RAPTOR LINING JANE : Spraying New Life into the Tub of an old Jeep CJ5

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We were pretty lucky with Calamity Jane, our 1974 Jeep CJ5 Renegade, in that her floor pans and bed were relatively whole (as opposed to being filled with "holes") and surprisingly rust free. Sure, there were a few issues that needed to be addressed but nothing you wouldn't expect to see on a Jeep that's over 40 years old. More than anything, the inside of the tub just looked worn out and tired and to help give it some new life, Cindy and I decided to spray it in with U-POL Raptor Bed Liner.

In the past, we've used other bed lining products that came out of an aerosol can and found that they tended to come out too thin, lacked a good tooth and chipped or was damaged easily. We've also used products like Herculiner which looked great initially especially if you sprayed it on but it tended to fade quickly and went from a nice glossy black to a dull gray in less than a year. U-POL Raptor Bed Liner has been around for a few years now and of the vehicles we've seen it applied to, they all have been able to stand the test of time both in terms of durability and in terms of looks. Of course, what I liked most about Raptor Liner is how it comes packaged in individual bottles designed to be attached to an undercoating gun and can be sprayed on with ease.

Here are some before and after photos of what Calamity Jane's tub looked like versus what it looks like now with U-POL Raptor Bed Liner.

Here's a shot of the U-POL Raptor Bed Liner kit. I already had an undercoating gun that I've had for about 20 years so I decided to not get the one you can buy with the kit. I should note that this was a MISTAKE as the bottles would not screw onto my old gun. This didn't prevent me from using the product but it did require more effort. I would highly recommend buying the Shutz gun that U-POL sells.
RNDM2425.jpg

This is a shot of what the floor pans looked like before we started tearing down Jane.
main.php

The worst of it was pretty much this tear on the passenger side floor pan and it needed to be welded up before we could move on.
main.php

As you can see, the bed had some surface rust where an old storage box used to sit on but aside from that, it was still in pretty good shape.
main.php

After tearing everything out of Jane's tub, we cleaned and scuffed everything prior to treating all the areas that still had traces of rust with POR-15.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Once the POR-15 had completely cured, we were able to go back and scuff it up and give it a nice tooth for the Raptor bed liner to adhere to.
NGGQ1980.jpg

OWBX9273.jpg

To help prevent the transmission tunnel cover plates from becoming permanently fused to the bed, we decided to remove and treat them outside of the tub.
JZIK8344.jpg

We will just be painting the transmission shifter cover plate and so we removed it as well.
RDUS2345.jpg

Time to thoroughly mask off anything and everything that we didn't want Raptor Lined.
GLUY8557.jpg

HEAU9165.jpg

SDDS6144.jpg

When all was said and done, it took almost 3 bottles of Raptor Bed Liner to cover the entire bed of this CJ5. When we applied it, it was probably about 80-85 F and so the flash off time or time between coats was faster than the 60 minutes the directions say it will take at 68 F. In fact, the Raptor Liner seemed ready to be reapplied just after 15 minutes but we decided to wait at least half an hour before reapplying. In the end, everything went smoothly and I think the results look great. Here are a few shots of what Jane's tub looks like now. First, a shot right after spraying.
FDBA6289.jpg

Some detailed shots once all the tape and plastic was removed.
UYNV5698.jpg

LSWN9092.jpg

OOUR6266.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

I'll wait till the Raptor Liner is fully cured before reinstalling the transmission cover plates and according to the instructions, that should be in about 5-7 days at 68 F. But, here's a shot of what they look like.
VHDP7156.jpg

If you're thinking about bed lining your Jeep, I would highly recommend using U-POL Raptor Bed Liner. :thumb:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Wow that looks great Eddie. I've heard good things about raptor liner and its durability over time.

Andy5160

Hooked
WOW
This is really nice. Amazing how you can transform things with the right tools,materials and knowledge

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, glad you like what you're seeing. :cool:

Of all the DIY bed liners, Raptor really is one of the convenient and easiest to use and it's priced right in there with all the other popular brands.

That looks great!!!! What PSI did you spray it at? Do you have an inline reducer or just at the compressor? How about a moisture reducer in line as well? All things Ive been thinking about getting for my compressor for a few projects coming up. :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great!!!! What PSI did you spray it at? Do you have an inline reducer or just at the compressor? How about a moisture reducer in line as well? All things Ive been thinking about getting for my compressor for a few projects coming up. :beer:

I sprayed at about 45 psi and just at the compressor. Having done this before, what I can tell you is that a lower psi like this will give you more of a tooth and a higher one like 80 psi will give you a finer sandpaper like tooth. I didn't use a moisture reducer but it didn't seem to be a problem for me.

benatc1

Hooked
nice work Eddie, I used to do spray-on bed-liners with my dad as his side business- for sure a lot of prep work but always comes out nice! its looking good

I sprayed at about 45 psi and just at the compressor. Having done this before, what I can tell you is that a lower psi like this will give you more of a tooth and a higher one like 80 psi will give you a finer sandpaper like tooth. I didn't use a moisture reducer but it didn't seem to be a problem for me.

Again, it looks great!!!! Thanks for the info!!

Top Bottom