Gas cap and check engine light?

10abadilla/jk

1475291080272.jpg
Got into the jeep this afternoon and the gas cap and check engine light is on. I checked the gas cap multiple times and the light stayed on while driving around as well as the check engine light. My question is can the gas cap also make the check engine light come on or does it seem like something else is at play being that both lights are in? I also inspected everything and all good good. It's running just fine as well. Thank you all for the help.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BamBamDeer

I have had the gas cap indicator come on...when I forgot to put my cap on. It seems like it took it a while to reset after I put my cap on. I don't remember the engine light coming on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

The gas cap will make the check engine light go on. Same thing happened to me once. I cleaned the gasket on the cap and cranked it down really well and it hasn't happened since. If that doesn't work for you, you may need to get a new cap.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Drdiesel1

Thank you I'll try that today

What year is your Jeep ? The system will show Gas Cap when a small leak is detected and it may not have anything to do
with the cap itself. The best thing to do would be to pull the DTC data from the PCM and record it. Replace the cap and
wait to see if the light comes back on. The EVAP system should be covered for 5 years or 50K miles at least, on newer
Jeeps. CA has some that will be covered up to 7 years and 70K miles. It all depends on Year Make and Model as far as
warranty coverage policy. You can look in your owners manual or manual supplement and find that specific information.

jeeeep

Hooked
when my gas cap sensor goes off I clean the filler tube edge and the cap o-ring then apply a very thin amount of lip balm on the o-ring.
takes a couple of key cycles for the warning to go off.
have done this prob once a year since new. i try to do it before yearly emissions test, the cap has never failed

LetsGoMuddin

If you're able to pull the code I can look it up for you. You should be able to cycle the key off and on five times to read codes.

10abadilla/jk

What year is your Jeep ? The system will show Gas Cap when a small leak is detected and it may not have anything to do
with the cap itself. The best thing to do would be to pull the DTC data from the PCM and record it. Replace the cap and
wait to see if the light comes back on. The EVAP system should be covered for 5 years or 50K miles at least, on newer
Jeeps. CA has some that will be covered up to 7 years and 70K miles. It all depends on Year Make and Model as far as
warranty coverage policy. You can look in your owners manual or manual supplement and find that specific information.
The evap has been pulled off now for over 2 weeks with no codes or check engine light coming on. I damaged it last trip. Waiting on the new one to come in. It's a 2012.

PB's-12JKU

I have had my gascap light come on a few times, and like Jeeeep said, clean the filler tube edge and clean and grease the o-ring. I used o-ring grease from my dive repair kit, but anything will work.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedSyndrome

I had the check engine light come on a few weeks ago. My Jeep is nearly four years old. The code said small evap leak. I checked Youtube on the code and most of them recommended replacing the gas cap with a factory cap. I checked my cap and it seemed to come off with very light pressure. I changed it out and after several cycles over a week the check engine light went out. No issues since.

10abadilla/jk

I had the check engine light come on a few weeks ago. My Jeep is nearly four years old. The code said small evap leak. I checked Youtube on the code and most of them recommended replacing the gas cap with a factory cap. I checked my cap and it seemed to come off with very light pressure. I changed it out and after several cycles over a week the check engine light went out. No issues since.
Yea the code is still on so I will have to swap it out with a new cap.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yea I have the check engine light on as well. Both came on at the same time.

that's normal- if you have the original gas cap try what I posted. sometimes it may take several starts before it resets. I've had it take up to a week unless I reset by disconnect the battery cables for 15 minutes to reset.

Top Bottom