Calling On South Westerners

brooklyn4x4

So I don't know if this is in the right spot or not still getting used to this new forum lay out. But I am planning a trip with my girlfriend to the grand canyon, zion and bryce national parks for the first week of November and renting an rv to travel around and stay in for 7 days. I'm looking for advice from people who are familiar with the area to give advice on what to see and what to skip. I would like to make the most out of my short time in the parks. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

My suggestion. Pick one of those parks and spend the 7 days there. If you really wanted maybe two parks. It's really hard to experience what each park has to offer if your only going to be there for a day or two in each.

Ddays

Hooked
Splitting 7 days between the Grand Canyon and the Utah parks is gonna be pushing it some. I'd pick one or the other. Arches and Canyonlands are fantastic parks as well. We didn't make it to Bryce or Zion because we ran out of time just going to the other two. And there is nothing out there NOT worth seeing. Its an amazing area. But be prepared: You'll be wondering why in the hell you're driving through Colorado and not stopping. Keep your eyes on the road if you drive thru on I70! I was in the berm constantly oogling the never-ending views!

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

g00se04

I did a trip just like this earlier this year. Grand Canyon is nice but if you don't plan on going down into the valley it can be completed in a full day. Zion is the park I left that I felt I had short changed and missed out.

Rottenbelly

Zion will have nicer weather in November. Bryce will probably have snow by then. Plenty to see in zion for a few days if you want to do some hiking.
I am about a hour from zion and Bryce and have been to both multiple times. Always lots to see.

Also just north of Zion up interstate 15 is Kolob canyons.
Has some great views and nice hikes.

Last edited:

brooklyn4x4

Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far I booked 3 nights in trailer village in grand canyon and plan on doing a mule ride on the second day. Also 3 nights in the watchman tower campground in zion. From what I can tell from looking at Google maps bryce seems like it's just over an hour from zion so I figured I could probably just do a day trip to bryce. One of the hikes I'm looking forward to most is angels landing in zion as anyone done it and does anyone know if it is open all year round.

Jtvegas

Yes. You can go from Grand Canyon north rim to Zion in a few hours. Zion is my favorite one. One thing to consider is a day in Grand Canyon is good for me if you want to spread more time in other locations.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

I have done angels landing. It's fairly easy for someone in shape to the top level part of the lookout. The last 1/4 mile is not for the faint of heart. If your afraid of heights it's scary.
If you are not in good shape your gonna hurt, cause it's steep coming up Walter's wiggles. Then going back down is tough on the knee joints. Also remember you going to.most likely be at a higher altitude depending where your from.
If the weather is bad or icy ,I would stay away from the last section of the landing. You have exposed areas of trail you can fall 1000 ft to the bottom.

Journeyman

The drive from the south rim to Zion will take a good part of a day. It's not just a few hours. Especially if your in a rv and wanting to check a few think out. I'd definitely recommend stopping at the bridge where the 89A crosses the Colorado river.

Jtvegas

The drive from the south rim to Zion will take a good part of a day. It's not just a few hours. Especially if your in a rv and wanting to check a few think out. I'd definitely recommend stopping at the bridge where the 89A crosses the Colorado river.

IMG_1475435164.337382.jpg

Yeah maybe the rv little slower.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

uberc4

North Rim is worth the Detour. Not as Touristy as the South. Watchman Campground is an awesome Campground! Definitely recommend going into Zion from the East entrance. Just know you can spend a week in Zion alone. If you have time, stop in Kanaraville (above Zion) to check out Kanara Falls. Awesome little slot canyon! (Actually liked that hike better than the Narrows in Zion) Arches and Bryce Canyon National park were ok at best. Wasn't too impressed. I found Corona Arch to be the best which wasn't even in a National Park. Canyonlands is worth a stop.

brooklyn4x4

Thanks again everyone, every time I come back to check this post there's more good info from everyone. So it seems that everyone agrees that zion is where I should spend most of my time and that the grand canyon can really be done in a day or so. I'm probably going to change to only 2 nights at trailer village in the grand canyon and book another night at watchman campground in zion, unless it's worth it to book one night in bryce canyon instead of just doing a day trip and driving to bryce canyon from zion.

Top Bottom