Rethinking lift height

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
When I bought my jeep it already had a TERAFLEX 4" or 4.5" lift installed and 35's. Needless to say my 35's look very small and I'll be going to 37's anyway.
Now the fact that it's TERAFLEX and rides terrible is the first problem. Second problem is that it has fox 2.0 remote rezies that are for a 3.5" lift and stock driveshafts (both limiting down travel.

My question is this: do you think it would make more sense to go down to a 3" plush ride with a half inch spacer or stick with the 4" plush ride and slowly upgrade everything else. Also I'll be stopping at 37's for a while so do you guys think the 4 or 4.5" is still too tall for 37's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From my experience, the TeraFlex 4" coils yielded closer to 5" of lift and in addition to offering a really harsh ride, that's crazy tall for 35's. If you're going to run 37's and want to run Plush Ride coils, I would recommend running their 4" coils as they will yield a true 4". In fact, IF you tend to carry a ton of gear, your rear coils will sag when fully loaded. When I ran then, I ended up running 1" coil spacers with them in the rear to help compensate for all my crap.

Boat Guy

Springs & lift height

I have 4 1/2" Metalcloak springs & running 35's on a JKU. Originally I had a 3 1/2" Metalcloak lift. The original lift required a front drive shaft, in my case a Woody. The extra inch required a rear drive shaft and I again went with a Woody. The advantage of the taller springs is mainly going down obstacles and the added break over angle. If I were to run 37's, I would go back to 3 1/2" springs keeping the high weight the same.

When I bought my jeep it already had a TERAFLEX 4" or 4.5" lift installed and 35's. Needless to say my 35's look very small and I'll be going to 37's anyway.
Now the fact that it's TERAFLEX and rides terrible is the first problem. Second problem is that it has fox 2.0 remote rezies that are for a 3.5" lift and stock driveshafts (both limiting down travel.

My question is this: do you think it would make more sense to go down to a 3" plush ride with a half inch spacer or stick with the 4" plush ride and slowly upgrade everything else. Also I'll be stopping at 37's for a while so do you guys think the 4 or 4.5" is still too tall for 37's?

like Eddie said, id go with the 4" plush rides. especially if you plan on running full fenders. im running the 3" with 37s and thats with cut fenders. with four adults, i do tap the rear bump stops every now and then on bump trails.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I do have cut fenders, but still. And I do carry a ton of weight, pretty much all of my tools. The main thing I do like about the height is the breakover

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Echoing what's already been said. If you are looking to run 35's stick with 3" of lift, otherwise 37's are best paired with a 3.5"-4" lift. My buddy is running 35's on 3" Plush ride coils. We just installed 1/2" coil spacers on his rig yesterday to compensate for his rig being loaded down.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I'm wanting to go 37s when my 35s are worn down too and don't plan on going any bigger. I have a rubicon express 2.5 lift with a 1-3/4 inch spacer in the front to level it out. So when I go to 37s should also go with the 4 inch plus ride? I thought that 3 -3.5 was an ideal height for 37s? But that does make sense if you have a lot of heavy gear. I don't carry a lot of gear with me but with my tire carrier loaded up and rear bumper it does get a little heavy in the rear. I also have cut fenders.

Last edited:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Echoing what's already been said. If you are looking to run 35's stick with 3" of lift, otherwise 37's are best paired with a 3.5"-4" lift. My buddy is running 35's on 3" Plush ride coils. We just installed 1/2" coil spacers on his rig yesterday to compensate for his rig being loaded down.

I see you have time for your "other" friends :naw:

cartertripp

I've had 35s and 37s.. now wanting 40s. Im sure you will do the same lol. To add some insight to the thread, I have a 3" lift and 37s with no problems (also have PS Crusher Fenders and cut a little bit in the wheel wells.) You should be good with 4" and 37s. You could go 40s but then you might have to do some axle and gearing work.

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I've had 35s and 37s.. now wanting 40s. Im sure you will do the same lol. To add some insight to the thread, I have a 3" lift and 37s with no problems (also have PS Crusher Fenders and cut a little bit in the wheel wells.) You should be good with 4" and 37s. You could go 40s but then you might have to do some axle and gearing work.

The end goal is 40's but my shitty falkens are getting worn and my d44's aren't quite up to the task of 40's. So the progression will be 37's (on 35's now), lots of little shit, then pr60 front and rear, possibly 80 rear (we'll see) and 40's. Long term is ls3 when she's paid off

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
considering your end game i would say makes moves that go in that direction instead of stepping down to only step up later down the line .. just my 2 cents

Top Bottom