LS Swap or Axles next?

g00se04

Trying to determine the next step for my jeep.

JKU 2009 3.8 6ps 100k 37"s dana 30/44 with chromo
Oil usage is about 1 1/2 quarts between changes
Clutch is still factory

Do I perform the 5.3 ls swap with manual to automatic conversion (~$21k) first and get 60's 8-10months later?

Swap in Dynatrac 60's (~$12-14k) and push the ls swap off 6-8 months.

Or I have a local company willing to cut me a deal on the spicer 60's ($11k) which could bring the ls swap within 3-6months.

Thoughts,feedback, comments that will make me go crying to mom?

Grubbicon

If you beat your jeep definitely need to do axles first because the 30/44 isnt going to take the power. If it were me I would pick the Dynatracs first, but just depends on the money situation. If I went that route id go with a 80 rear with the extra power and weight of the 4dr.

Last edited:

Sullivan

Axles first. Not even a question.
If you don't, plan on the jeep sitting for 6-8 months until you get the axles because that set up and motor will tear those up quick

WJCO

Meme King
Axles. And go with Dynatrac. If you're dropping that kind of money, don't go with anything less.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If it were my money, I'd do axles first unless it's not your daily driver. Then do whichever floats your boat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but really, if you have to ask, you have never pushed your Jeep as is hard enough for it to matter.

thardy

Banned
Axles first and 60/80 combo. Also, where are you getting a $21k price for a 5.3? That seems steep to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Axles first and 60/80 combo. Also, where are you getting a $21k price for a 5.3? That seems steep to me.

For a new crate motor, that's sounds about right. Of course, other costs that should also be factored in are new drive shafts and a transfer case unless you're just going to use the factory one.

thardy

Banned
For a new crate motor, that's sounds about right. Of course, other costs that should also be factored in are new drive shafts and a transfer case unless you're just going to use the factory one.

This is true in regards to the Tcase and drive shafts. If it were me, I don't think I could do a 5.3 for that amount of money. I'd be going LQ9 or LS3 personally.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is true in regards to the Tcase and drive shafts. If it were me, I don't think I could do a 5.3 for that amount of money. I'd be going LQ9 or LS3 personally.

It's why we ended up locating and using an L94 motor out of a wrecked Denali. That allowed us to save some money and have the kind of power/torque we really wanted.

g00se04

It's why we ended up locating and using an L94 motor out of a wrecked Denali. That allowed us to save some money and have the kind of power/torque we really wanted.

I have bounced between the 5.3 & 6.2 but haven't committed, I just want the jeep to be close to a stock 3.6. I know my quote includes driveshafts and converting the jeep from 6spd to automatic.

WJCO

Meme King
I have bounced between the 5.3 & 6.2 but haven't committed, I just want the jeep to be close to a stock 3.6. I know my quote includes driveshafts and converting the jeep from 6spd to automatic.

So you're considering dropping 20k to keep the Jeep close to stock? Why not just spend 5-6 k for another 3.6 ?

Sullivan

So you're considering dropping 20k to keep the Jeep close to stock? Why not just spend 5-6 k for another 3.6 ?

Was just going to say the same thing.

To the OP, that's a lot of coin for a 5.3. Look up the reviews on all the 5.3's out there. For that kind of price you can easily do other better options.

g00se04

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I want my jeep with a 5.3/6.2 on 37"s to have the same 0-60 or coming up to highway speed as a stock jeep with the 3.6. I want to be able to climb a east coast "mountain" with traffic and not with the semi's.

WJCO

Meme King
I want my jeep with a 5.3/6.2 on 37"s to have the same 0-60 or coming up to highway speed as a stock jeep with the 3.6. I want to be able to climb a east coast "mountain" with traffic and not with the semi's.

You can fix a lot of that with gearing, and with bigger axles you can get a good ratio without worrying about breaking the pinion. If your main reason for wanting a new motor is because of the oil burning, just keep adding oil. I wouldn't waste the money on a larger motor unless you just want the extra power.

g00se04

I have the 3.8 currently which I would never spend the money in dropping in a new 3.8 that doesnt use oil or trying some 3.6 swap.

I am after the performance of a factory jeep with a 3.6 after I have swapped a 5.3 or 6.2 in my jeep with 37"s as far as normal everyday driving.

Draconianwinter

He is looking for the same power to weight ratio of the stock set up. Not that he is going to be stock. Like everyone has stated though axles first. Those stock axles will not hold up to the set you are looking at.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom