it handles poorly, then add the front lower control arms.

This forum does rock!

You think I will need front lower control arms even with just the 2" Plush rides? The budget really doesn't allow for that kind of stuff at the moment. I'm hoping I can squeak by with just springs and Shocks until I can afford to do the rest. And luckily I already have a 2" spacer for the rear if needed :)

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You think I will need front lower control arms even with just the 2" Plush rides? The budget really doesn't allow for that kind of stuff at the moment. I'm hoping I can squeak by with just springs and Shocks until I can afford to do the rest. And luckily I already have a 2" spacer for the rear if needed :)

No will not need arms.

Clutch

Caught the Bug

I say that because you'll get way more than 2" out of the springs. It seems like most o the evo stuff is really intended for 4 doors and 2 doors are alot lighter. I'm not bad mouthing evo cause I love evo, just stating my experience.

I got 3.5" from the Evo coils and my caster was way low, so I got some synergy fixed front lower control arms for $225 and that fixed the problem.

The 2" spacers in the back will work fine.

notnalc68

I stand corrected, I ordered the 2617.

bthomas

For what it's worth, after riding around for 5 years with a lift kit that must have been meant for a 3/4 ton diesel.... I recently changed out the coils in my 2 door, and as bad as I wanted to try the plush rides, I didn't want that much lift either. I put a set of OME 2615/2617 which are the no load fronts, and medium load rears. What I got out of it was right at 2" of lift after the springs settled a few days.
That's WITH steel bumpers, winch, skids, sliders, tools and trail gear.
I can't really compare to stock ride, as I don't really remember now, but it rides really nice. Definitely on the soft side, I'd say. The best I remember ARB tech support told me those coils are the same spring rate as stock for the fronts, and only slightly firmer for the rears. The rear does feel a tad more firm than the front, but that's good for when you have some extra weight back there. I hope this helps.

notnalc68

For what it's worth, after riding around for 5 years with a lift kit that must have been meant for a 3/4 ton diesel.... I recently changed out the coils in my 2 door, and as bad as I wanted to try the plush rides, I didn't want that much lift either. I put a set of OME 2615/2617 which are the no load fronts, and medium load rears. What I got out of it was right at 2" of lift after the springs settled a few days.
That's WITH steel bumpers, winch, skids, sliders, tools and trail gear.
I can't really compare to stock ride, as I don't really remember now, but it rides really nice. Definitely on the soft side, I'd say. The best I remember ARB tech support told me those coils are the same spring rate as stock for the fronts, and only slightly firmer for the rears. The rear does feel a tad more firm than the front, but that's good for when you have some extra weight back there. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I suggested that. I already had the EVO coils, and paired them up with the OME, and they were nice.

COLOJK

As mentioned above, the JKS Jspec could be a good option. If I remember right, they have specific springs for 2 door or 4door to give a pretty accurate lift height

jkwebbie

I would go with the leveling kit from EVO like everyone's said before. But I'm running the 3" enforcer lift and 37s, here's a pic of mine. Hopefully it'll help you out.

Attachments

• 1474832414114.jpg
    1474832414114.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom