Stock vs. Lift and tires

ctlazer5

How much poorly would a JKU ride with a 2.5" lift, 2" Budget Boost, or 1 3/4" daystar comfort boost. What do you think is the best option? Basically I am just trying to figure out the effects on a daily driver that any of these would have so I can make a decision. All your knowledge and expierience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I have a stock suspension, wheels, tires on a 2013 JKU Sahara 6spd.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming that you're hoping to install coil spacers with shock extensions, your ride quality shouldn't change at all.

ctlazer5

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which one would you suggest...I am not a big off roader but go some times...I just want a little more height but want the same ride quality...also if this isn't a good company what would you suggest?

Which one?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_1140_07.htm

or

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_1000.htm

Honestly, neither. The one that comes with shocks isn't worth it as the shocks you get are just old school twin tube hydro shocks and they'll offer a ride that is subpar to what you have now. I would recommend you spend just a bit more a get a kit that comes with shock extensions as they will allow you to keep your factory shocks. If anything, I might look for a set of used Rubicon take off shocks as they will offer a better ride. You'll also want a kit that'll offer rear brake line extension brackets and new rear sway bar links. Other than that, spacers are spacers.

Tackerdown

Banned
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2.php
with every thing said, at the bottom of the page in this link is the series II with every thing WOL said.There is also one just like it from Teraflex witch I believe is recommended over the R C lift from others. I have the Rough country on a 2011 JKUR and it rides just like it did before. hope this helps.

Tackerdown

Banned
Last edited:

ctlazer5

(they told me to go with the 1.5" spacers)

there are lots of write ups on that two I think 35's spacers and some trimming to. some of the pros will chime in but all thats in the teck area to

So you would recommend spacers? The spacers i see say they come with two...or a pair...does that mean 4? or you have to order two sets?

Tackerdown

Banned
that write up said the kit came with 4 spacers but i only found them sold in pairs, so you would need two kits.at least in the q tec and spider web sight.

bl17z90

This is the terraflex 2.5 budget boost spacer set with shock extensions availble on 4wd.com

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-J...m.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=TER1355210

In the write up, eddie recommends that you also get:
a front adjustable track bar
a rear track bar relocation bracket, or a rear adjustable track bar
These keep the axles centered under the Jeep. I recommend JKS front and rear Adjustable Track Bars.

He also recommended in his write up that you get adjustable front lower control arms. These, being adjustable, can be made longer or shorter to push the axle farther forward on either side to fix the caster adjustments, which will be thrown off when you raise the vehicle, and will cause you to pull to one side. I recommend something like the Terraflex Adjustable Lower Front Control Arms.

What you mentioned about needing wheel spacers only comes into play if you go with a wider tire and don't get new wheels with the right amount of back spacing usually 4.5 is the magic number for a typical budget build.
The stock wheels do not have enough back spacing (can't remember the exact amount) but what that means is they don't stick out far enough from the axle to allow a wider tire. If you put on a 35' tire it will be 12.5, the narrowest you can find close to 35' is 305 mm I beleive. I recommend a set of Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, yes you do have to buy 2 sets.

So all in all the kit that I linked you too is everything needed to raise the vehicle and have it work properly but to have your jeep properly aligned you will need to center the axles with track bars and to fix the caster you will need the control arms.

Hope this helps and if you need a link to any of the parts mentioned let me know and I'll see if I can find anything or you.

Good luck!! :thumb:

Last edited:

ctlazer5

This is the terraflex 2.5 budget boost spacer set with shock extensions availble on 4wd.com

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-J...m.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=TER1355210

In the write up, eddie recommends that you also get:
a front adjustable track bar
a rear track bar relocation bracket, or a rear adjustable track bar
These keep the axles centered under the Jeep. I recommend JKS front and rear Adjustable Track Bars.

He also recommended in his write up that you get adjustable front lower control arms. These, being adjustable, can be made longer or shorter to push the axle farther forward on either side to fix the caster adjustments, which will be thrown off when you raise the vehicle, and will cause you to pull to one side. I recommend something like the Terraflex Adjustable Lower Front Control Arms.

What you mentioned about needing wheel spacers only comes into play if you go with a wider tire and don't get new wheels with the right amount of back spacing usually 4.5 is the magic number for a typical budget build.
The stock wheels do not have enough back spacing (can't remember the exact amount) but what that means is they don't stick out far enough from the axle to allow a wider tire. If you put on a 35' tire it will be 12.5, the narrowest you can find close to 35' is 305 mm I beleive. I recommend a set of Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, yes you do have to buy 2 sets.

So all in all the kit that I linked you too is everything needed to raise the vehicle and have it work properly but to have your jeep properly aligned you will need to center the axles with track bars and to fix the caster you will need the control arms.

Hope this helps and if you need a link to any of the parts mentioned let me know and I'll see if I can find anything or you.

Good luck!! :thumb:

Wow thank you so much. Really helpful..But yes I do need some help on finding the other parts...track bars etc. I found the TF kit..what else do you suggest to make it work perfectly...links to websites...i might still get the wheel spacers no matter what. all your help is greatly appreciated!!

j.house013

The spacers are recommended to add some clearance for the longer rear sway bar links. It looks like u may scrape the inside of the rear wheel if you were really flexed out. I'm running teraflex 2.5bb with shock extensions and 285 70 17 tires on stock wheels with no spacers. No problems for me. Did I mention that I LOVE the setup and the customer service Teraflex provides!! The ride is great, it was easy to install and will look amazing when I upgrade to the spacers and 295s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those coming in late to the party, this is the write-up that I'm being referenced in:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up

And, just so that it's clear, what I recommend doesn't mean they are required to get. An adjustable front track bar is definitely NOT required and will only serve to recenter your axle. Most BB kits today come with rear relocation brackets so that won't be an issue. Adjustable front lower control arms are ONLY needed IF you feel like your Jeep wanders at highway speeds - this is something 2-door JK's feel more than 4-doors and even at that, only some drivers notice it enough to want to address it. If you decide to keep your factory wheels, 1.5" wheel spacers ARE NEEDED as they will help prevent your rear sidewalls from making contact with the rear sway bar link ends and will give you more turning clearance up front as well.

ctlazer5

In conclusion, if I get the TF 2.5" budget boost (the complete set) and wheel spacers...how much will my ride of the car change...more bumpy? same? etc.

Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you'll still be running the same coils and same shocks and so nothing will change. You'll just be a bit taller.

Top Bottom