JKU Doors Stuck On Jeep

CarolinaJK

Alright guys, I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a method that works. So my buddy purchased a JKU this week. We removed the hinge bolts and began to attempt to remove the doors. They wouldn't come off. Soaked the hinges in PB Blaster overnight, tried to hammer the hinges free, and used a jack and a 2x4 and that just lifted the Jeep itself. We managed to get one door off, but the other three still will not come off. The hinges seem aligned, so any advice would be awesome. If all fails, he'll just be taking it back to Jeep to have them replace the hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CarolinaJK

This is definitely another method we were thinking of trying. This would really be a last resort though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Also, we tried moving the door back and forth while lifting.

This is the method that has always worked for me. Gregmorts doors took me about 15 mins to get off and that was with the new qtech delrin hinge lines he just put in. I highly suggest that once you get them off you take the stock lines out and either put new stock ones in or put in the liners from TMR customs

CarolinaJK

Thanks for the advice guys! We may just have to give it another go with the lifting/moving method. It seems like it's impossible, but it's worth another shot.

Stone_JKUR

Literally last week I dealt with this. Same thing. Even the part with the Jack. I switched to TMR liners as well too. To get the doors off I took the hinges off completely and used a hammer and some c clamps to get them apart.

Peak

I had the same issue. I used a jack and some wood so get it off. After a few tries it finally broke free. Once they were off I coated the hinges in white lithium grease, now they come off with little to no effort.

I had this problem a few months ago and what I did was douse all hinges with WD-40 and let it sit for about fifteen minutes, then I got my floor jack and a 4x4 wood block about 2' tall and a small pillow. You place the contraption under the door while its open and then jack it up. If it starts to lift the jeep along with the door, wiggle the door until it pops off. This worked for me! After finally getting them off, I slapped on some all purpose grease and now they slide on and off with ease!

jeeeep

Hooked
open the doors about 45 degrees then lift, I think the hinge pin may be slightly out of round.

If you try to remove them when they are full open you can eventually get them off but it's a pain. at 45* seems to allow them to slide up easier

Also use a long socket - I forget the size, but just smaller than the hinge opening and tap them from the bottom up, this will break any rust that may be keeping the hinge seized (flip the socket so the opening is at the bottom)

Last edited:

CarolinaJK

open the doors about 45 degrees then lift, I think the hinge pin may be slightly out of round.

If you try to remove them when they are full open you can eventually get them off but it's a pain. at 45* seems to allow them to slide up easier

Also use a long socket - I forget the size, but just smaller than the hinge opening and tap them from the bottom up, this will break any rust that may be keeping the hinge seized (flip the socket so the opening is at the bottom)

Already tried tapping it and at 45 degrees. Like I said, you can jack the Jeep off the ground by the doors. It's honestly unbelievable!

BeardedJK

Had to completely remove the hinges to get mine off. Took a vice and a punch to seperate the hinges. Replaced them with the TMR bushings, slide off with very little effort now. IMG_1475503029.000315.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom