Fuel tank vapor port cracked/broken!

ScoobyCarolanNC

Well, I'm calling in the pros. Took in ole red (2010 unlimited with 89K) for small/large evap codes figuring it was the canister. Since she's a CPO I'll pay the deductible & call it a day. Well, my dealer (who I trust) says the evap port on the tank has the hose built in. It is busted & a replacement gas tank isn't covered.

I'm not even sure what approach to take on this except I'm not buying an $850 gas tank unless I absolutely have to.

So what advice can you give me to try and see how bad this is? No fuel spills & only smelled gas maybe once on a hot summer day so I'm feeling like this may be a repairable situation.

Where's the port on the tank? What am I looking for? I'm way out of my wheelhouse here & would appreciate some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what your dealership is talking about. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "built in" hose. If it were me, I would lower your tank and see where the actual "break" is. Of course, that's even assuming there is a break at all as I find that hard to believe. More than likely, you have a problem at the EVAP canister which is common.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what your dealership is talking about. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "built in" hose. If it were me, I would lower your tank and see where the actual "break" is. Of course, that's even assuming there is a break at all as I find that hard to believe. More than likely, you have a problem at the EVAP canister which is common.

Thanks Eddie. That's what I felt & when I did a basic search I couldn't find anything about the "built in" hose. But I kinda figured they're not allowed to fix anything, just replace parts. If that hose was part of the gas tank assembly (built in or not) they'd only be allowed to replace the whole thing. Is the hose accessible without dropping the tank? That's a job I'm not comfortable with.

Thanks for the quick reply & guidance so early in the am!

Sent from my duck blind.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm wondering if it's a fitting on the tank. Not sure if jk has one like that. Either way, auto parts store sell fuel-resistant epoxy sealer. I would go that way. No way I would pay for a tank like that. You'll probably have to look around the tank to see if there is a broken part anywhere. If you are going to have to drop it, make sure it's close to empty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. That's what I felt & when I did a basic search I couldn't find anything about the "built in" hose. But I kinda figured they're not allowed to fix anything, just replace parts. If that hose was part of the gas tank assembly (built in or not) they'd only be allowed to replace the whole thing. Is the hose accessible without dropping the tank? That's a job I'm not comfortable with.

Thanks for the quick reply & guidance so early in the am!

Sent from my duck blind.

Again, your problem is most likely at the EVAP canister. There is a small white box looking thing attached to the back of it. If I could guess, the gasket that goes in between the two is bad. Or, if you have an older canister, there may not even be one but could use one. If you apply some RTV to the connection point and then reassemble, that might get your check engine light to go off and fix the smell. IF it really is a problem at a connection at the tank, you would need to lower it. This is not as big of a deal to do as you would think but it does help to be almost empty when you do it. Otherwise, a floor jack and some help if you can get it is all you need beyond basic tools.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Again, your problem is most likely at the EVAP canister. There is a small white box looking thing attached to the back of it. If I could guess, the gasket that goes in between the two is bad. Or, if you have an older canister, there may not even be one but could use one. If you apply some RTV to the connection point and then reassemble, that might get your check engine light to go off and fix the smell. IF it really is a problem at a connection at the tank, you would need to lower it. This is not as big of a deal to do as you would think but it does help to be almost empty when you do it. Otherwise, a floor jack and some help if you can get it is all you need beyond basic tools.

You're the man. I'll keep the team posted!

Sent from my duck blind.

Draconianwinter

There is no such thing as a built in hose. Least not that I have ever heard of. Houses are rubber lines are either a hard plastic or metal. He may have meant a fitting but definitely not a hose. And like Eddie said it is not likely the tank. I have seen fuel tanks beat slap to hell and not have any of the fittings Broken. Hope it is a simple fix regardless of what ends up being

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Drdiesel1

I have noticed some of the Chrysler evap systems will have a port on the tank that is not serviceable.
If this is the case with yours, you might be able to perform a modification to repair it. Dealers will not
do this type of work and will require a replacement tank. Emissions are regulated and alternative repairs
are not something a dealer would be willing to do. Liability is the number one reason for this. Number two
would be lack of a correct repair that they might own if they tried to patch it and it failed in a short period.

Most reputable shops won't accept the responsibility for these back alley patch jobs. If it's the fitting on the tank,
make sure you get a picture and post it. It will be a white vent port on the top of the tank for the line that goes
to the evap system. Good luck with getting it fixed. Don't waste to much money on alternate repairs if you try it.

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey y'all. Climbed underneath & looked around. Everything looks snug and proper from the evap canister up to the top of fuel tank. I definitely didn't see any signs that any fuel had spilled. I'm gonna hit up FCA and see about my warranty.

Sent from my duck blind.

Modit

If you do locate a crack in or around the fitting and decide to attempt a repair, I've had good luck with JB Weld in situations similar to this.
It would be important to try and figure out why the part failed. Maybe there is a problem with the routing of the line that would cause tension as parts move or allow something to catch on it off-road?
Also, I'd think about adding a bracket to secure the line a short distance from the fitting to isolate the fitting from stress and vibration.

TonyViv

I had what seems to be the same problem. If you look on top of the gas tank at the back there is a white plastic port with a nipple coming off of it going to the evap canister, It is a known issue that the nipple cracks, mine did although you have to look closely to see it. I almost missed it until I pushed on the tubing. I did have a CEL on but don't remember the code it threw. For a fix, I used the ink tube of a pen and it pressed inside the left over part of the cracked off nipple and the tube it went to... I think if I had to do it again I would use the ink tube and cut it very short like a sleeve and press the cracked piece back together and Jb weld around it to hold it in place...
Here is a pic of my fix, sorry it isn't better but its hard to get the camera up there..

gastank.jpg

Good luck

Tony

ScoobyCarolanNC

I had what seems to be the same problem. If you look on top of the gas tank at the back there is a white plastic port with a nipple coming off of it going to the evap canister, It is a known issue that the nipple cracks, mine did although you have to look closely to see it. I almost missed it until I pushed on the tubing. I did have a CEL on but don't remember the code it threw. For a fix, I used the ink tube of a pen and it pressed inside the left over part of the cracked off nipple and the tube it went to... I think if I had to do it again I would use the ink tube and cut it very short like a sleeve and press the cracked piece back together and Jb weld around it to hold it in place...
Here is a pic of my fix, sorry it isn't better but its hard to get the camera up there..

View attachment 225284

Good luck

Tony

Yup based on how they poorly described it to me I think this is it. Thanks so much for the pics & idea!

And thanks to everyone for chipping in to help out!

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

View attachment 225284

Good luck

Tony

I'm at it right now, but I'm doing like you recommended. Use the pen as a joint. Then I'll JB both pieces together. I can't thank you enough!

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Ugly as sin, but I think it'll do. It was had for me to get the pieces to marry back up so I think it's just under too much tension, like there should be another 1mm of hose. If you're in my boat here's some help:

IMG_1475430579.907932.jpg

IMG_1475430554.029275.jpg

IMG_1475430592.023454.jpg

IMG_1475430602.913426.jpg

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Good for you for getting it fixed. Hope it stays long-term for you.

Thanks bud. I do too. Now that it's on I wish I had done it differently but I don't see how it could break. I'm concerned that the diameter is thinner now, but from what I understand I don't really need to worry about too much pressure.

Sent from my duck blind.

Modit

I think I'll go look at mine and see if they have changed the design. If not, I may do a preemptive strike and reinforce that fitting with some JB Weld.

TonyViv

I just pressed the pen piece in and didn't use any adhesive, it was a pretty tight fit and its been like that for over a year. If the tube goes bad I guess pens are cheap..

Tony

Top Bottom