Rust Prevention

RonG

I'm doing some work that involves drilling holes (about 3") through some body panels. Is it sufficient to paint the edges and chips with touch-up or should I do something more?

Ddays

Hooked
I'm doing some work that involves drilling holes (about 3") through some body panels. Is it sufficient to paint the edges and chips with touch-up or should I do something more?

Is it something that will be visible once you're done with the holes or will they be covered up? I'm gonna assume with a 3" hole its gonna be covered up. Paint the edges with a self-etching primer and paint over that. Should be good enough.

Edit: If it's never going to be seen again hitting it good with a can of undercoating might be a good idea instead of paint.

Last edited:

swampdog

Is it something that will be visible once you're done with the holes or will they be covered up? I'm gonna assume with a 3" hole its gonna be covered up. Paint the edges with a self-etching primer and paint over that. Should be good enough.

Yup. 2 coasts of self etching and a couple costs of paint will work great.

8POUND

I agree with both DDays and Swampdog. I did this when I drilled the holes for nutserts. I also put some paint in a little cup and used some Q-tips to paint the backside of the holes. I tried to cover up as much exposed metal as I could to prevent any future problems.

Top Bottom